selinux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* scripts/selinux build error in 4.14 after glibc update
@ 2019-04-22 21:00 Nathan Chancellor
From: Nathan Chancellor @ 2019-04-22 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Moore, Stephen Smalley, Eric Paris
  Cc: selinux, linux-kernel, stable, Nicolas Iooss

Hi all,

After a glibc update to 2.29, my 4.14 builds started failing like so:

$ make -j$(nproc) defconfig bzImage
HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.lex.c
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
  HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/conf
*** Default configuration is based on 'x86_64_defconfig'
#
# configuration written to .config
#
scripts/kconfig/conf  --silentoldconfig Kconfig
  SYSTBL  arch/x86/include/generated/asm/syscalls_32.h
  SYSHDR  arch/x86/include/generated/asm/unistd_32_ia32.h
  SYSHDR  arch/x86/include/generated/asm/unistd_64_x32.h
  SYSHDR  arch/x86/include/generated/uapi/asm/unistd_32.h
  SYSHDR  arch/x86/include/generated/uapi/asm/unistd_64.h
  SYSTBL  arch/x86/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h
  SYSHDR  arch/x86/include/generated/uapi/asm/unistd_x32.h
  CHK     include/config/kernel.release
  CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  UPD     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  DESCEND  objtool
  HOSTCC   /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/fixdep.o
  HOSTLD   /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/fixdep-in.o
  LINK     /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/fixdep
  CC       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/builtin-check.o
  CC       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/builtin-orc.o
  CC       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/check.o
  CC       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/orc_gen.o
  CC       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/orc_dump.o
  CC       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/elf.o
  CC       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/special.o
  GEN      /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/arch/x86/lib/inat-tables.c
  CC       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/objtool.o
  CC       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/libstring.o
  CC       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/str_error_r.o
  CC       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/exec-cmd.o
  CC       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/pager.o
  CC       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/help.o
  CC       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/parse-options.o
  CC       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/run-command.o
  CC       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/sigchain.o
  CC       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/subcmd-config.o
  CC       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/arch/x86/decode.o
  LD       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/libsubcmd-in.o
  LD       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/arch/x86/objtool-in.o
  LD       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/objtool-in.o
  AR       /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/libsubcmd.a
  LINK     /home/nathan/cbl/linux-stable/tools/objtool/objtool
  UPD     include/config/kernel.release
  HOSTCC  arch/x86/tools/relocs_32.o
  HOSTCC  arch/x86/tools/relocs_common.o
  HOSTCC  arch/x86/tools/relocs_64.o
  WRAP    arch/x86/include/generated/asm/dma-contiguous.h
  WRAP    arch/x86/include/generated/asm/mcs_spinlock.h
  WRAP    arch/x86/include/generated/asm/clkdev.h
  WRAP    arch/x86/include/generated/asm/mm-arch-hooks.h
  WRAP    arch/x86/include/generated/asm/early_ioremap.h
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  UPD     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/kallsyms
  HOSTCC  scripts/pnmtologo
  HOSTCC  scripts/conmakehash
  HOSTCC  scripts/sortextable
  CC      scripts/mod/empty.o
  CC      scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.s
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/mk_elfconfig
  HOSTCC  scripts/selinux/mdp/mdp
  HOSTCC  scripts/selinux/genheaders/genheaders
In file included from scripts/selinux/genheaders/genheaders.c:19:
./security/selinux/include/classmap.h:245:2: error: #error New address family defined, please update secclass_map.
 #error New address family defined, please update secclass_map.
  ^~~~~
make[4]: *** [scripts/Makefile.host:102: scripts/selinux/genheaders/genheaders] Error 1
make[3]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:585: scripts/selinux/genheaders] Error 2
In file included from scripts/selinux/mdp/mdp.c:49:
./security/selinux/include/classmap.h:245:2: error: #error New address family defined, please update secclass_map.
 #error New address family defined, please update secclass_map.
  ^~~~~
make[4]: *** [scripts/Makefile.host:102: scripts/selinux/mdp/mdp] Error 1
make[3]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:585: scripts/selinux/mdp] Error 2
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:585: scripts/selinux] Error 2
  HOSTLD  arch/x86/tools/relocs
  CHK     scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.h
  UPD     scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.h
  MKELF   scripts/mod/elfconfig.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/modpost.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/file2alias.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/sumversion.o
  CHK     include/generated/timeconst.h
  CC      kernel/bounds.s
  UPD     include/generated/timeconst.h
  CHK     include/generated/bounds.h
  UPD     include/generated/bounds.h
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/asm-offsets.s
  HOSTLD  scripts/mod/modpost
make[1]: *** [Makefile:572: scripts] Error 2
  CHK     include/generated/asm-offsets.h
  UPD     include/generated/asm-offsets.h
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
make: *** [Makefile:264: __build_one_by_one] Error 2

This is due to commit c017c71ce09f ("selinux: include sys/socket.h in
host programs to have PF_MAX") [1] in the kernel interacting poorly
with glibc's commit 38b0593e9a ("Add PF_XDP, AF_XDP and SOL_XDP from
Linux 4.18 to bits/socket.h.") [2]

I am not really sure how this should be fixed or who is at fault but I
didn't see it reported anywhere yet (I assume the kernel) and I feel
more comfortable on the kernel mailing list than other bug trackers so
here we are.

[1]: https://git.kernel.org/linus/c017c71ce09f4c7a5378fccbec6a3d7e96b0c5c2
[2]: https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=commit;h=38b0593e9a862c3b35392a0f5b202696b8116aa3

Thanks,
Nathan

* Re: scripts/selinux build error in 4.14 after glibc update
@ 2019-04-23  1:59 ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2019-04-23  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Chancellor
  Cc: Stephen Smalley, Eric Paris, selinux, linux-kernel, stable,
	Nicolas Iooss

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 5:00 PM Nathan Chancellor
<natechancellor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After a glibc update to 2.29, my 4.14 builds started failing like so:

>   HOSTCC  scripts/selinux/genheaders/genheaders
> In file included from scripts/selinux/genheaders/genheaders.c:19:
> ./security/selinux/include/classmap.h:245:2: error: #error New address family defined, please update secclass_map.
>  #error New address family defined, please update secclass_map.
>   ^~~~~

This is a known problem that has a fix in the selinux/next branch and
will be going up to Linus during the next merge window.  The fix is
quite small and should be relatively easy for you to backport to your
kernel build if you are interested; the patch can be found at the
archive link below:

https://lore.kernel.org/selinux/20190225005528.28371-1-paulo@paulo.ac

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com

* Re: scripts/selinux build error in 4.14 after glibc update
@ 2019-04-23  2:26   ` Nathan Chancellor
From: Nathan Chancellor @ 2019-04-23  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Moore
  Cc: Stephen Smalley, Eric Paris, selinux, linux-kernel, stable,
	Nicolas Iooss

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 09:59:47PM -0400, Paul Moore wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 5:00 PM Nathan Chancellor
> <natechancellor@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > After a glibc update to 2.29, my 4.14 builds started failing like so:

> >   HOSTCC  scripts/selinux/genheaders/genheaders
> > In file included from scripts/selinux/genheaders/genheaders.c:19:
> > ./security/selinux/include/classmap.h:245:2: error: #error New address family defined, please update secclass_map.
> >  #error New address family defined, please update secclass_map.
> >   ^~~~~
>
> This is a known problem that has a fix in the selinux/next branch and
> will be going up to Linus during the next merge window.  The fix is
> quite small and should be relatively easy for you to backport to your
> kernel build if you are interested; the patch can be found at the
> archive link below:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/selinux/20190225005528.28371-1-paulo@paulo.ac
>
> --
> paul moore
> www.paul-moore.com

Awesome, thank you! I will apply that for now and wait for it to get
backported to stable after the next merge window.

I appreciate the quick response,

@ 2019-04-23 13:29   ` Sasha Levin
From: Sasha Levin @ 2019-04-23 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Moore
  Cc: Nathan Chancellor, Stephen Smalley, Eric Paris, selinux,
	linux-kernel, stable, Nicolas Iooss

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 09:59:47PM -0400, Paul Moore wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 5:00 PM Nathan Chancellor
><natechancellor@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After a glibc update to 2.29, my 4.14 builds started failing like so:

>>   HOSTCC  scripts/selinux/genheaders/genheaders
>> In file included from scripts/selinux/genheaders/genheaders.c:19:
>> ./security/selinux/include/classmap.h:245:2: error: #error New address family defined, please update secclass_map.
>>  #error New address family defined, please update secclass_map.
>>   ^~~~~
>
>This is a known problem that has a fix in the selinux/next branch and
>will be going up to Linus during the next merge window.  The fix is
>quite small and should be relatively easy for you to backport to your
>kernel build if you are interested; the patch can be found at the
>archive link below:
>
>https://lore.kernel.org/selinux/20190225005528.28371-1-paulo@paulo.ac

Why is it waiting for the next merge window? It fixes a build bug that
people hit.

Sasha

* Re: scripts/selinux build error in 4.14 after glibc update
@ 2019-04-23 13:43     ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2019-04-23 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sasha Levin
  Cc: Nathan Chancellor, Stephen Smalley, Eric Paris, selinux,

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 9:29 AM Sasha Levin <sashal@kernel.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 09:59:47PM -0400, Paul Moore wrote:
> >On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 5:00 PM Nathan Chancellor
> ><natechancellor@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> After a glibc update to 2.29, my 4.14 builds started failing like so:

> >>   HOSTCC  scripts/selinux/genheaders/genheaders
> >> In file included from scripts/selinux/genheaders/genheaders.c:19:
> >> ./security/selinux/include/classmap.h:245:2: error: #error New address family defined, please update secclass_map.
> >>  #error New address family defined, please update secclass_map.
> >>   ^~~~~
> >
> >This is a known problem that has a fix in the selinux/next branch and
> >will be going up to Linus during the next merge window.  The fix is
> >quite small and should be relatively easy for you to backport to your
> >kernel build if you are interested; the patch can be found at the
> >archive link below:
> >
> >https://lore.kernel.org/selinux/20190225005528.28371-1-paulo@paulo.ac
>
> Why is it waiting for the next merge window? It fixes a build bug that
> people hit.

I place a reasonably high bar on patches that I send up to Linus
outside of the merge window and I didn't feel this patch met that
criteria.  Nathan is only the second person I've seen who has
encountered this problem, the first being the original patch author.
As far as I've seen, the problem is only seen by users building older
kernels on very new userspaces (e.g. glibc v2.29 was released in
February 2019, Linux v4.14 was released in 2017); this doesn't appear
to be a large group of people and I didn't want to risk breaking the
main kernel tree during the -rcX phase for such a small group.

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com

* Re: scripts/selinux build error in 4.14 after glibc update
@ 2019-04-29 12:40       ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2019-04-29 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Moore
  Cc: Sasha Levin, Nathan Chancellor, Stephen Smalley, Eric Paris,
	selinux, linux-kernel, stable, Nicolas Iooss

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 09:43:09AM -0400, Paul Moore wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 9:29 AM Sasha Levin <sashal@kernel.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 09:59:47PM -0400, Paul Moore wrote:

> > >This is a known problem that has a fix in the selinux/next branch and
> > >will be going up to Linus during the next merge window.  The fix is
> > >quite small and should be relatively easy for you to backport to your
> > >kernel build if you are interested; the patch can be found at the
> > >archive link below:
> > >
> > >https://lore.kernel.org/selinux/20190225005528.28371-1-paulo@paulo.ac
> >
> > Why is it waiting for the next merge window? It fixes a build bug that
> > people hit.
>
> I place a reasonably high bar on patches that I send up to Linus
> outside of the merge window and I didn't feel this patch met that
> criteria.  Nathan is only the second person I've seen who has
> encountered this problem, the first being the original patch author.
> As far as I've seen, the problem is only seen by users building older
> kernels on very new userspaces (e.g. glibc v2.29 was released in
> February 2019, Linux v4.14 was released in 2017); this doesn't appear
> to be a large group of people and I didn't want to risk breaking the
> main kernel tree during the -rcX phase for such a small group.

Ugh, this breaks my local builds, I would recommend getting it to Linus
sooner please.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: scripts/selinux build error in 4.14 after glibc update
@ 2019-04-29 14:02         ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2019-04-29 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH
  Cc: Sasha Levin, Nathan Chancellor, Stephen Smalley, Eric Paris,

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 8:40 AM Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 09:43:09AM -0400, Paul Moore wrote:

> > > Why is it waiting for the next merge window? It fixes a build bug that
> > > people hit.
> >
> > I place a reasonably high bar on patches that I send up to Linus
> > outside of the merge window and I didn't feel this patch met that
> > criteria.  Nathan is only the second person I've seen who has
> > encountered this problem, the first being the original patch author.
> > As far as I've seen, the problem is only seen by users building older
> > kernels on very new userspaces (e.g. glibc v2.29 was released in
> > February 2019, Linux v4.14 was released in 2017); this doesn't appear
> > to be a large group of people and I didn't want to risk breaking the
> > main kernel tree during the -rcX phase for such a small group.
>
> Ugh, this breaks my local builds, I would recommend getting it to Linus
> sooner please.

Well, we are at -rc7 right now and it looks like an -rc8 is unlikely
so the question really comes down to can/do you want to wait a week?

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com

* Re: scripts/selinux build error in 4.14 after glibc update
@ 2019-04-29 14:09           ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2019-04-29 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Moore
  Cc: Sasha Levin, Nathan Chancellor, Stephen Smalley, Eric Paris,

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 10:02:29AM -0400, Paul Moore wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 8:40 AM Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> > > I place a reasonably high bar on patches that I send up to Linus
> > > outside of the merge window and I didn't feel this patch met that
> > > criteria.  Nathan is only the second person I've seen who has
> > > encountered this problem, the first being the original patch author.
> > > As far as I've seen, the problem is only seen by users building older
> > > kernels on very new userspaces (e.g. glibc v2.29 was released in
> > > February 2019, Linux v4.14 was released in 2017); this doesn't appear
> > > to be a large group of people and I didn't want to risk breaking the
> > > main kernel tree during the -rcX phase for such a small group.
> >
> > Ugh, this breaks my local builds, I would recommend getting it to Linus
> > sooner please.
>
> Well, we are at -rc7 right now and it looks like an -rc8 is unlikely
> so the question really comes down to can/do you want to wait a week?

It's a regression in the 5.1-rc tree, that is hitting people now.  Why
do you want to have a 5.1-final that is known to be broken?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: scripts/selinux build error in 4.14 after glibc update
@ 2019-04-29 14:47             ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2019-04-29 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH
  Cc: Sasha Levin, Nathan Chancellor, Stephen Smalley, Eric Paris,

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 10:09 AM Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 10:02:29AM -0400, Paul Moore wrote:

> > > Ugh, this breaks my local builds, I would recommend getting it to Linus
> > > sooner please.
> >
> > Well, we are at -rc7 right now and it looks like an -rc8 is unlikely
> > so the question really comes down to can/do you want to wait a week?
>
> It's a regression in the 5.1-rc tree, that is hitting people now.  Why
> do you want to have a 5.1-final that is known to be broken?

I believe I answered that in my reply to Sasha.  Can you answer the
question I asked of you above?

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com

* Re: scripts/selinux build error in 4.14 after glibc update
@ 2019-04-29 14:52               ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2019-04-29 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Moore
  Cc: Sasha Levin, Nathan Chancellor, Stephen Smalley, Eric Paris,

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 10:47:00AM -0400, Paul Moore wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 10:09 AM Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> > > Well, we are at -rc7 right now and it looks like an -rc8 is unlikely
> > > so the question really comes down to can/do you want to wait a week?
> >
> > It's a regression in the 5.1-rc tree, that is hitting people now.  Why
> > do you want to have a 5.1-final that is known to be broken?
>
> I believe I answered that in my reply to Sasha.  Can you answer the
> question I asked of you above?

If you don't submit it this week, I guess I can wait as I have no other
choice.

But note, this did break my build systems, and my main development
system this weekend.  So yes, the number of people being affected might
be "small", but that "small" number includes the people responsible for
maintaining those stable kernels :(

Anyway, it's your call, just letting you know I'm really annoyed at the
moment by this...

greg k-h

* Re: scripts/selinux build error in 4.14 after glibc update
@ 2019-04-29 22:37                 ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2019-04-29 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH
  Cc: Sasha Levin, Nathan Chancellor, Stephen Smalley, Eric Paris,

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 10:52 AM Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 10:47:00AM -0400, Paul Moore wrote:

> > > It's a regression in the 5.1-rc tree, that is hitting people now.  Why
> > > do you want to have a 5.1-final that is known to be broken?
> >
> > I believe I answered that in my reply to Sasha.  Can you answer the
> > question I asked of you above?
>
> If you don't submit it this week, I guess I can wait as I have no other
> choice.
>
> But note, this did break my build systems, and my main development
> system this weekend.  So yes, the number of people being affected might
> be "small", but that "small" number includes the people responsible for
> maintaining those stable kernels :(
>
> Anyway, it's your call, just letting you know I'm really annoyed at the
> moment by this...

It's against my better judgement, but I'll send a PR up to Linus now.

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com

* Re: scripts/selinux build error in 4.14 after glibc update
@ 2019-04-30  8:49                   ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2019-04-30  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Moore
  Cc: Sasha Levin, Nathan Chancellor, Stephen Smalley, Eric Paris,

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 06:37:03PM -0400, Paul Moore wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 10:52 AM Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> > > I believe I answered that in my reply to Sasha.  Can you answer the
> > > question I asked of you above?
> >
> > If you don't submit it this week, I guess I can wait as I have no other
> > choice.
> >
> > But note, this did break my build systems, and my main development
> > system this weekend.  So yes, the number of people being affected might
> > be "small", but that "small" number includes the people responsible for
> > maintaining those stable kernels :(
> >
> > Anyway, it's your call, just letting you know I'm really annoyed at the
> > moment by this...
>
> It's against my better judgement, but I'll send a PR up to Linus now.

Thank you for doing so,

greg k-h