qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
* [Qemu-devel] No archives to download from www.qemu.org/download/
@ 2019-07-18  6:25 Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé @ 2019-07-18  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: QEMU Developers, Thomas Huth, Daniel P. Berrange, Stefan Weil

When building from the GitHub generated archive
(https://github.com/qemu/qemu/archive/v4.1.0-rc0.tar.gz)
we get:

---
$ ./configure

ERROR: missing file /tmp/qemu-4.1.0-rc0/ui/keycodemapdb/README

This is not a GIT checkout but module content appears to
be missing. Do not use 'git archive' or GitHub download links
to acquire QEMU source archives. Non-GIT builds are only
supported with source archives linked from:

  https://www.qemu.org/download/

Developers working with GIT can use scripts/archive-source.sh
if they need to create valid source archives.
---

Now there are no archive to download at this url...

However from the last mail from Michael Roth, we use:

http://download.qemu-project.org/

Which contains all archives.

Should we update the url display by ./configure?
Or sync the other website?

Regards,

Phil.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] No archives to download from www.qemu.org/download/
@ 2019-07-18  7:10 ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2019-07-18  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé,
	QEMU Developers, Daniel P. Berrange, Stefan Weil

On 18/07/2019 08.25, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> When building from the GitHub generated archive
> (https://github.com/qemu/qemu/archive/v4.1.0-rc0.tar.gz)
> we get:
>
> ---
> $ ./configure
>
> ERROR: missing file /tmp/qemu-4.1.0-rc0/ui/keycodemapdb/README
>
> This is not a GIT checkout but module content appears to
> be missing. Do not use 'git archive' or GitHub download links
> to acquire QEMU source archives. Non-GIT builds are only
> supported with source archives linked from:
>
>   https://www.qemu.org/download/
>
> Developers working with GIT can use scripts/archive-source.sh
> if they need to create valid source archives.
> ---
>
> Now there are no archive to download at this url...

You just have to click on the "Source code" tab ... is that too hard?

 Thomas

* Re: [Qemu-devel] No archives to download from www.qemu.org/download/
@ 2019-07-18  8:58   ` Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
       [not found]     ` <CAL1e-=iLLQfAdfFrKpAT9k48X0sEMevBXFWAmny7PRPwtBMiEQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé @ 2019-07-18  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth, QEMU Developers, Daniel P. Berrange, Stefan Weil

On 7/18/19 9:10 AM, Thomas Huth wrote:
> On 18/07/2019 08.25, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
>> When building from the GitHub generated archive
>> (https://github.com/qemu/qemu/archive/v4.1.0-rc0.tar.gz)
>> we get:
>>
>> ---
>> $ ./configure
>>
>> ERROR: missing file /tmp/qemu-4.1.0-rc0/ui/keycodemapdb/README
>>
>> This is not a GIT checkout but module content appears to
>> be missing. Do not use 'git archive' or GitHub download links
>> to acquire QEMU source archives. Non-GIT builds are only
>> supported with source archives linked from:
>>
>>   https://www.qemu.org/download/
>>
>> Developers working with GIT can use scripts/archive-source.sh
>> if they need to create valid source archives.
>> ---
>>
>> Now there are no archive to download at this url...
>
> You just have to click on the "Source code" tab ... is that too hard?

Argh it has been a rough night, now I feel ashamed. I scrolled but
missed that tab. Really sorry for crying wolf here :/

@ 2019-07-18 11:29       ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2019-07-18 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleksandar Markovic, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
  Cc: Stefan Weil, Daniel P. Berrange, QEMU Developers

On 18/07/2019 12.55, Aleksandar Markovic wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 10:58 AM Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <philmd@redhat.com>
> wrote:

>>> You just have to click on the "Source code" tab ... is that too hard?
>>
>> Argh it has been a rough night, now I feel ashamed. I scrolled but
>> missed that tab. Really sorry for crying wolf here :/
>>

> Download QEMU page <https://www.qemu.org/download/>
>
> In all fairness to Philippe, this page could be better in terms of
> human-computer interaction... If one presses 'Download', one
> expects to get to the download links directly or obviously easily.

I guess we should simply re-arrange the order of the tabs ... the
OS-agnostic source code tab should come first (since this is about what
we provide for download on our site), and then the others with
references to the distros etc.

Does someone care to send a patch?

 Thomas

* Re: [Qemu-devel] No archives to download from www.qemu.org/download/
@ 2019-07-18 11:43         ` Daniel P. Berrangé
From: Daniel P. Berrangé @ 2019-07-18 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth
  Cc: Stefan Weil, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé,
	QEMU Developers, Aleksandar Markovic

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 01:29:02PM +0200, Thomas Huth wrote:
> On 18/07/2019 12.55, Aleksandar Markovic wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 10:58 AM Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <philmd@redhat.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Argh it has been a rough night, now I feel ashamed. I scrolled but
> >> missed that tab. Really sorry for crying wolf here :/
> >>

> > Download QEMU page <https://www.qemu.org/download/>
> >
> > In all fairness to Philippe, this page could be better in terms of
> > human-computer interaction... If one presses 'Download', one
> > expects to get to the download links directly or obviously easily.
>
> I guess we should simply re-arrange the order of the tabs ... the
> OS-agnostic source code tab should come first (since this is about what
> we provide for download on our site), and then the others with
> references to the distros etc.

I'm not sure it is clear cut. I think its reasonable to say that users
coming to QEMU are best served by using distro provided packages. Only
those wishing to actually hack on QEMU, or who need newer than the
distro provides, should prefer the source. Building from source has many
more potential hurdles / failure points than installing distro packages,
which can leave users with a worse first experience of QEMU.

Regards,
Daniel

* Re: [Qemu-devel] No archives to download from www.qemu.org/download/
@ 2019-07-18 11:49         ` Stefan Weil
From: Stefan Weil @ 2019-07-18 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth, Aleksandar Markovic, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
  Cc: Daniel P. Berrange, QEMU Developers

Am 18.07.2019 um 13:29 schrieb Thomas Huth:
> I guess we should simply re-arrange the order of the tabs ... the
> OS-agnostic source code tab should come first (since this is about what
> we provide for download on our site), and then the others with
> references to the distros etc.
>
> Does someone care to send a patch?

Wouldn't changing the link to https://www.qemu.org/download/#source be
even simpler?

Stefan

* Re: [Qemu-devel] No archives to download from www.qemu.org/download/
@ 2019-07-18 11:53           ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2019-07-18 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel P. Berrangé
  Cc: Stefan Weil, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé,

On 18/07/2019 13.43, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 01:29:02PM +0200, Thomas Huth wrote:
>> On 18/07/2019 12.55, Aleksandar Markovic wrote:

>>> Download QEMU page <https://www.qemu.org/download/>
>>>
>>> In all fairness to Philippe, this page could be better in terms of
>>> human-computer interaction... If one presses 'Download', one
>>> expects to get to the download links directly or obviously easily.
>>
>> I guess we should simply re-arrange the order of the tabs ... the
>> OS-agnostic source code tab should come first (since this is about what
>> we provide for download on our site), and then the others with
>> references to the distros etc.
>
> I'm not sure it is clear cut. I think its reasonable to say that users
> coming to QEMU are best served by using distro provided packages. Only
> those wishing to actually hack on QEMU, or who need newer than the
> distro provides, should prefer the source. Building from source has many
> more potential hurdles / failure points than installing distro packages,
> which can leave users with a worse first experience of QEMU.

Well, yes, but actually I think these users won't visit the QEMU
download page in the first place. They simply do "dnf search qemu" and
then "dnf install ..." (with s/dnf/$package_tool_of_their_distro/) and
are done with it. At least this is what I do when I want to install an
additional software (without compiling it on my own) - I hardly visit
their website first.

 Thomas

* Re: [Qemu-devel] No archives to download from www.qemu.org/download/
@ 2019-07-18 12:20           ` Aleksandar Markovic
From: Aleksandar Markovic @ 2019-07-18 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel P. Berrangé
  Cc: Stefan Weil, Thomas Huth, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé, QEMU Developers

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 1:43 PM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 01:29:02PM +0200, Thomas Huth wrote:
> > On 18/07/2019 12.55, Aleksandar Markovic wrote:
> > > On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 10:58 AM Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <
> philmd@redhat.com>

> > > Download QEMU page <https://www.qemu.org/download/>
> > >
> > > In all fairness to Philippe, this page could be better in terms of
> > > human-computer interaction... If one presses 'Download', one
> > > expects to get to the download links directly or obviously easily.
> >
> > I guess we should simply re-arrange the order of the tabs ... the
> > OS-agnostic source code tab should come first (since this is about what
> > we provide for download on our site), and then the others with
> > references to the distros etc.
>
> I'm not sure it is clear cut. I think its reasonable to say that users
> coming to QEMU are best served by using distro provided packages. Only
> those wishing to actually hack on QEMU, or who need newer than the
> distro provides, should prefer the source. Building from source has many
> more potential hurdles / failure points than installing distro packages,
> which can leave users with a worse first experience of QEMU.

Yes, Daniel, but here we blend two visitor activities onto a single page:
download source (and build), and install QEMU (from prebuilt binaries).
Now wonder a confusion arises.

Yours,
Aleksandar

@ 2019-07-18 13:14           ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2019-07-18 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Weil
  Cc: Daniel P. Berrange, Thomas Huth, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé,

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 at 12:50, Stefan Weil <sw@weilnetz.de> wrote:

> Am 18.07.2019 um 13:29 schrieb Thomas Huth:
> > I guess we should simply re-arrange the order of the tabs ... the
> > OS-agnostic source code tab should come first (since this is about what
> > we provide for download on our site), and then the others with
> > references to the distros etc.
> >
> > Does someone care to send a patch?
>

> Wouldn't changing the link to https://www.qemu.org/download/#source be
> even simpler?

This gets my vote -- I'll send a configure patch...

thanks
-- PMM