openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* How to integrate new libraray in openbmc
@ 2020-11-05 10:47 khader basha shaik
From: khader basha shaik @ 2020-11-05 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Hi Team,

I have a custom library and need to integrate it with openbmc.The library
provides various output related to system information.
I need this information to show up in phosphor-webUI.

In my understanding we need to register it with dbus interface.
So I need to integrate my custom library with dbus.

But I do not have much information about where to start?

Any help or information on this would be really helpful.

Thanks & Regards,

Khader B Shaik

* Re: How to integrate new libraray in openbmc
@ 2020-11-05 16:45 ` Ed Tanous
From: Ed Tanous @ 2020-11-05 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: khader basha shaik; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 2:49 AM khader basha shaik <
shaikkhaderbasha601@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> I have a custom library and need to integrate it with openbmc.The library
> provides various output related to system information.
> I need this information to show up in phosphor-webUI.

In my understanding we need to register it with dbus interface.
> So I need to integrate my custom library with dbus.
>
> But I do not have much information about where to start?
>

> Any help or information on this would be really helpful.

If you point us to the code for the library you're wanting to integrate, as
well as what you're hoping to see as a result we can probably give you
better advice.  As is, your request is quite vague, and I'm personally
finding it very hard to answer with non-generic advice.  The openbmc
documentation is a pretty good place to start in your case.  Once you have
some handle on it, put the code up somewhere that we can see it, and we'll
be able to give you more specific advice on where to go from there.

-Ed

* Re: How to integrate new libraray in openbmc
@ 2020-11-05 23:00   ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2020-11-05 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Tanous, khader basha shaik; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On 11/5/20 10:45 AM, Ed Tanous wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 2:49 AM khader basha shaik ...
> This Message Is From an External Sender
> This message came from outside your organization.
>

> On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 2:49 AM khader basha shaik
> <shaikkhaderbasha601@gmail.com <mailto:shaikkhaderbasha601@gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi Team,
>
>     I have a custom library and need to integrate it with openbmc.The
>     library provides various output related to system information.
>     I need this information to show up in phosphor-webUI.
>
>     In my understanding we need to register it with dbus interface.
>     So I need to integrate my custom library with dbus.
>
>     But I do not have much information about where to start?
>

>     Any help or information on this would be really helpful.
>

> If you point us to the code for the library you're wanting to
> integrate, as well as what you're hoping to see as a result we can
> probably give you better advice.  As is, your request is quite vague,
> and I'm personally finding it very hard to answer with non-generic
> advice.  The openbmc documentation is a pretty good place to start in
> your case. Once you have some handle on it, put the code up somewhere
> that we can see it, and we'll be able to give you more specific advice
> on where to go from there.
>
> -Ed

Welcome!

I assume you saw the [contributing][] guide.  Have you seen the
[development tutorials][]?

Are you asking about OpenBMC's internal architecture?  The layers are:
   Web user <--> Web application <--> Web Server (BMCWeb) <--> D-Bus
interfaces <--> your new service

The way I understand your new function, some of the basic technical
steps to create your interface include:
1. Create your new service.  Create new [D-Bus interfaces][] to model
your service.  Expose all of your "library functions" as D-Bus
interfaces.  See the [hello world tutorial][] as an example of the
development process.
2. Enhance [BMCWeb][].  Create new REST APIs and map them to your new
D-Bus interfaces.
3. Enhance the web application to allow web users to use your new
functions.  Invoke your new REST APIs as needed.  Have you seen the new
[webui-vue][]?

For example, you should be trace the functions in the tutorial through
D-Bus interfaces to BMCWeb to REST APIs to the web application.

But before you do any of this: please consider the project's advice for
[planning changes][].

- Joseph

[contributing]: https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
[development tutorials]: