meta-freescale.lists.yoctoproject.org archive mirror
* Yocto browser require low memory footprints   #yocto #meta-freescale
@ 2022-06-30 18:20 yogeshbsa89
From: yogeshbsa89 @ 2022-06-30 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

Hi ,

We are using Yocto Linux 3.0 zeus branch on imx6 based SOC.
we are looking for light weight web browser since our HW platform has only 1 GB of RAM supports.
as of now we are using chromium version 75. but in some use cases we are short falling of RAM. sometimes we have also seen chromium triggers OOM which crashes our main application.
please suggest some light weight browser options or any idea with which we can reduce memory requirement of chromium.
our use case of browser is to only send some predefined screens to one of the browser tab.

* Re: [meta-freescale] Yocto browser require low memory footprints #yocto #meta-freescale
@ 2022-06-30 18:42 ` Joshua Watt
From: Joshua Watt @ 2022-06-30 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yogeshbsa89; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 1:20 PM <yogeshbsa89@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> We are using Yocto Linux 3.0 zeus branch on imx6 based SOC.
> we are looking for light weight web browser since our HW platform has only 1 GB of RAM supports.
> as of now we are using chromium version 75. but in some use cases we are short falling of RAM. sometimes we have also seen chromium triggers OOM which crashes our main application.
> please suggest some light weight browser options or any idea with which we can reduce memory requirement of chromium.
> our use case of browser is to only send some predefined screens to one of the browser tab.

You might try WPEWebKit. I've used it before and it's good for a very
minimal display of web content while still being fairly full featured.

* Re: [meta-freescale] Yocto browser require low memory footprints #yocto #meta-freescale
@ 2022-07-01  6:19 ` S. Lockwood-Childs
From: S. Lockwood-Childs @ 2022-07-01  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yogeshbsa89; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 11:20:13AM -0700, yogeshbsa89@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> We are using Yocto Linux 3.0 zeus branch on imx6 based SOC.
> we are looking for light weight web browser since our HW platform has only 1 GB of RAM supports.
> as of now we are using chromium version 75. but in some use cases we are short falling of RAM. sometimes we have also seen chromium triggers OOM which crashes our main application.
> please suggest some light weight browser options or any idea with which we can reduce memory requirement of chromium.
> our use case of browser is to only send some predefined screens to one of the browser tab.

I've used 'links' browser, which is very light-weight but also very
minimal features. If your pre-rendered html is fairly simple, it might
work out; probably worth taking a look at how some example pages render
in 'links' installed on a Linux desktop.

http://cgit.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded/tree/meta-oe/recipes-support/links