netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Flow label persistence
@ 2020-11-19 15:49 Tom Herbert
From: Tom Herbert @ 2020-11-19 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel Network Developers

HI,

A potential issue came up on v6ops list in IETF that Linux stack
changes the flow label for a connection at every RTO, this is the
feature where we change the txhash on a failing connection to try to
find a route (the flow label is derived from the txhash). The problem
with changing the flow label for a connection is that it may cause
problems when stateful middleboxes are in the path, for instance if a
flow label change causes packets for a connection to take a different
route they might be forwarded to a different stateful firewall that
didn't see the 3WHS so don't have any flow state and hence drop the
packets.

I was under the assumption that we had a sysctl that would enable
changing the txhash for a connection and the default was off so that
flow labels would be persistent for the life of the connection.
Looking at the code now, I don't see that safety net, it looks like
the defauly behavior allows changing the hash. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Tom