tools.linux.kernel.org archive mirror
* b4: request for adding support to get older revisions in b4 mbox
@ 2023-04-04 10:48 Shrikanth Hegde
From: Shrikanth Hegde @ 2023-04-04 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tools

Currently, the b4 mbox has a way to check for newer revisions.

b4 mbox --help
<...>
-c, --check-newer-revisions
                        Check if newer patch revisions exist

This would help to pull the later versions if exists based on the message-id.
This works as expected. If V1 of the series, it can pull all the way to latest.
That is nice.

Pulling an older version of a PATCH series given a message-id is also very
helpful. Quite often we come across a latest version of a patch series and
cover letter points that issue is described in details in V1 or V2 or so.
Finding that V1 might be tricky and take a bit of search.

Can we have that support? Does it make any sense?

Thanks
Shrikanth

* Re: b4: request for adding support to get older revisions in b4 mbox
@ 2023-04-24  5:31 ` Shrikanth Hegde
From: Shrikanth Hegde @ 2023-04-24  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tools; +Cc: shrikanth hegde

On 4/4/23 4:18 PM, Shrikanth Hegde wrote:
> Currently, the b4 mbox has a way to check for newer revisions.
>
> b4 mbox --help
> <...>
> -c, --check-newer-revisions
>                         Check if newer patch revisions exist
>
> This would help to pull the later versions if exists based on the message-id.
> This works as expected. If V1 of the series, it can pull all the way to latest.
> That is nice.
>
> Pulling an older version of a PATCH series given a message-id is also very
> helpful. Quite often we come across a latest version of a patch series and
> cover letter points that issue is described in details in V1 or V2 or so.
> Finding that V1 might be tricky and take a bit of search.
>

> Can we have that support? Does it make any sense?

Is this something worth taking a look?

Seems like infra code is already there. a new option needs to be added.
Is that possible?

I did make the changes, But it doesn't reflect the code changes. there is lack
of info on how to compile and which is the target that would be built.
If there is guide for how to compile and test, that would be helpful.