* Re: CD-ROM ide-dma blacklist amnesty drive
@ 2005-01-03  8:42 Daniel Robitaille
From: Daniel Robitaille @ 2005-01-03  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> The following is a list of CD drives blacklisted (I've removed
> hard-disks and flash from the list) in drivers/ide/ide-dma.c as
> of 2.6.10-rc3:
>
> CRD-8480C
>
> If (1) you are a owner of one of the listed drives, and (2) you
> know your drive works fine with DMA, please speak up.
> It would especially be a big plus if your drive is on via82cxxx
> and did not have any trouble running it with DMA before 2.6.8.

I have used a CRD-8480C with DMA on 2.6.8 without any problems.

* Re: CD-ROM ide-dma blacklist amnesty drive
@ 2005-01-07  2:20 ` Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz @ 2005-01-07  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Robitaille; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 00:42:43 -0800, Daniel Robitaille
<robitaille@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The following is a list of CD drives blacklisted (I've removed
> > hard-disks and flash from the list) in drivers/ide/ide-dma.c as
> > of 2.6.10-rc3:
> >
> > CRD-8480C
> >
> > If (1) you are a owner of one of the listed drives, and (2) you
> > know your drive works fine with DMA, please speak up.
> > It would especially be a big plus if your drive is on via82cxxx
> > and did not have any trouble running it with DMA before 2.6.8.
>
> I have used a CRD-8480C with DMA on 2.6.8 without any problems.

thanks, drive removed from the blacklist

* Re: CD-ROM ide-dma blacklist amnesty drive
@ 2004-12-13 21:21   ` Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz @ 2004-12-13 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano; +Cc: linux-kernel, Alexander E. Patrakov

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:33:56 -0800, Junio C Hamano <junkio@cox.net> wrote:
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>
> >The "SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148F" drive is listed in drive_blacklist in
> >ide-dma.c. However, this drive worked well with DMA enabled with earlier
> >kernel versions (<=2.6.8.1) where the "via82cxxx" driver did not look at
> >this blacklist. So the question: what was the reason for blacklisting this
> >(apparently working) drive? Is it still valid?
>
> This was discussed about two months ago without a firm
> resolution as far as I can tell, in this thread:
>
>     http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/241862
>
> Especially from Jens and Alan:
>
>     http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/242226
>     http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/242228
>
> I've been meaning to start a "CD-ROM ide-dma blacklist amnesty
> drive" ;-) The intent is to gather comments from owners of
> blacklisted drives to see if those models still deserve to be on
> the blacklist.
>
> As for myself, I would vote for removing "PLEXTOR CD-R
> PX-W8432T" (at least firmware "1.09") from the list.  This model
> seems to work fine with DMA.  As Alexander does, I have been
> running it on VIA motherboard which only recently started
> looking at the ide-dma blacklist without trouble; that is,
> before via82cxxx started caring.

Plextor drive removed from the blacklist, thanks

* Re: CD-ROM ide-dma blacklist amnesty drive
@ 2004-12-09 20:29   ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2004-12-09 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano; +Cc: linux-kernel, Alexander E. Patrakov

    Hi Junio :)

 * Junio C Hamano <junkio@cox.net> dixit:
>     PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W8432T
[...]
> If (1) you are a owner of one of the listed drives, and (2) you
> know your drive works fine with DMA, please speak up.
> It would especially be a big plus if your drive is on via82cxxx
> and did not have any trouble running it with DMA before 2.6.8.

    Well, I happen to had such Plextor drive under a VIA 686B and it
worked good with DMA. At least, DMA was enabled and the drive never
issued a 'DMA disabled' error. This was under 2.4.10. I no longer
have that drive so I cannot make tests under a newer test. The drive
was used with success using both SCSI hostadapter emulation and IDE
driver. I think I have the logs of that time if you are interested.

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736
http://www.dervishd.net & http://www.pleyades.net/

* CD-ROM ide-dma blacklist amnesty drive
@ 2004-12-09  0:33 ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2004-12-09  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, Alexander E. Patrakov

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

>The "SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148F" drive is listed in drive_blacklist in
>ide-dma.c. However, this drive worked well with DMA enabled with earlier
>kernel versions (<=2.6.8.1) where the "via82cxxx" driver did not look at
>this blacklist. So the question: what was the reason for blacklisting this
>(apparently working) drive? Is it still valid?

This was discussed about two months ago without a firm
resolution as far as I can tell, in this thread:

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/241862

Especially from Jens and Alan:

    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/242226
    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/242228

I've been meaning to start a "CD-ROM ide-dma blacklist amnesty
drive" ;-) The intent is to gather comments from owners of
blacklisted drives to see if those models still deserve to be on
the blacklist.

As for myself, I would vote for removing "PLEXTOR CD-R
PX-W8432T" (at least firmware "1.09") from the list.  This model
seems to work fine with DMA.  As Alexander does, I have been
running it on VIA motherboard which only recently started
looking at the ide-dma blacklist without trouble; that is,
before via82cxxx started caring.

The following is a list of CD drives blacklisted (I've removed
hard-disks and flash from the list) in drivers/ide/ide-dma.c as
of 2.6.10-rc3:

    Compaq CRD-8241B
    CRD-8400B
    CRD-8480B
    CRD-8480C
    CRD-8482B
    CRD-84
    SANYO CD-ROM CRD
    HITACHI CDR-8
    HITACHI CDR-8335
    HITACHI CDR-8435
    Toshiba CD-ROM XM-6202B
    CD-532E-A
    E-IDE CD-ROM CR-840
    CD-ROM Drive/F5A
    WPI CDD-820
    SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148C
    SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148F
    SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC
    SAMSUNG CD-ROM SN-124
    PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W8432T
    ATAPI CD-ROM DRIVE 40X MAXIMUM
    _NEC DV5800A

If (1) you are a owner of one of the listed drives, and (2) you
know your drive works fine with DMA, please speak up.
It would especially be a big plus if your drive is on via82cxxx
and did not have any trouble running it with DMA before 2.6.8.

Thanks.