stable.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* "HID: sony: Update device ids" Patch breaks bluetooth connectivity on 4.4.x
@ 2019-03-23 14:44 Souhrid Nandi
From: Souhrid Nandi @ 2019-03-23 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable; +Cc: roderick.colenbrander, benjamin.tissoires, jkosina

Commit in question: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/9/27/647
Device tested on: OnePlus 5
Android Version: 9, Pie
Kernel Version: 4.4.177 (Personal Kernel)

This patch seems to break Bluetooth connectivity for DualShock 4
controllers on 4.4. Reverting it fixes the issue, reported and
confirmed by one of my users.
I've confirmed that this happens on other devices of the same kernel
version (4.4.y) - Redmi Note 5 Pro and other OnePlus 5/5T's for
kernels that have this commit.

* RE: "HID: sony: Update device ids" Patch breaks bluetooth connectivity on 4.4.x
@ 2019-03-25 17:07 ` Roderick.Colenbrander
From: Roderick.Colenbrander @ 2019-03-25 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: snkm1999, stable; +Cc: benjamin.tissoires, jkosina

(resubmit as plain text)

Hi Souhrid,

Let me try to help with the issue. The issue you are seeing is actually not due to the patch, but due to bugs in the Android Bluetooth stack assuming you compiled hid-sony into the kernel.

The stack in Android 9 lacked support for hid get and set report. The hid-Sony driver needs these features. Without these features probe fails.

We have added these features to Android and are in Android aosp. You could merge those changes. You need some other changes too for power management in Android.

Reverting this patch is not the right option. Honestly without this patch, the new ds4 falls back to generic hid. However ds4 is practically unusable then. Without hid-Sony in Bluetooth mode, input latency is variable up to 500ms. It is so bad it is not usable in my opinion. The problem is that the device is not properly in initialized and moves to a different mode in his-Sony.

All our improvements will be in the next major Android version Q. I suspect the current Q build for e.g. Pixel phones has the changes merged.

Thanks,
Roderick