netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: [RFC] Packet pacing (offload) for flow-aggregates and forwarding use-cases
       [not found] <d3d764d5-8eb6-59f9-cd3b-815de0258dbc@mellanox.com>
@ 2020-03-24 19:26 ` Eric Dumazet
From: Eric Dumazet @ 2020-03-24 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yossi Kuperman, netdev, Jamal Hadi Salim, Jiri Pirko; +Cc: Rony Efraim

On 3/24/20 12:05 PM, Yossi Kuperman wrote:
> Hello,
>

> We would like to support a forwarding use-case in which flows are classified and paced
>
> according to the selected class. For example, a packet arrives at the ingress hook of interface
>
> eth0,  performing a sequence of filters and being redirected to interface eth1. Pacing takes
>
> place at the egress qdisc of eth1.
>

> FQ queuing discipline is classless and cannot provide such functionality. Each flow is
>
> paced independently, and different pacing is only configurable via a socket-option—less
>
> suitable for forwarding  use-case.
>

> It is worth noting that although this functionality might be implemented by stacking multiple
>
> queuing disciplines, it will be very difficult to offload to hardware.
>

> We propose introducing yet another classful qdisc, where the user can specify in advance the
>
> desired classes (i.e. pacing) and provide filters to classify flows accordingly. Similar to other
>
> qdiscs, if skb->priority is already set, we can skip the classification; useful for forwarding
>
> use-case, as the user can set the priority field in ingress. Works nicely with OVS/TC.
>

> Any thoughts please?

Why not using HTB for this typical use case ?

* Re: [RFC] Packet pacing (offload) for flow-aggregates and forwarding use-cases
@ 2020-03-26 14:42   ` Yossi Kuperman
From: Yossi Kuperman @ 2020-03-26 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Dumazet, netdev, Jamal Hadi Salim, Jiri Pirko; +Cc: Rony Efraim

On 24/03/2020 21:26, Eric Dumazet wrote:

> On 3/24/20 12:05 PM, Yossi Kuperman wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> We would like to support a forwarding use-case in which flows are classified and paced
>>
>> according to the selected class. For example, a packet arrives at the ingress hook of interface
>>
>> eth0,  performing a sequence of filters and being redirected to interface eth1. Pacing takes
>>
>> place at the egress qdisc of eth1.
>>

>> FQ queuing discipline is classless and cannot provide such functionality. Each flow is
>>
>> paced independently, and different pacing is only configurable via a socket-option—less
>>
>> suitable for forwarding  use-case.
>>

>> It is worth noting that although this functionality might be implemented by stacking multiple
>>
>> queuing disciplines, it will be very difficult to offload to hardware.
>>

>> We propose introducing yet another classful qdisc, where the user can specify in advance the
>>
>> desired classes (i.e. pacing) and provide filters to classify flows accordingly. Similar to other
>>
>> qdiscs, if skb->priority is already set, we can skip the classification; useful for forwarding
>>
>> use-case, as the user can set the priority field in ingress. Works nicely with OVS/TC.
>>

>> Any thoughts please?
>>
> Why not using HTB for this typical use case ?

As far as I understand HTB is meant for rate-limiting, is the implementation fine-grained enough to support pacing

as well?

* Re: [RFC] Packet pacing (offload) for flow-aggregates and forwarding use-cases
@ 2020-04-06 20:26     ` Yossi Kuperman
From: Yossi Kuperman @ 2020-04-06 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Dumazet, netdev, Jamal Hadi Salim, Jiri Pirko; +Cc: Rony Efraim

On 26/03/2020 16:42, Yossi Kuperman wrote:
> On 24/03/2020 21:26, Eric Dumazet wrote:
>> On 3/24/20 12:05 PM, Yossi Kuperman wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> We would like to support a forwarding use-case in which flows are classified and paced
>>>
>>> according to the selected class. For example, a packet arrives at the ingress hook of interface
>>>
>>> eth0,  performing a sequence of filters and being redirected to interface eth1. Pacing takes
>>>
>>> place at the egress qdisc of eth1.
>>>

>>> FQ queuing discipline is classless and cannot provide such functionality. Each flow is
>>>
>>> paced independently, and different pacing is only configurable via a socket-option—less
>>>
>>> suitable for forwarding  use-case.
>>>

>>> It is worth noting that although this functionality might be implemented by stacking multiple
>>>
>>> queuing disciplines, it will be very difficult to offload to hardware.
>>>

>>> We propose introducing yet another classful qdisc, where the user can specify in advance the
>>>
>>> desired classes (i.e. pacing) and provide filters to classify flows accordingly. Similar to other
>>>
>>> qdiscs, if skb->priority is already set, we can skip the classification; useful for forwarding
>>>
>>> use-case, as the user can set the priority field in ingress. Works nicely with OVS/TC.
>>>

>>> Any thoughts please?
>>>
>> Why not using HTB for this typical use case ?
>
> As far as I understand HTB is meant for rate-limiting, is the implementation fine-grained enough to support pacing
>
> as well?

Hi Eric, I'm not sure if HTB also performs pacing (similarly to FQ), can you please comment on that?