llvm.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the amdgpu tree
       [not found] <20230522171557.32027acf@canb.auug.org.au>
@ 2023-05-22 16:29 ` Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2023-05-22 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher
  Cc: Alex Deucher, Alex Deucher, Felix Kuehling,
	Harish Kasiviswanathan, Rajneesh Bhardwaj,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Linux Next Mailing List,
	Stephen Rothwell, llvm, Linus Torvalds

On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 05:15:57PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After merging the amdgpu tree, today's linux-next build (arm allmodconfig
> clang-17) failed like this:
>
> drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu_gart.c:146:54: error: format specifies type 'unsigned long long' but the argument has type 'dma_addr_t' (aka 'unsigned int') [-Werror,-Wformat]
>
> Caused by commit
>
>   d020a29b6b58 ("drm/amdgpu: Allocate GART table in RAM for AMD APU")
>
> Reported by the kernelci.org bot.

Alex,
This is the third report of linux-next being broken for clang due to the
AMDGPU tree.
1. https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20230522171557.32027acf@canb.auug.org.au/
2. https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20230522171145.38a8bd4d@canb.auug.org.au/
3. https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20230522170031.5fb87a64@canb.auug.org.au/

Our CI is red as a result.
https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/continuous-integration2/actions/runs/5045716034/jobs/9053211936

When will AMD start testing their kernels with Clang?

> --
> Cheers,
> Stephen Rothwell

Thanks for reporting these, Stephen.

* Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the amdgpu tree
@ 2023-05-22 16:35   ` Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2023-05-22 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Desaulniers
  Cc: Alex Deucher, Felix Kuehling, Harish Kasiviswanathan,
	Rajneesh Bhardwaj, Linux Kernel Mailing List,
	Linux Next Mailing List, Stephen Rothwell, llvm, Linus Torvalds

On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 12:29 PM Nick Desaulniers
<ndesaulniers@google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 05:15:57PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > After merging the amdgpu tree, today's linux-next build (arm allmodconfig
> > clang-17) failed like this:
> >
> > drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu_gart.c:146:54: error: format specifies type 'unsigned long long' but the argument has type 'dma_addr_t' (aka 'unsigned int') [-Werror,-Wformat]
> >
> > Caused by commit
> >
> >   d020a29b6b58 ("drm/amdgpu: Allocate GART table in RAM for AMD APU")
> >
> > Reported by the kernelci.org bot.
>
> Alex,
> This is the third report of linux-next being broken for clang due to the
> AMDGPU tree.
> 1. https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20230522171557.32027acf@canb.auug.org.au/
> 2. https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20230522171145.38a8bd4d@canb.auug.org.au/
> 3. https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20230522170031.5fb87a64@canb.auug.org.au/
>
> Our CI is red as a result.
> https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/continuous-integration2/actions/runs/5045716034/jobs/9053211936
>
> When will AMD start testing their kernels with Clang?

We have clang as part of our CI system and have had it for a while.
I'm not sure why it didn't catch these.  Our CI clang builds are
currently passing.

Alex

@ 2023-05-22 16:47     ` Nick Desaulniers
From: Nick Desaulniers @ 2023-05-22 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher
  Cc: Alex Deucher, Felix Kuehling, Harish Kasiviswanathan,

On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 9:36 AM Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 12:29 PM Nick Desaulniers
> <ndesaulniers@google.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 05:15:57PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > After merging the amdgpu tree, today's linux-next build (arm allmodconfig
> > > clang-17) failed like this:
> > >
> > > drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu_gart.c:146:54: error: format specifies type 'unsigned long long' but the argument has type 'dma_addr_t' (aka 'unsigned int') [-Werror,-Wformat]
> > >
> > > Caused by commit
> > >
> > >   d020a29b6b58 ("drm/amdgpu: Allocate GART table in RAM for AMD APU")
> > >
> > > Reported by the kernelci.org bot.
> >
> > Alex,
> > This is the third report of linux-next being broken for clang due to the
> > AMDGPU tree.
> > 1. https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20230522171557.32027acf@canb.auug.org.au/
> > 2. https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20230522171145.38a8bd4d@canb.auug.org.au/
> > 3. https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20230522170031.5fb87a64@canb.auug.org.au/
> >
> > Our CI is red as a result.
> > https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/continuous-integration2/actions/runs/5045716034/jobs/9053211936
> >
> > When will AMD start testing their kernels with Clang?
>
> We have clang as part of our CI system and have had it for a while.
> I'm not sure why it didn't catch these.  Our CI clang builds are
> currently passing.

Can you verify that the driver configs are enabled for those builds?

Looking through my CI reports, it looks like allmodconfig/allyesconfig
is red from this tree for ARCH=x86_64 and ARCH=arm64.
Examples:
x86_64: https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/continuous-integration2/actions/runs/5045594636/jobs/9052932014
arm64: https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/continuous-integration2/actions/runs/5045594636/jobs/9052930995

> Alex
>

> > > --
> > > Cheers,
> > > Stephen Rothwell
> >
> > Thanks for reporting these, Stephen.

~Nick Desaulniers

* Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the amdgpu tree
@ 2023-05-22 19:14       ` Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2023-05-22 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Desaulniers
  Cc: Alex Deucher, Felix Kuehling, Harish Kasiviswanathan,
	Rajneesh Bhardwaj, Linux Kernel Mailing List,
	Linux Next Mailing List, Stephen Rothwell, llvm, Linus Torvalds

On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 12:47 PM Nick Desaulniers
<ndesaulniers@google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 9:36 AM Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 12:29 PM Nick Desaulniers
> > <ndesaulniers@google.com> wrote:

> > > Alex,
> > > This is the third report of linux-next being broken for clang due to the
> > > AMDGPU tree.
> > > 1. https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20230522171557.32027acf@canb.auug.org.au/
> > > 2. https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20230522171145.38a8bd4d@canb.auug.org.au/
> > > 3. https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20230522170031.5fb87a64@canb.auug.org.au/
> > >
> > > Our CI is red as a result.
> > > https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/continuous-integration2/actions/runs/5045716034/jobs/9053211936
> > >
> > > When will AMD start testing their kernels with Clang?
> >
> > We have clang as part of our CI system and have had it for a while.
> > I'm not sure why it didn't catch these.  Our CI clang builds are
> > currently passing.
>
> Can you verify that the driver configs are enabled for those builds?

They are definitely enabled.  It's the whole point of the builds.

> Looking through my CI reports, it looks like allmodconfig/allyesconfig
> is red from this tree for ARCH=x86_64 and ARCH=arm64.
> Examples:
> x86_64: https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/continuous-integration2/actions/runs/5045594636/jobs/9052932014
> arm64: https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/continuous-integration2/actions/runs/5045594636/jobs/9052930995

I looked into this quickly and I think in this particular case, it's
the result of a manual merge last week where the fixes from the
fallout didn't end up getting mirrored to my drm-next tree, and I
don't think CONFIG_WERROR is set in the config.  IIRC, we had a lot of
problems with that config option and older compilers when it was added
and I think we ultimately turned it off at the time.  We should
revisit that.  I'll talk to the CI team tomorrow.

Alex