* Why is "SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148F" blacklisted?
@ 2004-12-08 15:58 Alexander E. Patrakov
From: Alexander E. Patrakov @ 2004-12-08 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

The "SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148F" drive is listed in drive_blacklist in
ide-dma.c. However, this drive worked well with DMA enabled with earlier
kernel versions (<=2.6.8.1) where the "via82cxxx" driver did not look at
this blacklist. So the question: what was the reason for blacklisting this
(apparently working) drive? Is it still valid?

Details on my CD-ROM drive are pasted below.

patrakov@debian:~$ cdrecord -inq dev=/dev/hdb
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a34 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 JЖrg
Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to
<cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
version.

scsidev: '/dev/hdb'
devname: '/dev/hdb'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'SAMSUNG '
Identifikation : 'CD-ROM SC-148F  '
Revision       : 'PS05'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-ROM.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov

* CD-ROM ide-dma blacklist amnesty drive
@ 2004-12-09  0:33 ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2004-12-09  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, Alexander E. Patrakov

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

>The "SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148F" drive is listed in drive_blacklist in
>ide-dma.c. However, this drive worked well with DMA enabled with earlier
>kernel versions (<=2.6.8.1) where the "via82cxxx" driver did not look at
>this blacklist. So the question: what was the reason for blacklisting this
>(apparently working) drive? Is it still valid?

This was discussed about two months ago without a firm
resolution as far as I can tell, in this thread:

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/241862

Especially from Jens and Alan:

    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/242226
    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/242228

I've been meaning to start a "CD-ROM ide-dma blacklist amnesty
drive" ;-) The intent is to gather comments from owners of
blacklisted drives to see if those models still deserve to be on
the blacklist.

As for myself, I would vote for removing "PLEXTOR CD-R
PX-W8432T" (at least firmware "1.09") from the list.  This model
seems to work fine with DMA.  As Alexander does, I have been
running it on VIA motherboard which only recently started
looking at the ide-dma blacklist without trouble; that is,
before via82cxxx started caring.

The following is a list of CD drives blacklisted (I've removed
hard-disks and flash from the list) in drivers/ide/ide-dma.c as
of 2.6.10-rc3:

    Compaq CRD-8241B
    CRD-8400B
    CRD-8480B
    CRD-8480C
    CRD-8482B
    CRD-84
    SANYO CD-ROM CRD
    HITACHI CDR-8
    HITACHI CDR-8335
    HITACHI CDR-8435
    Toshiba CD-ROM XM-6202B
    CD-532E-A
    E-IDE CD-ROM CR-840
    CD-ROM Drive/F5A
    WPI CDD-820
    SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148C
    SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148F
    SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC
    SAMSUNG CD-ROM SN-124
    PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W8432T
    ATAPI CD-ROM DRIVE 40X MAXIMUM
    _NEC DV5800A

If (1) you are a owner of one of the listed drives, and (2) you
know your drive works fine with DMA, please speak up.
It would especially be a big plus if your drive is on via82cxxx
and did not have any trouble running it with DMA before 2.6.8.

Thanks.

* Re: CD-ROM ide-dma blacklist amnesty drive
@ 2004-12-09 20:29   ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2004-12-09 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano; +Cc: linux-kernel, Alexander E. Patrakov

    Hi Junio :)

 * Junio C Hamano <junkio@cox.net> dixit:
>     PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W8432T
[...]
> If (1) you are a owner of one of the listed drives, and (2) you
> know your drive works fine with DMA, please speak up.
> It would especially be a big plus if your drive is on via82cxxx
> and did not have any trouble running it with DMA before 2.6.8.

    Well, I happen to had such Plextor drive under a VIA 686B and it
worked good with DMA. At least, DMA was enabled and the drive never
issued a 'DMA disabled' error. This was under 2.4.10. I no longer
have that drive so I cannot make tests under a newer test. The drive
was used with success using both SCSI hostadapter emulation and IDE
driver. I think I have the logs of that time if you are interested.

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736
http://www.dervishd.net & http://www.pleyades.net/

* Re: Why is "SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148F" blacklisted?
@ 2004-12-13 21:19 ` Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz @ 2004-12-13 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander E. Patrakov; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:58:36 +0500, Alexander E. Patrakov
<patrakov@ums.usu.ru> wrote:
> The "SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148F" drive is listed in drive_blacklist in
> ide-dma.c. However, this drive worked well with DMA enabled with earlier
> kernel versions (<=2.6.8.1) where the "via82cxxx" driver did not look at
> this blacklist. So the question: what was the reason for blacklisting this
> (apparently working) drive? Is it still valid?
>
> Details on my CD-ROM drive are pasted below.

drive is removed from the blacklist, thanks for the report

* Re: CD-ROM ide-dma blacklist amnesty drive
@ 2004-12-13 21:21   ` Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz @ 2004-12-13 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano; +Cc: linux-kernel, Alexander E. Patrakov

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:33:56 -0800, Junio C Hamano <junkio@cox.net> wrote:
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>
> >The "SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148F" drive is listed in drive_blacklist in
> >ide-dma.c. However, this drive worked well with DMA enabled with earlier
> >kernel versions (<=2.6.8.1) where the "via82cxxx" driver did not look at
> >this blacklist. So the question: what was the reason for blacklisting this
> >(apparently working) drive? Is it still valid?
>
> This was discussed about two months ago without a firm
> resolution as far as I can tell, in this thread:
>
>     http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/241862
>
> Especially from Jens and Alan:
>
>     http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/242226
>     http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/242228
>
> I've been meaning to start a "CD-ROM ide-dma blacklist amnesty
> drive" ;-) The intent is to gather comments from owners of
> blacklisted drives to see if those models still deserve to be on
> the blacklist.
>
> As for myself, I would vote for removing "PLEXTOR CD-R
> PX-W8432T" (at least firmware "1.09") from the list.  This model
> seems to work fine with DMA.  As Alexander does, I have been
> running it on VIA motherboard which only recently started
> looking at the ide-dma blacklist without trouble; that is,
> before via82cxxx started caring.

Plextor drive removed from the blacklist, thanks

* Re: CD-ROM ide-dma blacklist amnesty drive
@ 2005-01-07  2:20 ` Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz @ 2005-01-07  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Robitaille; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 00:42:43 -0800, Daniel Robitaille
<robitaille@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The following is a list of CD drives blacklisted (I've removed
> > hard-disks and flash from the list) in drivers/ide/ide-dma.c as
> > of 2.6.10-rc3:
> >
> > CRD-8480C
> >
> > If (1) you are a owner of one of the listed drives, and (2) you
> > know your drive works fine with DMA, please speak up.
> > It would especially be a big plus if your drive is on via82cxxx
> > and did not have any trouble running it with DMA before 2.6.8.
>
> I have used a CRD-8480C with DMA on 2.6.8 without any problems.

thanks, drive removed from the blacklist

* Re: CD-ROM ide-dma blacklist amnesty drive
@ 2005-01-03  8:42 Daniel Robitaille
From: Daniel Robitaille @ 2005-01-03  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel