qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
* Peculiar reply from mail list handler???
@ 2019-10-05 11:55 Lucien Murray-Pitts
From: Lucien Murray-Pitts @ 2019-10-05 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: QEMU Developers

Hey folks,

The last message I sent came back with a weird reply from
*mailer@lists.sr.ht*, claiming the list didnt support "HTML" formatted
mail (which is the default) for gmail, and then saying it couldnt be
delivered.

Thats a confusing mail as it would imply failure in delivery.    Was I
supposed to get this mail?

Cheers,
Luc

* Re: Peculiar reply from mail list handler???
@ 2019-10-05 17:12 ` John Snow
From: John Snow @ 2019-10-05 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lucien Murray-Pitts, QEMU Developers

On 10/5/19 7:55 AM, Lucien Murray-Pitts wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> The last message I sent came back with a weird reply from
> *mailer@lists.sr.ht*, claiming the list didnt support "HTML" formatted
> mail (which is the default) for gmail, and then saying it couldnt be
> delivered.
>
> Thats a confusing mail as it would imply failure in delivery.    Was I
> supposed to get this mail?
>
> Cheers,
> Luc

I'm not clear on the particulars of mail delivery protocols or what
lists.sr.ht is, but we indeed do not like HTML mail sent to this list.

I didn't think such mails would be outright rejected, but you should
make an effort to send plaintext emails to this list. (Especially if you
are sending patches, where it is an absolute requirement.)

If you think this is a pain in the butt, you're right! Which is why
almost no regular QEMU contributor uses it.

--js

* Re: Peculiar reply from mail list handler???
@ 2019-10-05 18:09   ` Lucien Murray-Pitts
From: Lucien Murray-Pitts @ 2019-10-05 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Snow; +Cc: QEMU Developers

Hi John,

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 2:12 AM John Snow <jsnow@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 10/5/19 7:55 AM, Lucien Murray-Pitts wrote:
> > The last message I sent came back with a weird reply from
[snip]

> I'm not clear on the particulars of mail delivery protocols or what
> lists.sr.ht is, but we indeed do not like HTML mail sent to this list.

The lists.sr.ht server replied to my dev mail submission with the
following sort of message
"We received your email, but were unable to deliver it because it
contains HTML..."

I was writing a quick mail rfc on capstone, and forgot to uncheck
the HTML option in gmail.  The mail was delivered to the list
anyway even given the "undelivered" message.

Was simply highlighting some potential issue in the mail server you
use.

For patch submission I have a script, so it wont come as html.
Just when I am not on that machine I will use webmail to check/send
quick replies.

The mail submission system is a pain, but I want these fixes in
so am willing to take the bitter with the sweet.

@ 2019-10-05 19:09   ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2019-10-05 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Snow; +Cc: QEMU Developers, Lucien Murray-Pitts

On Sat, 5 Oct 2019 at 18:13, John Snow <jsnow@redhat.com> wrote:
> I'm not clear on the particulars of mail delivery protocols or what
> lists.sr.ht is, but we indeed do not like HTML mail sent to this list.

I suspect the lists.sr.ht address is just some subscriber to the
QEMU mailing list -- the list server sent your mail to all
the subscribers, including that one, which then complained
to you. But the QEMU list itself is OK with HTML email
(we prefer plain text, but we don't reject HTML).

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: Peculiar reply from mail list handler???
@ 2019-10-08 11:28     ` Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé @ 2019-10-08 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell, John Snow; +Cc: QEMU Developers, Lucien Murray-Pitts

On 10/5/19 9:09 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Oct 2019 at 18:13, John Snow <jsnow@redhat.com> wrote:
>> I'm not clear on the particulars of mail delivery protocols or what
>> lists.sr.ht is, but we indeed do not like HTML mail sent to this list.
>
> I suspect the lists.sr.ht address is just some subscriber to the
> QEMU mailing list -- the list server sent your mail to all
> the subscribers, including that one, which then complained
> to you. But the QEMU list itself is OK with HTML email
> (we prefer plain text, but we don't reject HTML).

I subscribed to sr.ht some time ago to test the service because they
provide a CI, git hosting, mailing list, so this might come from my
account. If so, I'm surprise it send email on the subscriber behalf.

Per https://man.sr.ht/lists.sr.ht/etiquette.md#plain-text:

   Rich text is not desirable for development-oriented email
   conversations, so you should disable this feature and send
   your email as "plain text". Every email client is different,
   you should research the options for your specific client.
   HTML emails are rejected by all sr.ht services.

Surprisingly there is no option to allow HTML... (plain text is a design
feature).

* Re: Peculiar reply from mail list handler???
@ 2019-10-08 12:54       ` Lucien Murray-Pitts
From: Lucien Murray-Pitts @ 2019-10-08 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé; +Cc: Peter Maydell, John Snow, QEMU Developers

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 8:29 PM Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <philmd@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 10/5/19 9:09 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> > On Sat, 5 Oct 2019 at 18:13, John Snow <jsnow@redhat.com> wrote:
> >> I'm not clear on the particulars of mail delivery protocols or what
> >> lists.sr.ht is, but we indeed do not like HTML mail sent to this list.
> >
> > I suspect the lists.sr.ht address is just some subscriber to the
> > QEMU mailing list -- the list server sent your mail to all
> > the subscribers, including that one, which then complained
> > to you. But the QEMU list itself is OK with HTML email
> > (we prefer plain text, but we don't reject HTML).
>
> I subscribed to sr.ht some time ago to test the service because they
> provide a CI, git hosting, mailing list, so this might come from my
> account. If so, I'm surprise it send email on the subscriber behalf.
>
> Per https://man.sr.ht/lists.sr.ht/etiquette.md#plain-text:
>
>    Rich text is not desirable for development-oriented email
>    conversations, so you should disable this feature and send
>    your email as "plain text". Every email client is different,
>    you should research the options for your specific client.
>    HTML emails are rejected by all sr.ht services.
>
> Surprisingly there is no option to allow HTML... (plain text is a design
> feature).

Yep, I forgot to change it and was intending to just write a quick message
without having to fire up my Linux box.  Had a "damn it" moment the
second the reply bounced back.

But was a little more concerned the list had its own issues as the
domain looked a little suspect at first glance (I hadnt seen it before,
and the style looks unusual / lazy )

Anyway, something directly mailed back.  And yes I will see where the
gmail "plain text first" options are so I dont mess it up again

Cheers,
Luc