Util-Linux Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / Atom feed
* fdisk Ctrl+C
@ 2019-01-09 18:01 Jonny Grant
  2019-01-10 11:22 ` Karel Zak
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Jonny Grant @ 2019-01-09 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: util-linux; +Cc: Karel Zak

Hello!

A few questions, ideas

1. Could Ctrl+C be added to get out of changing a partition type?

2 Could the partition code check that it is hex. At the moment if I type 
'q' I get partition type 0.

3.
For partition type 0, which is called "Empty" probably this message 
should say "Empty" and not 'unknown' ?

=======
Changed type of partition 'W95 FAT32 (LBA)' to 'unknown'.
=======

Would a patch be accepted for this?


NB. See log below for more info.

Regards, Jonny




$ fdisk --version
fdisk from util-linux 2.31.1


# fdisk /dev/sdb

Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.31.1).
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
Be careful before using the write command.


Command (m for help): p
Disk /dev/sdb: 114.6 GiB, 123010547712 bytes, 240254976 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device     Boot Start       End   Sectors   Size Id Type
/dev/sdb1          32 240254975 240254944 114.6G  c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Command (m for help): t
Selected partition 1
Hex code (type L to list all codes): ^CHex code (type L to list all codes):


Hex code (type L to list all codes): q
Type 0 means free space to many systems. Having partitions of type 0 is 
probably unwise.

Changed type of partition 'W95 FAT32 (LBA)' to 'unknown'.

Command (m for help):


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: fdisk Ctrl+C
  2019-01-09 18:01 fdisk Ctrl+C Jonny Grant
@ 2019-01-10 11:22 ` Karel Zak
  2019-01-10 12:22   ` Jonny Grant
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Karel Zak @ 2019-01-10 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonny Grant; +Cc: util-linux

On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 06:01:18PM +0000, Jonny Grant wrote:
> 1. Could Ctrl+C be added to get out of changing a partition type?

Implemented.

> 2 Could the partition code check that it is hex. At the moment if I type 'q'
> I get partition type 0.

Fixed.

> 3.
> For partition type 0, which is called "Empty" probably this message should
> say "Empty" and not 'unknown' ?

Works for me now.

Thanks for your report.

    Karel

-- 
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: fdisk Ctrl+C
  2019-01-10 11:22 ` Karel Zak
@ 2019-01-10 12:22   ` Jonny Grant
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 3+ messages in thread
From: Jonny Grant @ 2019-01-10 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Zak; +Cc: util-linux



On 10/01/2019 11:22, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 06:01:18PM +0000, Jonny Grant wrote:
>> 1. Could Ctrl+C be added to get out of changing a partition type?
> 
> Implemented.
> 
>> 2 Could the partition code check that it is hex. At the moment if I type 'q'
>> I get partition type 0.
> 
> Fixed.
> 
>> 3.
>> For partition type 0, which is called "Empty" probably this message should
>> say "Empty" and not 'unknown' ?
> 
> Works for me now.
> 
> Thanks for your report.
> 
>      Karel

Great work!
Looking forward to my next dist-upgrade
Jonny

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 3+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2019-01-09 18:01 fdisk Ctrl+C Jonny Grant
2019-01-10 11:22 ` Karel Zak
2019-01-10 12:22   ` Jonny Grant

Util-Linux Archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/util-linux/0 util-linux/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 util-linux util-linux/ https://lore.kernel.org/util-linux \
		util-linux@vger.kernel.org util-linux@archiver.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index util-linux


Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.kernel.vger.util-linux


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox