* Wireguard fails on recent updates for OpenWRT on Turris Omnia, but same versions work on other (Linksys) routers with same CPU
@ 2018-07-10 20:57 mike@farmwald.com
From: mike@farmwald.com @ 2018-07-10 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

I'm not sure how to debug this, but the same wireguard configuration works
on a Linksys with the same CPU.
I realize I'm not posting enough information to help, but I'm hoping
someone else has seen the same problem and can save me time narrowing down
the problem. Since it happens on two different Turris Omnias, I'm guessing
the problem the OpenWRT release for Turris has a problem. I have a third
omnia with a much older version of OpenWRT and hence wireguiard which
seems to work fine.
Otherwise, I'll post more later.

* Re: Wireguard fails on recent updates for OpenWRT on Turris Omnia, but same versions work on other (Linksys) routers with same CPU
  2018-07-10 20:57 Wireguard fails on recent updates for OpenWRT on Turris Omnia, but same versions work on other (Linksys) routers with same CPU mike@farmwald.com
@ 2018-07-10 20:59 ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2018-07-10 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Which versions are failing and which are succeeding?

What symptoms precisely do you mean when you use the word "fail"?

Which "Linksys" routers and "CPU"s do you specifically reference?

@ 2018-07-10 21:50   ` mike@farmwald.com
From: mike@farmwald.com @ 2018-07-10 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I need to do a little debugging first, but...

Fail = no handshake, no connections. Nothing in the log that I can see. Does
Wireguard log failures anywhere?

Turris Omnia = Marvell Armada 385 (2x 1600MHz ARMv7)
Linksys WRT32X = Marvell Armada 385 (2x 1800MHz ARMv7)

Both are using 18.06rc1 OpenWRT release. Wireguard is 201806xx (25?)
release - how I tell? Wg show doesn't list the version.
Same config on WRT32x works, fails on Omnia.
This isn't time critical, and as soon I get a little time I'll get more
info.
The older Omnia is using a very old version of wireguard, probably from 2017
(again, how do I list the version?) which works.
Mike

@ 2018-07-22 13:02     ` Aaron Jones
From: Aaron Jones @ 2018-07-22 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mike; +Cc: wireguard

@ 2018-07-24  9:49       ` Steven Honson
From: Steven Honson @ 2018-07-24  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Jones, mike, wireguard

> On 22 Jul 2018, at 11:02 pm, Aaron Jones <aaronmdjones@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> # cat /sys/module/wireguard/version

On LEDE 17.01.5 at least, `/sys/module/wireguard/version` doesn=E2=80=99t =
exist, I=E2=80=99m not sure if this is the same for the release =
candidates of OpenWrt 18.06.

Unfortunately `modinfo wireguard` doesn=E2=80=99t give any indication of =
the version either for me with LEDE 17.01.5:

# modinfo wireguard
module:		/lib/modules/4.4.140/wireguard.ko
alias:		net-pf-16-proto-16-family-wireguard
alias:		rtnl-link-wireguard
license:	GPL v2
depends:	udp_tunnel,ip6_udp_tunnel

If you have installed WireGuard from the LEDE/OpenWrt package =
repository, then `opkg info wireguard-tools` to check the tools, and =
`opkg info kmod-wireguard` to check the kernel module is one way to =
verify the version:

# opkg info wireguard-tools
Package: wireguard-tools
Version: 0.0.20180625-1
Depends: libc, libmnl, ip

# opkg info kmod-wireguard
Package: kmod-wireguard
Version: 4.4.140+0.0.20180519-1
Depends: kernel (=3D 4.4.140-1-78acdb0e5133ba67c91f7694e305d1e7), =
kmod-udptunnel6, kmod-udptunnel4

Note that updates to the tools appear to be backported regularly to LEDE =
17.01, but the kernel module appears to be as of the version available =
at the time of the release (17.01.5 in my case), so it isn=E2=80=99t =
unusual for these versions to not match as is the case here with mine. =
I=E2=80=99m not sure if the next release of OpenWrt will do a similar =
thing. It=E2=80=99d be nice if the kernel module updates were backported =
too.

Cheers,
Steven=

@ 2018-07-24 11:32         ` Sebastian Gottschall
From: Sebastian Gottschall @ 2018-07-24 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Honson, Aaron Jones, mike, wireguard

openwrt doesnt use kernel 4.4 anymore for a long time. as far as i know
it switched to 4.14 since some weeks
however the original omnis turria openwrt fork uses 4.4, but with
different kernel configs. so you have to build wireguard
using exact the same sourcebase including kernel config, which is used
in your omnis turria device