* LVM performance problems with large number of VGs
@ 2016-04-01 14:23 Syed Mushtaq
From: Syed Mushtaq @ 2016-04-01 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel
  Cc: Tim Mackey, Will Stevens, Tutkowski, Mike, Pierre-Luc Dion,
	Marc Vaillancourt

I am testing out a system in which each Guest disk is mapped to a LUN on a
backend storage. I am using Xenserver 6.5 for this and creating an SR with
a single VDI inside it for each Guest disk. The way it would work is, from
an LVM point of view, I would have a Volume Group (VG) for each virtual
disk and a single logical volume (LV) inside that VG. What I am seeing is
that creating new volume groups is taking a lot of time. In my test after
creating about 600 volume groups, it took about 4 seconds to create a new
one. I have observed this to be a linear trend where the more VGs I add the
slower future operations become. Other operations like getting the logical
volumes inside a VG have also slowed down (even though there is only 1 LV
per VG).

I was wondering if anyone here faced a similar problem or had some
experience in dealing with LVM bottlenecks.

Thanks,
-Syed

* Re: LVM performance problems with large number of VGs
@ 2016-04-01 15:22 ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-04-01 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Syed Mushtaq
  Cc: Wei Liu, Tutkowski, Mike, Will Stevens, Marc Vaillancourt,
	Pierre-Luc Dion, xen-devel, Tim Mackey

On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 10:23:42AM -0400, Syed Mushtaq wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am testing out a system in which each Guest disk is mapped to a LUN on a
> backend storage. I am using Xenserver 6.5 for this and creating an SR with
> a single VDI inside it for each Guest disk. The way it would work is, from
> an LVM point of view, I would have a Volume Group (VG) for each virtual
> disk and a single logical volume (LV) inside that VG. What I am seeing is
> that creating new volume groups is taking a lot of time. In my test after
> creating about 600 volume groups, it took about 4 seconds to create a new
> one. I have observed this to be a linear trend where the more VGs I add the
> slower future operations become. Other operations like getting the logical
> volumes inside a VG have also slowed down (even though there is only 1 LV
> per VG).
>
> I was wondering if anyone here faced a similar problem or had some
> experience in dealing with LVM bottlenecks.

Hi this mailing list is for upstream Xen development. For XenServer
related stuff please go to xenserver.org and look for correct channel
there.

Wei.

@ 2016-04-01 15:53   ` Syed Mushtaq
From: Syed Mushtaq @ 2016-04-01 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu
  Cc: Tutkowski, Mike, Will Stevens, Marc Vaillancourt,
	Pierre-Luc Dion, xen-devel, Tim Mackey

I understand that Xenserver has a different channel but I thought of
mailing here as it would target a wider audience and I believe the problem
that I am facing would also surface itself within upstream Xen as well as
Xen also uses LVM as one of its storage options and the problem is very
specific to LVM.

Thanks,
-Syed

@ 2016-04-01 16:38 ` Roger Pau Monné
From: Roger Pau Monné @ 2016-04-01 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Syed Mushtaq
  Cc: Tutkowski, Mike, Will Stevens, Marc Vaillancourt,

On Fri, 1 Apr 2016, Syed Mushtaq wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am testing out a system in which each Guest disk is mapped to a LUN on a backend storage. I am using Xenserver 6.5 for this and creating an SR with a single VDI inside it for each Guest disk.
> The way it would work is, from an LVM point of view, I would have a Volume Group (VG) for each virtual disk and a single logical volume (LV) inside that VG. What I am seeing is that creating new
> volume groups is taking a lot of time. In my test after creating about 600 volume groups, it took about 4 seconds to create a new one. I have observed this to be a linear trend where the more
> VGs I add the slower future operations become. Other operations like getting the logical volumes inside a VG have also slowed down (even though there is only 1 LV per VG).
>
> I was wondering if anyone here faced a similar problem or had some experience in dealing with LVM bottlenecks.

It doesn't seem like this is related to Xen, so I would recommend that you
ask in the linux-lvm [0] mailing list. TBH, I have no idea how well LVM
scales in these kind of scenarios.

Roger.

* Re: LVM performance problems with large number of VGs
@ 2016-04-01 17:19   ` Syed Mushtaq
From: Syed Mushtaq @ 2016-04-01 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Pau Monné
  Cc: Tutkowski, Mike, Will Stevens, Marc Vaillancourt,