* sysenter on x86
@ 2003-04-12 13:54 Felix von Leitner
From: Felix von Leitner @ 2003-04-12 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I just added sysenter support for linux-2.5 on x86 to the diet libc, but
I noted that the original patch said user space should jump to
0xfffff000, which segfaults.  Jumping to 0xffffe000 works.

I suggest adding a comment somewhere in the kernel about the proper
calling convention, because the glibc code is frankly not readable in
this regard.

Also, I suggest adding this interface to kernel 2.4 to easy binary
compatibility.

Felix

* Re: sysenter on x86
@ 2003-04-12 14:15 ` Arjan van de Ven
From: Arjan van de Ven @ 2003-04-12 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix von Leitner; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 15:54, Felix von Leitner wrote:
> I just added sysenter support for linux-2.5 on x86 to the diet libc, but
> I noted that the original patch said user space should jump to
> 0xfffff000, which segfaults.  Jumping to 0xffffe000 works.
>
> I suggest adding a comment somewhere in the kernel about the proper
> calling convention, because the glibc code is frankly not readable in
> this regard.

you HAVE to use the location as specified with the AT_SYSINFO elf flag.
The kernel is free to move this address around between builds, as long
as AT_SYSINFO gives the address for the location.

* Re: sysenter on x86
@ 2003-04-14 18:14   ` H. Peter Anvin
From: H. Peter Anvin @ 2003-04-14 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Followup to:  <1050156926.1449.2.camel@laptop.fenrus.com>
By author:    Arjan van de Ven <arjanv@redhat.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> --=-EFK+Hzuvs0Z6BUNjBVGk
>
> On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 15:54, Felix von Leitner wrote:
> > I just added sysenter support for linux-2.5 on x86 to the diet libc, but
> > I noted that the original patch said user space should jump to
> > 0xfffff000, which segfaults.  Jumping to 0xffffe000 works.
> >=20
> > I suggest adding a comment somewhere in the kernel about the proper
> > calling convention, because the glibc code is frankly not readable in
> > this regard.
>
> you HAVE to use the location as specified with the AT_SYSINFO elf flag.
> The kernel is free to move this address around between builds, as long
> as AT_SYSINFO gives the address for the location.

... which quite frankly kind of bites :(

	-hpa