qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
* qemu-system-sparc64 instruction set architecture compatibility (sparc v8+ vs sparc v9)
@ 2021-04-04 12:07 CKIM
From: CKIM @ 2021-04-04 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: cheolyon38

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is right mailing list for this question but I
really appreciate if someone can answer to my question.

I have very old binary (testgen) which was built from old sparc station.
(no source code)

If I run "file testgen", I get the following.
ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC32PLUS Version 1, V8+ Required,
UltraSPARC1 Extensions Required, statically linked, not stripped

I want to run this binary from qemu as the sparc station (sun4u sparc
SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440) is very unstable.

Can QEMU (qemu-system-sparc64) support sparc32 application with v8+ ?

I tried to install a few packages listed at
https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/SPARC

I was able to install most of sun4m / sun4u guests listed in the wiki
and network setup was also ok but none of them could run the "testgen"
binary.

I always get "Cannot execute ELF binary" error message.

example with QEMU 5.2.0 version:
qemu-system-sparc64 -m 512 -drive
file=disk_image_netbsd64.raw,format=raw,index=0, \
-net nic,macaddr=52:54:00:fa:ce:10,model=e1000 \
-net tap -nographic \
-cdrom NetBSD-9.1-sparc64.iso \
-boot d

I found the cpu type is set "TI-UltraSparc-IIi" as default.

I couldn't find any option related to the instruction set architecture.
(qemu-system-sparc64 --help)

If I try the "niagara" machine example (OpenSPARCT1_Arch.1.5.tar.bz2), I
get:

# isainfo -v
64-bit sparcv9 applications
         asi_blk_init
32-bit sparc applications
         asi_blk_init v8plus div32 mul32

It shows v8plus explicitly so I guess the niagara guest should be able
to run my "testgen" binary but I couldn't find any information about the
network setup for the OpenSPARCT1_Arch.1.5.tar.bz2. So I can't copy my
project files onto the guest machine.

My Sun physical server shows:
uname -a
SunOS sinuc035 5.8 Generic_117350-62 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440

I understand the sparc v7, v8, v8+, v9 are not chip architectures but
they are Instruction Set Architectures so I think the binary could run
on sun4u or sun4v, niagara ...

Can anyone know how to run the sparc32 v8+ binary from QEMU ?
Is it something the iso file need to be changed or qemu issue?

I appreciate if any useful info or hint. Thanks!

Best Regards,
CKIM