* 2.6.0-test9 vs sound
@ 2003-10-30 15:08 Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2003-10-30 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Where can I find a step by step tutorial on installing alsa since OSS
has been deprecated?  I've been using the shareware OSS on this mobo
for years, the audio chipset is VIA 8233 family.  I have as much of
it compiled into the kernel as there are checkmarks in kconfig but
nothing soundwise is working yet.  I also put that LXD option on the
grub line, but thats being ignored, the dmesg comment is still there.
If grub.conf wasn't where it goes, please advise on that too.

I've been booted to this for about 10 hours now, and so far sound is
the only thing not working that I've needed.  Not all of my usb stuff
has been exercized yet though.

So far it just plain feels good, congrats to all involved.

Mmm, the pair of warnings about the check_region call being deprecated
are still there in the advansys driver, but it worked normally for
amanda last night.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M

* Re: 2.6.0-test9 vs sound
@ 2003-10-31  0:07 ` cliff white
From: cliff white @ 2003-10-31  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gene.heskett; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:08:27 -0500
Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:

> Where can I find a step by step tutorial on installing alsa since OSS
> has been deprecated?  I've been using the shareware OSS on this mobo
> for years, the audio chipset is VIA 8233 family.  I have as much of
> it compiled into the kernel as there are checkmarks in kconfig but
> nothing soundwise is working yet.  I also put that LXD option on the
> grub line, but thats being ignored, the dmesg comment is still there.
> If grub.conf wasn't where it goes, please advise on that too.
>
> I've been booted to this for about 10 hours now, and so far sound is
> the only thing not working that I've needed.  Not all of my usb stuff
> has been exercized yet though.
>
> So far it just plain feels good, congrats to all involved.
>
> Mmm, the pair of warnings about the check_region call being deprecated
> are still there in the advansys driver, but it worked normally for
> amanda last night.

I would start from the source:
http://alsa-project.org/documentation.php3
Or, try the Linux Audio Users Guide:

http://www.djcj.org/LAU/guide/index.php

A setup guide for the via8233, with module config info is here:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=via8233

cliffw

> --
> Cheers, Gene
> AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
> Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
> 99.27% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly
> Yahoo.com attornies please note, additions to this message
> by Gene Heskett are:
> Copyright 2003 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, all rights reserved.
>
> -

The church is near, but the road is icy.
The bar is far, but i will walk carefully. - Russian proverb

* Re: 2.6.0-test9 vs sound
@ 2003-10-31  1:49   ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2003-10-31  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cliff white; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thursday 30 October 2003 19:07, cliff white wrote:
>On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:08:27 -0500
>
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Where can I find a step by step tutorial on installing alsa since
>> OSS has been deprecated?  I've been using the shareware OSS on
>> this mobo for years, the audio chipset is VIA 8233 family.  I have
>> as much of it compiled into the kernel as there are checkmarks in
>> kconfig but nothing soundwise is working yet.  I also put that LXD
>> option on the grub line, but thats being ignored, the dmesg
>> comment is still there. If grub.conf wasn't where it goes, please
>> advise on that too.
>>
>> I've been booted to this for about 10 hours now, and so far sound
>> is the only thing not working that I've needed.  Not all of my usb
>> stuff has been exercized yet though.
>>
>> So far it just plain feels good, congrats to all involved.
>>
>> Mmm, the pair of warnings about the check_region call being
>> deprecated are still there in the advansys driver, but it worked
>> normally for amanda last night.
>
>I would start from the source:
>http://alsa-project.org/documentation.php3
>Or, try the Linux Audio Users Guide:
>
>http://www.djcj.org/LAU/guide/index.php
>
>A setup guide for the via8233, with module config info is here:
>
>http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=via8233
>
>cliffw

Ok thanks, followup Q:  Whats the version number thats in the kernel
srcs?
The latest dl's available are version 9.8.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M

* Re: 2.6.0-test9 vs sound
@ 2003-10-31  9:16     ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2003-10-31  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> writes:

> Ok thanks, followup Q:  Whats the version number thats in the kernel
> srcs?
> The latest dl's available are version 9.8.

No, it's 0.9.8.  The version in the kernel is approximately 0.9.7,
with some patches, IIRC.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@kth.se

* Re: 2.6.0-test9 vs sound
@ 2003-10-31 13:13       ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2003-10-31 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Måns Rullgård, linux-kernel

On Friday 31 October 2003 04:16, Måns Rullgård wrote:
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> writes:
>> Ok thanks, followup Q:  Whats the version number thats in the
>> kernel srcs?
>> The latest dl's available are version 9.8.
>
>No, it's 0.9.8.  The version in the kernel is approximately 0.9.7,
>with some patches, IIRC.

Well, I've got it (alsa) all compiled in without any luck.  But, I
haven't deleted/commented out, any of the rather voluminous oss "shut
this off and shut that off" lines in my modules.conf either.

Some of the tutorials in those links would seem to indicate that
/etc/modules.conf has been renamed, which I have not, and my modutils
are still the same as I've been using for a few months with 2.4.  I
saw an announcement regarding a new modutils tool set last night, do
I need to install that, and does that then fubar a 2.4.23-pre8 boot?

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M

* Re: 2.6.0-test9 vs sound
@ 2003-10-31 13:50         ` Måns Rullgård
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2003-10-31 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> writes:

> Some of the tutorials in those links would seem to indicate that
> /etc/modules.conf has been renamed, which I have not, and my modutils
> are still the same as I've been using for a few months with 2.4.  I
> saw an announcement regarding a new modutils tool set last night, do
> I need to install that, and does that then fubar a 2.4.23-pre8 boot?

You need the new module-init-tools.  If you follow the instructions
provided with them, things will continue to work with 2.4 kernels.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@kth.se

* Re: 2.6.0-test9 vs sound
@ 2003-10-31 14:49           ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2003-10-31 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Måns Rullgård, linux-kernel

On Friday 31 October 2003 08:50, Måns Rullgård wrote:
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> writes:
>> Some of the tutorials in those links would seem to indicate that
>> /etc/modules.conf has been renamed, which I have not, and my
>> modutils are still the same as I've been using for a few months
>> with 2.4.  I saw an announcement regarding a new modutils tool set
>> last night, do I need to install that, and does that then fubar a
>> 2.4.23-pre8 boot?
>
>You need the new module-init-tools.  If you follow the instructions
>provided with them, things will continue to work with 2.4 kernels.

Thanks, I'll go get them.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M

* Re: 2.6.0-test9 vs sound
@ 2003-10-31 15:21           ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2003-10-31 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Måns Rullgård, linux-kernel

On Friday 31 October 2003 08:50, Måns Rullgård wrote:
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> writes:
>> Some of the tutorials in those links would seem to indicate that
>> /etc/modules.conf has been renamed, which I have not, and my
>> modutils are still the same as I've been using for a few months
>> with 2.4.  I saw an announcement regarding a new modutils tool set
>> last night, do I need to install that, and does that then fubar a
>> 2.4.23-pre8 boot?
>
>You need the new module-init-tools.  If you follow the instructions
>provided with them, things will continue to work with 2.4 kernels.

Got it, turns out I already had module-init-tools-0.9.13-pre.tar.bz2
installed, but just now got module-init-tools-0.9.15-pre3.tar.gz,
unpacked it, read the INSTALL quickly, then the usual
./configure;make;make install which went w/o error.  Figured I'd
reboot to see if that worked any better, and got a message about each
mountpoint being busy as it went down, each of which hung the
shutdown for a few seconds.

Booted back to 2.4.23-pre8 things are apparently fine again.
Is this a onetime thing?

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M

* Re: 2.6.0-test9 vs sound
@ 2003-11-10 20:30           ` bill davidsen
From: bill davidsen @ 2003-11-10 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <yw1x8yn1zfb8.fsf@kth.se>,
=?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?= <mru@kth.se> wrote:
| Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> writes:
|
| > Some of the tutorials in those links would seem to indicate that
| > /etc/modules.conf has been renamed, which I have not, and my modutils
| > are still the same as I've been using for a few months with 2.4.  I
| > saw an announcement regarding a new modutils tool set last night, do
| > I need to install that, and does that then fubar a 2.4.23-pre8 boot?
|
| You need the new module-init-tools.  If you follow the instructions
| provided with them, things will continue to work with 2.4 kernels.

The only thing to watch out for is that the "probe" functionality was
removed from the new package, which requires manual loading of the
modules and testing of the status. Inconvenient if you need to do it at
boot time, otherwise write a script. That feature typically was used
only when the hardware for the initial drivers might be nonfunctional
and and alternative was needed.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc