* Re: Request a freeze exception for COLO in v4.6
@ 2015-07-17 16:04 Eddie Dong
From: Eddie Dong @ 2015-07-17 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian.Jackson, wei.liu2, xen-devel

> If I can take one example, 11/25 "tools/libxc: support to resume uncooperative

> HVM guests".  Based on my current understanding this is even a bugfix.  Sadly it

> is not quite ready (or at least, wasn't last night).  But with a few more days we

> can probably get much of this cleanup and preparatory work in.

I solicited Wei to give an 2-3 weeks exception time for the patch to be in much better shape, however, people simply ignore request not from Citrix without any retrospection to see where is the problem. I already heard many "believes" and "commitments" from people with the hat of maintainers  and managers, saying that he/she should be able to complete the dependency patch couple weeks before the deadline during Xen Hackathon, and agreed to raise the priority to review the patches. But was any of those commitment really made?

Be aware this pushing effort has been lasting for 2 years already, it is not this week, this month, this quarter, even not only this year.

Resorting this to one or two technical issue simply doesn't work. People with the maintainer's hat on can arbitrary re-version the existing APIs for their hobby, to block all the follow-up patches for entire release cycles, which is one entire year. In the XEN/COLO case, it is 2 years for similar reasons.

> Assuming nothing goes horribly wrong, I am very optimistic about COLO making

> it upstream soon, just not in 4.6.

 I heard similar word  one year ago too,  eveything is repeating without any retrospection: everything Citrix likes, they can happen at any time  anywhere ... Everything else, have to resort to the Citrix maintainers to has redundant bandwidth.

 Any developers from PRC, it is time for you guys to move to other hypervisors. Xen is a Citrix's hobby only, and no longer an active community project. If you couldn't prepare for at least 2 years efforts to push a patch series, Eddie personally would like to suggest you to move to other hypervisors.

From a former 11+ years experience Xen community developer, Xen spot light, and Xen active participant.
Eddie Dong

* Re: Request a freeze exception for COLO in v4.6
@ 2015-07-17 16:29 Eddie Dong
From: Eddie Dong @ 2015-07-17 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian.Jackson, wei.liu2, xen-devel, xen-devel-bounces,
	yunhong.jiang, andrew.cooper3, Ian.Campbell, Eddie

> If I can take one example, 11/25 "tools/libxc: support to resume uncooperative

> HVM guests".  Based on my current understanding this is even a bugfix.  Sadly it

> is not quite ready (or at least, wasn't last night).  But with a few more days we

> can probably get much of this cleanup and preparatory work in.

I solicited Wei to give an 2-3 weeks exception time for the patch to be in much better shape, however, people simply ignore request not from Citrix without any retrospection to see where is the problem. I already heard many "believes" and "commitments" from people with the hat of maintainers  and managers, saying that he/she should be able to complete the dependency patch couple weeks before the deadline during Xen Hackathon, and agreed to raise the priority to review the patches. But was any of those commitment really made?

Be aware this pushing effort has been lasting for 2 years already, it is not this week, this month, this quarter, even not only this year.

Resorting this to one or two technical issue simply doesn't work. People with the maintainer's hat on can arbitrary re-version the existing APIs for their hobby, to block all the follow-up patches for entire release cycles, which is one entire year. In the XEN/COLO case, it is 2 years for similar reasons.

> Assuming nothing goes horribly wrong, I am very optimistic about COLO making

> it upstream soon, just not in 4.6.

 I heard similar word  one year ago too,  eveything is repeating without any retrospection: everything Citrix likes, they can happen at any time  anywhere ... Everything else, have to resort to the Citrix maintainers to has redundant bandwidth.

 Any developers from PRC, it is time for you guys to move to other hypervisors. Xen is a Citrix's hobby only, and no longer an active community project. If you couldn't prepare for at least 2 years efforts to push a patch series, Eddie personally would like to suggest you to move to other hypervisors.

From a former 11+ years experience Xen community developer, Xen spot light, and Xen active participant.
Eddie Dong

来自 网易手机号码邮箱 -- 有手机就有网易手机号码邮箱,了解详情>

* Request a freeze exception for COLO in v4.6
@ 2015-07-15 10:17 Yang Hongyang
From: Yang Hongyang @ 2015-07-15 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu
  Cc: Ian Campbell, Wen Congyang, Andrew Cooper, Jiang Yunhong,
	Dong Eddie, xen-devel, Gui Jianfeng, Ian Jackson

Hello,

I would like to request a freeze exception for COLO.

1.The benefits
* COLO is a VM fault tolerance solution. Currently Remus provides this
   function, but it buffers all output packets, the latency is unacceptable.
   COLO addresses the problem, it can greatly improve the VM availability.
* There are 3rd parties interested in this feature, for example Huawei,
   they already released Xen/COLO in their product with offline patches.
* If this could go into Xen4.6, it will greatly speed up the production
   use of this feature as well as the development. Which could be a huge
   benefits to end-users who wants a VM FT solution to provide "non-stop
   services"

2.The risks
   I would say there should be no risk for including this feature into Xen4.6.
   Because this feature is only a bolt-on. It should sits in it's own corner
   with no harm to the existing code. On the contrary, it improves the
   existing code with quite a lot refactoring.

3.Further maintenance
   Intel and Fujitsu will maintain the code in the future, the feature goes
   into upstream does not mean the end of our development, instead it is the
   very start of our development, we will continue to improve the feature,
   fix bugs and so on.

4.Current status
   The Libxl migration v2 which we depend on should be merged soon, maybe today.
   There're 2 series on list,
   One is the prepare patchset, it is mostly refactoring and bugfix, 6/25 been
   acked. I would say most of the patchset are ready to be merged.
   Another is the main COLO series, it still needs to be carefully reviewed,
   but given the fact that this feature is only a bolt-on and we will continue
   to improve the code, it should be no harm to merge in the near future.
   I'm confident that we could get this ready in the following 1~2 weeks.

Yang.