stable.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Backporting armada-3700-rwtm-firmware DTS changes to stable kernel
@ 2021-07-20 22:25 Pali Rohár
From: Pali Rohár @ 2021-07-20 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Sasha Levin; +Cc: Marek Behún, stable

Hello Greg & Sasha, I would like to ask you for your opinion about
backporting DTS patches to stable kernel which allows usage of hwrng on
Marvell Armada 3700 devices.

Driver is already part of 5.4 kernel, just DTS bindings are not there.
I do not know if such backport is suitable for stable kernels. In file
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/stable-kernel-rules.html
is written that "New device IDs and quirks are also accepted" where
"device id" could mean also small DTS change...

What do you think? Question is about these 3 small commits:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=90ae47215de3fec862aeb1a0f0e28bb505ab1351
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=46d2f6d0c99f7f95600e633c7dc727745faaf95e
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=3a52a48973b355b3aac5add92ef50650ae37c2bd

* Re: Backporting armada-3700-rwtm-firmware DTS changes to stable kernel
@ 2021-07-20 23:03 ` Sasha Levin
From: Sasha Levin @ 2021-07-20 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pali Rohár; +Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Marek Behún, stable

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 12:25:59AM +0200, Pali Rohár wrote:
>Hello Greg & Sasha, I would like to ask you for your opinion about
>backporting DTS patches to stable kernel which allows usage of hwrng on
>Marvell Armada 3700 devices.
>
>Driver is already part of 5.4 kernel, just DTS bindings are not there.
>I do not know if such backport is suitable for stable kernels. In file
>https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/stable-kernel-rules.html
>is written that "New device IDs and quirks are also accepted" where
>"device id" could mean also small DTS change...

We could, that's how I've been parsing that rule.

>What do you think? Question is about these 3 small commits:
>https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=90ae47215de3fec862aeb1a0f0e28bb505ab1351
>https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=46d2f6d0c99f7f95600e633c7dc727745faaf95e
>https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=3a52a48973b355b3aac5add92ef50650ae37c2bd

If it was actually tested on 5.4, I could queue it up for the next
release cycle.

Sasha

* Re: Backporting armada-3700-rwtm-firmware DTS changes to stable kernel
@ 2021-07-21 13:21   ` Pali Rohár
From: Pali Rohár @ 2021-07-21 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sasha Levin; +Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Marek Behún, stable

On Tuesday 20 July 2021 19:03:49 Sasha Levin wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 12:25:59AM +0200, Pali Rohár wrote:
> > Hello Greg & Sasha, I would like to ask you for your opinion about
> > backporting DTS patches to stable kernel which allows usage of hwrng on
> > Marvell Armada 3700 devices.
> >
> > Driver is already part of 5.4 kernel, just DTS bindings are not there.
> > I do not know if such backport is suitable for stable kernels. In file
> > https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/stable-kernel-rules.html
> > is written that "New device IDs and quirks are also accepted" where
> > "device id" could mean also small DTS change...
>
> We could, that's how I've been parsing that rule.
>
> > What do you think? Question is about these 3 small commits:
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=90ae47215de3fec862aeb1a0f0e28bb505ab1351
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=46d2f6d0c99f7f95600e633c7dc727745faaf95e
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=3a52a48973b355b3aac5add92ef50650ae37c2bd
>
> If it was actually tested on 5.4, I could queue it up for the next
> release cycle.

Hello Sasha! Now I tested these patches on top of stable 5.4 and hwrng
is working fine.

* Re: Backporting armada-3700-rwtm-firmware DTS changes to stable kernel
@ 2021-07-21 13:54     ` Sasha Levin
From: Sasha Levin @ 2021-07-21 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pali Rohár; +Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman, Marek Behún, stable

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 03:21:56PM +0200, Pali Rohár wrote:
>On Tuesday 20 July 2021 19:03:49 Sasha Levin wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 12:25:59AM +0200, Pali Rohár wrote:
>> > Hello Greg & Sasha, I would like to ask you for your opinion about
>> > backporting DTS patches to stable kernel which allows usage of hwrng on
>> > Marvell Armada 3700 devices.
>> >
>> > Driver is already part of 5.4 kernel, just DTS bindings are not there.
>> > I do not know if such backport is suitable for stable kernels. In file
>> > https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/stable-kernel-rules.html
>> > is written that "New device IDs and quirks are also accepted" where
>> > "device id" could mean also small DTS change...
>>
>> We could, that's how I've been parsing that rule.
>>
>> > What do you think? Question is about these 3 small commits:
>> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=90ae47215de3fec862aeb1a0f0e28bb505ab1351
>> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=46d2f6d0c99f7f95600e633c7dc727745faaf95e
>> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=3a52a48973b355b3aac5add92ef50650ae37c2bd
>>
>> If it was actually tested on 5.4, I could queue it up for the next
>> release cycle.
>
>Hello Sasha! Now I tested these patches on top of stable 5.4 and hwrng
>is working fine.

Thanks for testing. Queued up...

Sasha