[parent not found: <fa.foeqpaf.nlmd9n@ifi.uio.no>]
* Re: the umount() saga for regular linux desktop users
@ 2005-01-02 19:37 Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2005-01-02 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luto, aebr, linux-kernel

Hi!
>From: Andy Lutomirski <luto@myrealbox.com>
>To: Andries Brouwer <aebr@win.tue.nl>
>Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
>Subject: Re: the umount() saga for regular linux desktop users
>
>Andries Brouwer wrote:
>>On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 05:41:02PM +0000, William wrote:
>>

>>>Regularly, when attempting to umount() a filesystem I receive
>>>'device is busy' errors. The only way (that I have found) to solve
>>>these problems is to go on a journey into processland and kill all
>>>the guilty ones that have tied themselves to the filesystem
>>>concerned.
>>

>>Do you know about the existence of the MNT_DETACH flag of umount(2),
>>or the -l option of umount(8)?
>>
>>It seems that does at least some of the things you are asking for.

Well, umount -l can be handy, but it does not allow you to get your CD
back from the drive.

umount --kill that kills whoever is responsible for filesystem being
busy would solve part of the problem (that can be done in userspace,
today).

Of course, even nicer would be "filesystem goes away now, all
operations fail", but that needs kernel support.

>Sometimes I want to "unmount cleanly, damnit, and I don't care if
>applications that are currently accessing it lose data."  Windows can
>do this, and it's _useful_.

Agreed. When some machine refuses to eject cd because it is
busy... That's bad. I have strong temptation to just remove AC power,
plug it back and then claim my CD...

								Pavel

* the umount() saga for regular linux desktop users
@ 2004-12-31 17:41 William
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: William @ 2004-12-31 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: wh

Hi

I am a linux desktop user. I love linux and all the wonderfull
open-source/free software that comes with it... blah, blah, blah :). The
following comments and suggestions about umount() stem from personal
experience and are meant as friendly feedback for all you clever people. (I
wish I understook how the kernel works)

Regularly, when attempting to umount() a filesystem I receive 'device is busy'
errors. The only way (that I have found) to solve these problems is to go on
a journey into processland and kill all the guilty ones that have tied
themselves to the filesystem concerned.

In order to help solve this problem is it possible to modify the behaviour of
the linux kernel.

In my opinion, in order for linux to be trully user friendly, "a umount()
should NEVER fail" (even if the device containing the filesystem is no
longuer attached to the system). The kernel should do it's best to satisfy
the umount request and cleanup. Maybe the kernel could try some of the
following:

1) if the device containing the filesystem (for local filesystems) is no
longer physicaly attached to the system: revoke all process access to the
filesystem and umount. Notify umount that the filesystem was not cleanly
umounted.

2) notify all processes attached to the filesystem that they must release
control of it.

3) the processes may respond to the notifications and request time to clean up
in order to read/write any remaining data.

4) processes that do not respond within a given time-frame should have their
filesystem access revoked.

5) once all the clean up has finnished...  umount the filesystem.....

I am not subscribed to the list so please email me on wh@designed4u.net

Kind Regards
      William Heyland

the new "a umount() should NEVER fail" campaign launched by me on december the
31 of 2004.  Just in time for new year ;-)

PS:  I am currently teaching myself about kernels in general and am hoping to
start contributing to linux soon. But until then... if the kernel can't
handle a umount() then nothing in userspace can do any better... rant, rant,
rant, ...  make umount() smarter.... Please?