netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Jakub Kicinski <kuba@kernel.org>
To: Parav Pandit <parav@mellanox.com>,
Cc: Jiri Pirko <jiri@resnulli.us>,
	Mark Zhang <markz@mellanox.com>,
	"jacob.e.keller@intel.com" <jacob.e.keller@intel.com>,
	Alex Vesker <valex@mellanox.com>,
	"linyunsheng@huawei.com" <linyunsheng@huawei.com>,
	"lihong.yang@intel.com" <lihong.yang@intel.com>,
	"vikas.gupta@broadcom.com" <vikas.gupta@broadcom.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] current devlink extension plan for NICs
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 19:07:01 -0700	[thread overview]

On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 18:13:50 +0000 Parav Pandit wrote:
> > From: netdev-owner@vger.kernel.org <netdev-owner@vger.kernel.org> On
> > Behalf Of Jakub Kicinski

> > 'portion of the device'.

> > > Devlink port which is on eswitch side is registered with switch_id and also
> > linked to the rep netdev.
> > > From this port phys_port_name is derived.
> > > This eswitch port shouldn't represent 'portion of the device'.
> >
> > switch_id is per port, so it's perfectly fine for a devlink port not to have one, or
> > for two ports of the same device to have a different ID.
> >
> > The phys_port_name argument I don't follow. How does that matter in the
> > "should we create another object" debate?
> >
> Its very clear in net/core/devlink.c code that a devlink port with a
> switch_id belongs to switch side and linked to eswitch representor
> netdev.
>
> It just cannot/should not be overloaded to drive host side attributes.
>
> > IMO introducing the slice if it's 1:1 with ports is a no-go.
> I disagree.
> With that argument devlink port for eswitch should not have existed and netdev should have been self-describing.
> But it is not done that way for 3 reasons I described already in this thread.
> Please get rid of devlink eswitch port and put all of it in representor netdev, after that 1:1 no-go point make sense. :-)
>
> Also we already discussed that its not 1:1. A slice might not have devlink port.
> We don't want to start with lowest denominator and narrow use case.
>
> I also described you that slice runs through state machine which devlink port doesn't.
> We don't want to overload devlink port object.
>
> > I also don't like how
> > creating a slice implicitly creates a devlink port in your design. If those objects
> > are so strongly linked that creating one implies the other they should just be
> > merged.
> I disagree.
> When netdev representor is created, its multiple health reporters (strongly linked) are created implicitly.
> We didn't merge and user didn't explicitly created them for right reasons.
>
> A slice as described represents 'portion of a device'. As described in RFC, it's the master object for which other associated sub-objects gets created.
> Like an optional devlink port, representor, health reporters, resources.
> Again, it is not 1:1.
>
> As Jiri described and you acked that devlink slice need not have to have a devlink port.
>
> There are enough examples in devlink subsystem today where 1:1 and non 1:1 objects can be related.
> Shared buffers, devlink ports, health reporters, representors have such mapping with each other.

I'm not going to respond to any of that. We're going in circles.

I bet you remember the history of PCI ports, and my initial patch set.

We even had a call about this. Clearly all of it was a waste of time.

> > I'm also concerned that the slice is basically a non-networking port.
> What is the concern?

What I wrote below, but you decided to split off in your reply for
whatever reason.

> How is shared-buffer, health reporter is attributed as networking object?

By non-networking I mean non-ethernet, or host facing. Which should be
clear from what I wrote below.

> > I bet some of the things we add there will one day be useful for networking or
> > DSA ports.
> >
> I think this is mis-interpretation of a devlink slice object.
> All things we intent to do in devlink slice is useful for networking and non-networking use.
> So saying 'devlink slice is non networking port, hence it cannot be used for networking' -> is a wrong interpretation.
>
> I do not understand DSA port much, but what blocks users to use slice if it fits the need in future.
>
> How is shared buffer, health reporter are 'networking' object which exists under devlink, but not strictly under devlink port?

E.g. you ad rate limiting on the slice. That's something that may be
useful for other ingress points of the device. But it's added to the
slice, not the port. So we can't reuse the API for network ports.