* Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
@ 2009-04-21 14:17 Stephen Spector
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Stephen Spector @ 2009-04-21 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-users, 'xen-devel@lists.xensource.com'

With Xen 3.4 in test for final release shortly, it is time to submit your feature requests for the next release, Xen 4.0. The current product roadmap is at http://www.xen.org/download/roadmap.html and will be updated with the new features you submit once Xen 3.4 is released.

Please send me your features. Thanks.

Stephen Spector
Community Manager, Xen.org
stephen.spector@xen.org
(772) 621-5062
Blog: http://blog.xen.org
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/xen_com_mgr

* R: Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
@ 2009-04-21 14:53 ` Francesco Gallo
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Francesco Gallo @ 2009-04-21 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Stephen Spector', xen-users, xen-devel

I would like to have dynamic memory mangement for overcommitting RAM (like
vmware…).

Thanks and regards,

Francesco Gallo

With Xen 3.4 in test for final release shortly, it is time to submit your
feature requests for the next release, Xen 4.0. The current product roadmap
is at http://www.xen.org/download/roadmap.html and will be updated with the
new features you submit once Xen 3.4 is released.

Please send me your features. Thanks.

Stephen Spector

Community Manager, Xen.org

stephen.spector@xen.org

(772) 621-5062

Blog: http://blog.xen.org

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/xen_com_mgr

* RE: Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
@ 2009-04-21 16:48 ` Tim Moore
                     ` (2 more replies)
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Tim Moore @ 2009-04-21 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Stephen Spector',
	xen-users, 'xen-devel@lists.xensource.com'

1. PCI VGA Passthrough for VT-d
    Support for everyday vendor cards from Nvidia primarily, then ATI and others .... (I know there is already limited support for Intel)

Thanks!

________________________________
With Xen 3.4 in test for final release shortly, it is time to submit your feature requests for the next release, Xen 4.0. The current product roadmap is at http://www.xen.org/download/roadmap.html and will be updated with the new features you submit once Xen 3.4 is released.

Please send me your features. Thanks.

Stephen Spector
Community Manager, Xen.org
stephen.spector@xen.org
(772) 621-5062
Blog: http://blog.xen.org
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/xen_com_mgr

* Re: RE: Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
@ 2009-04-21 17:37   ` Paul Schulze
From: Paul Schulze @ 2009-04-21 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Moore
  Cc: 'xen-devel@lists.xensource.com',
	'Stephen Spector',
	xen-users

* Re: Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
@ 2009-04-21 18:43 ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2009-04-21 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Spector; +Cc: 'xen-devel@lists.xensource.com', xen-users

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 10:17:04AM -0400, Stephen Spector wrote:
> With Xen 3.4 in test for final release shortly, it is time to submit your feature requests for the next release, Xen 4.0. The current product roadmap is at http://www.xen.org/download/roadmap.html and will be updated with the new features you submit once Xen 3.4 is released.
>
> Please send me your features. Thanks.

Online resizing of domU disks.

Earlier discussion about the subject:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-09/msg00158.html
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2008-04/msg00246.html

Upstream Linux kernel 2.6.28 supports online resizing of SCSI disks. Also
RHEL 5.3 (and CentOS 5.3) supports online resizing of SCSI disks.

Should I write more detailed description of this feature request?

-- Pasi

@ 2009-04-21 19:13   ` Jean Guyader
From: Jean Guyader @ 2009-04-21 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Moore; +Cc: xen-devel, Stephen Spector, xen-users

2009/4/21 Tim Moore <timothy.moore@expidas.net>:
> 1. PCI VGA Passthrough for VT-d
>
>     Support for everyday vendor cards from Nvidia primarily, then ATI and
> others …. (I know there is already limited support for Intel)

I don't thing that something we can put into a roadmap.
Most of the issue we have can most of the time only be solve with new
driver or new firmware.

However we could commit to put the workaround we currently have in XCI into xen.

Thanks,
Jean

@ 2009-04-21 20:03   ` Andy Burns
From: Andy Burns @ 2009-04-21 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

2009/4/21 Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@iki.fi>:

> Online resizing of domU disks.

+1

* Re: Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
@ 2009-04-21 20:10     ` Maximilian Wilhelm
From: Maximilian Wilhelm @ 2009-04-21 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Anno domini 2009 Andy Burns scripsit:

> 2009/4/21 Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@iki.fi>:
>
> > Online resizing of domU disks.

> +1

Add me ;)

Ciao
Max
--
	Follow the white penguin.

* Re: Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-04-22  0:31 ` Philipp Schmid
From: Philipp Schmid @ 2009-04-22  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-users, xen-devel

I would like to have a way to easily limit I/O for individual disks of
virtual machines (pv, hvm and hvm-studom).
Maybe in a similar way to the credit scheduler's weight?

You can already partition CPU-Time, RAM, Disk space, but not really
Disk I/O...

William Pitcock seems to do some work on a I/O QoS token-based
approach, maybe this is a good start?

Best regards,

Philipp Schmid
+43 699 17246437

http://netmonic.com
http://blog.netmonic.com
http://twitter.com/netmonic

@ 2009-04-22  1:08   ` Dirk Utterback
From: Dirk Utterback @ 2009-04-22  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Moore; +Cc: xen-devel, Stephen Spector, xen-users

  It would be very nice if PCI passthrough for all VT machines (not just for
VT-d boxes) is available.

Thanks,
Dirk

@ 2009-04-22  1:14     ` Samuel Thibault
From: Samuel Thibault @ 2009-04-22  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Utterback; +Cc: xen-devel, Tim Moore, Stephen Spector, xen-users

Dirk Utterback, le Tue 21 Apr 2009 18:08:41 -0700, a écrit :
>   It would be very nice if PCI passthrough for all VT machines (not just for
> VT-d boxes) is available.

Unsafe PCI passthrough is available.  Safe PCI passthrough just can not
happen without VT-d.

Samuel

* Re: Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
@ 2009-04-22  1:24   ` Akio Takebe
From: Akio Takebe @ 2009-04-22  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp Schmid; +Cc: Ryo Tsuruta, xen-devel, xen-users

Hi,

There are some discussions of I/O QoS feature in upstream of linux.
We may be able to use such a feature with dom0 pv_ops of upstreams.
e.g.
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0904.2/01317.html

dm-ioband has rpm package of RHEL/CentOS, so you can use dm-ioband for xen.
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-04/msg00116.html

If you are interested in dm-ioband, please comment to Ryo.
He would want feedbacks from many users.

Best Regards,

Akio Takebe

Philipp Schmid wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to have a way to easily limit I/O for individual disks of
> virtual machines (pv, hvm and hvm-studom).
> Maybe in a similar way to the credit scheduler's weight?
>
> You can already partition CPU-Time, RAM, Disk space, but not really Disk
> I/O...
>
> William Pitcock seems to do some work on a I/O QoS token-based approach,
> maybe this is a good start?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Philipp Schmid
> +43 699 17246437
>
> http://netmonic.com
> http://blog.netmonic.com
> http://twitter.com/netmonic
>
> On Apr 21, 2009, at 4:17 PM, Stephen Spector wrote:
>
>> With Xen 3.4 in test for final release shortly, it is time to submit
>> your feature requests for the next release, Xen 4.0. The current
>> product roadmap is athttp://www.xen.org/download/roadmap.html and will
>> be updated with the new features you submit once Xen 3.4 is released.
>>
>> Please send me your features. Thanks.
>>
>> Stephen Spector
>> Community Manager, Xen.org
>> stephen.spector@xen.org
>> (772) 621-5062
>> Blog: http://blog.xen.org
>> Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/xen_com_mgr

* TSC virtualization across different host frequency platform migration
@ 2009-04-22  1:32     ` Dong, Eddie
From: Dong, Eddie @ 2009-04-22  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: Tian, Kevin, Dong, Eddie, Keir Fraser, Zhang, Xiantao

Keir and all:
	Recently we are considering the potential issue of TSC virtualization across different frequency platform migration. Current approach will lead to synchronization issue between guest TSC and wall clock. Software trap and emulate can solve the problem with the payment of performance overhead which is not optimal. We want to propose smart scaling algorithm which can continuously use HW TSC_OFFSET and maintain long time synchronization of guest TSC.  The details are in attached document. Can you have a look and provide comments?
	Thanks. BTW of course PV time is another solution which is not covered in this proposal.

Eddie

[-- Attachment #2: tsc-scale2.pdf --]

* Re: Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
@ 2009-04-22  1:57     ` Ryo Tsuruta
From: Ryo Tsuruta @ 2009-04-22  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: takebe_akio; +Cc: xen-devel, xen-users, lists

Hi,

From: Akio Takebe <takebe_akio@jp.fujitsu.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:24:20 +0900

> dm-ioband has rpm package of RHEL/CentOS, so you can use dm-ioband for xen.
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-04/msg00116.html
>
> If you are interested in dm-ioband, please comment to Ryo.
> He would want feedbacks from many users.

Thanks you takebe-san for introducing dm-ioband.

I ran some benchmarks with Xen and got goot results.
  Bandwidth control for Xen
  - On a per Xen virtual block device basis.
  http://people.valinux.co.jp/~ryov/dm-ioband/benchmark/xen-partition.html
  - On a per Xen blktap process basis.
  http://people.valinux.co.jp/~ryov/dm-ioband/benchmark/xen-blktap.html

You can download RPM packages for RHEL/CentOS from the below link.
  http://people.valinux.co.jp/~ryov/dm-ioband/binary.html
And you can find configuration examples on the below link.
  http://people.valinux.co.jp/~ryov/dm-ioband/manual/examples.html#AEN584

Please try to use dm-ioband and let me know your feedback.

Thanks,
Ryo Tsuruta

* Re: RE: Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
@ 2009-04-22  8:08       ` Dirk Utterback
From: Dirk Utterback @ 2009-04-22  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Thibault, Dirk Utterback, Tim Moore,
	xen-devel@lists.xensource.com

Samuel,

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Samuel Thibault <
samuel.thibault@ens-lyon.org> wrote:

> Dirk Utterback, le Tue 21 Apr 2009 18:08:41 -0700, a écrit :
> >   It would be very nice if PCI passthrough for all VT machines (not just
> for
> > VT-d boxes) is available.
>
> Unsafe PCI passthrough is available.  Safe PCI passthrough just can not
> happen without VT-d.

   I agree PCI passthrough without VT-d has drawbacks. I just want to
achieve
good performance but not security. Are you saying it is available now?

Thanks,
Dirk

* Re: RE: Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
@ 2009-04-22  8:11         ` Samuel Thibault
From: Samuel Thibault @ 2009-04-22  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Utterback; +Cc: xen-devel, Tim Moore, Stephen Spector, xen-users

Dirk Utterback, le Wed 22 Apr 2009 01:08:26 -0700, a écrit :
>     Dirk Utterback, le Tue 21 Apr 2009 18:08:41 -0700, a écrit :
>     >   It would be very nice if PCI passthrough for all VT machines (not just
>     for
>     > VT-d boxes) is available.
>
>     Unsafe PCI passthrough is available.  Safe PCI passthrough just can not
>     happen without VT-d.
>

>    I agree PCI passthrough without VT-d has drawbacks. I just want to achieve
> good performance but not security. Are you saying it is available now?

Sure, just use pciback and assign the device to a domU.

Samuel

* Re: TSC virtualization across different host frequency platform migration
@ 2009-04-22  8:13       ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2009-04-22  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dong, Eddie, xen-devel; +Cc: Tian, Kevin, Zhang, Xiantao

On 22/04/2009 02:32, "Dong, Eddie" <eddie.dong@intel.com> wrote:

> Keir and all:
> Recently we are considering the potential issue of TSC virtualization across
> different frequency platform migration. Current approach will lead to
> synchronization issue between guest TSC and wall clock. Software trap and
> emulate can solve the problem with the payment of performance overhead which
> is not optimal. We want to propose smart scaling algorithm which can
> continuously use HW TSC_OFFSET and maintain long time synchronization of guest
> TSC.  The details are in attached document. Can you have a look and provide
> comments?

The important questions are: What guests get confused by an out-of-sync TSC?
And is coarse-grained re-sync (multi-second quantum?) good enough? As a
re-sync strategy well, yes, obviously it works but with some drawbacks.

It would be very nice if VT could be extended to scale the host TSC as well
as offset it. I would think that would be quite easy to do.

 -- Keir

@ 2009-04-22  8:49         ` Dong, Eddie
From: Dong, Eddie @ 2009-04-22  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser, xen-devel; +Cc: Tian, Kevin, Dong, Eddie, Zhang, Xiantao

Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 22/04/2009 02:32, "Dong, Eddie" <eddie.dong@intel.com> wrote:
>
>> Keir and all:
>> Recently we are considering the potential issue of TSC
>> virtualization across different frequency platform migration.
>> Current approach will lead to synchronization issue between guest
>> TSC and wall clock. Software trap and emulate can solve the problem
>> with the payment of performance overhead which is not optimal. We
>> want to propose smart scaling algorithm which can continuously use
>> HW TSC_OFFSET and maintain long time synchronization of guest TSC.
>> The details are in attached document. Can you have a look and
>> provide comments?
>
> The important questions are: What guests get confused by an
> out-of-sync TSC? And is coarse-grained re-sync (multi-second

That is what I am interested too. Is there any report from real deployment
which utilize migration frequently?

thx, eddie

* RE: R: Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
@ 2009-04-22 14:51   ` Kashif Ali
From: Kashif Ali @ 2009-04-22 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cluster, stephen.spector, xen-users, xen-devel

If there is any way to monitor,limit and control network traffic coming at domUs with xen. I would like xen to have this feature as well.

Thanks,
Kashif

shortly, it is time to submit your feature requests for the next release, Xen
4.0. The current product roadmap is at http://www.xen.org/download/roadmap.html
and will be updated with the new features you submit once Xen 3.4 is released.

Please send me your features. Thanks.

Stephen Spector

Community Manager, Xen.org

stephen.spector@xen.org

(772) 621-5062

Blog: http://blog.xen.org

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/xen_com_mgr

http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Rediscover_Mobile2_042009

* RE: TSC virtualization across different host frequency platform migration
@ 2009-04-22 15:47       ` Dan Magenheimer
From: Dan Magenheimer @ 2009-04-22 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dong, Eddie, xen-devel
  Cc: Tian, Kevin, dan.magenheimer, Keir Fraser, Zhang, Xiantao

Hi Eddie/Kevin --

I'm sorry to be dense, but I don't understand the
details of your solution.  I'm also not sure I
understand the problem you are trying to solve.
The problem description doesn't describe a problem,
just an event.

I'm guessing the problem is:  When a guest chooses
TSC as its primary clocksource AND a migration later
occurs to a host with a different TSC frequency
THEN wallclock time (e.g. the "date" command)
becomes incorrect.

I'm also guessing that you are NOT trying to solve
the problem:  An application that uses TSC
heavily to measure the passage of time AND
calibrates TSC on host A AND invisibly
migrates to host B with a different TSC
frequency THEN will NOT be able to accurately
measure the passage of time.  However, it will
continue to be monotonically increasing.

In other words, you are trying to solve the OS problem
but not the application problem.

Is this correct?  If so, then I think I understand
your proposal.

Also, I think it would be worthwhile to remeasure the
cost of trapping every TSC read, using current
processors and with some attempt in Xen to make
the emulation fast (returning Xen system time).
10% seems like a VERY large number, even if a database
is using TSC read to timestamp every transaction.

If software-emulated TSC read can be made fast enough,
then it solves both the OS and application problem.

Dan

* Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-04-22 16:14 ` Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro
From: Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro @ 2009-04-22 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Spector; +Cc: xen-devel, xen-users

I guess Xen needs some kind of Virtual Ethernet Switch, virtual uplinks
(through SSH, for example), virtual cables, virtual plugs, so I can create a
virtual switch per client on each of my dom0 of my cluster, or maybe it
needs a easy way to integrate itself with VDE2.

Regards,
Thiago

2009/4/21 Stephen Spector <stephen.spector@citrix.com>

>  With Xen 3.4 in test for final release shortly, it is time to submit your
> feature requests for the next release, Xen 4.0. The current product roadmap
> is at http://www.xen.org/download/roadmap.html and will be updated with
> the new features you submit once Xen 3.4 is released.
>

> Please send me your features. Thanks.
>

> Stephen Spector
>
> Community Manager, Xen.org
>
> stephen.spector@xen.org
>
> (772) 621-5062
>
> Blog: http://blog.xen.org
>
> Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/xen_com_mgr

* Re: R: Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
@ 2009-04-22 19:49     ` Alessandro R.
From: Alessandro R. @ 2009-04-22 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kashif Ali; +Cc: cluster, xen-devel, stephen.spector, xen-users

A tool that permit to configure virtual bridge like real switch (e.g.
control VLAN, port status etc.)

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Kashif Ali <kashif_quaidian@hotmail.com> wrote:
> If there is any way to monitor,limit and control network traffic coming at
> domUs with xen. I would like xen to have this feature as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Kashif
>
> ________________________________
> From: cluster@xinet.it
> To: stephen.spector@citrix.com; xen-users@lists.xensource.com;
> xen-devel@lists.xensource.com
> Subject: R: [Xen-users] Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:53:04 +0200
> CC:
>
> I would like to have dynamic memory mangement for overcommitting RAM (like
> vmware…).
>

> Thanks and regards,
>
> Francesco Gallo

Alessandro R.

NOTICE
This message is for the named person's use only and it's confidential.
If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and
and notify the sender. Thank you.

* RE: TSC virtualization across different host frequency platform migration
@ 2009-04-23  1:28         ` Dong, Eddie
From: Dong, Eddie @ 2009-04-23  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Magenheimer, xen-devel
  Cc: Tian, Kevin, Dong, Eddie, Keir Fraser, Zhang, Xiantao

Dan Magenheimer wrote:
> Hi Eddie/Kevin --
>
> I'm sorry to be dense, but I don't understand the
> details of your solution.  I'm also not sure I
> understand the problem you are trying to solve.
> The problem description doesn't describe a problem,
> just an event.
>
> I'm guessing the problem is:  When a guest chooses
> TSC as its primary clocksource AND a migration later
> occurs to a host with a different TSC frequency
> THEN wallclock time (e.g. the "date" command)
> becomes incorrect.

Mostly yes though don't know if guest wall clock depends on TSC heavily.

> I'm also guessing that you are NOT trying to solve
> the problem:  An application that uses TSC
> heavily to measure the passage of time AND
> calibrates TSC on host A AND invisibly
> migrates to host B with a different TSC
> frequency THEN will NOT be able to accurately
> measure the passage of time.  However, it will
> continue to be monotonically increasing.

Yes, if we don't scale the TSC.
The proposal tries to solve the problem.

We can use software trap and emulate to scale the TSC so
that guest TSC after migration is same with that before migration.

But this is not optimial since the overhead may be too high. So we
propose to use smart scaling, which continuously use TSC_OFFSET,
but adjust the TSC_OFFSET value time to time (today it is fixed),
so that an application that uses TSC heavily to measure the passage of time
can get correct time.

thx, eddie

* RE: TSC virtualization across different host frequency platform migration
@ 2009-04-23  3:20           ` Tian, Kevin
From: Tian, Kevin @ 2009-04-23  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
>> I'm sorry to be dense, but I don't understand the
>> details of your solution.  I'm also not sure I
>> understand the problem you are trying to solve.
>> The problem description doesn't describe a problem,
>> just an event.
>>
>> I'm guessing the problem is:  When a guest chooses
>> TSC as its primary clocksource AND a migration later
>> occurs to a host with a different TSC frequency
>> THEN wallclock time (e.g. the "date" command)
>> becomes incorrect.
>
>Mostly yes though don't know if guest wall clock depends on
>TSC heavily.
>

>> I'm also guessing that you are NOT trying to solve
>> the problem:  An application that uses TSC
>> heavily to measure the passage of time AND
>> calibrates TSC on host A AND invisibly
>> migrates to host B with a different TSC
>> frequency THEN will NOT be able to accurately
>> measure the passage of time.  However, it will
>> continue to be monotonically increasing.
>
>Yes, if we don't scale the TSC.
>The proposal tries to solve the problem.
>
>We can use software trap and emulate to scale the TSC so
>that guest TSC after migration is same with that before migration.
>
>But this is not optimial since the overhead may be too high. So we
>propose to use smart scaling, which continuously use TSC_OFFSET,
>but adjust the TSC_OFFSET value time to time (today it is fixed),
>so that an application that uses TSC heavily to measure the
>passage of time
>can get correct time.

So we're really not trying to solve the micro-level accuracy if app
tries to use TSC for that purpose, which always bias from bare
metal as long as running in a VM. Here we're trying to ensure
macro-level accuracy and thus ToD in guest after migration, with
performance optimized if app in VM uses gettimeofday frequently.
In that way, gap between trap vs. notrap would be orders of
magnitude.

Thanks
Kevin

* RE: TSC virtualization across different host frequency platform migration
@ 2009-04-23  3:39             ` Dan Magenheimer
From: Dan Magenheimer @ 2009-04-23  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tian, Kevin, Dong, Eddie, xen-devel; +Cc: Keir Fraser, Zhang, Xiantao

OK, I think I understand, but I think you are
solving a very limited problem ("make sure that
a user/program that requests time-of-day gets
an answer which is close to accurate") but
not solving the broader class of time problems,
and you may be making them worse.  If your solution
is implemented and the OS or an application reads tsc,
the values obtained will be monotonically increasing
but will have large gaps, correct?

If software-emulated tsc reads is really 10% loss
in system performance, I agree that this might be
the lesser of two evils.  But I don't believe the
10%.

@ 2009-04-23  6:15               ` Tian, Kevin
From: Tian, Kevin @ 2009-04-23  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Magenheimer, Dong, Eddie, xen-devel
>OK, I think I understand, but I think you are
>solving a very limited problem ("make sure that
>a user/program that requests time-of-day gets
>an answer which is close to accurate") but
>not solving the broader class of time problems,
>and you may be making them worse.  If your solution
>is implemented and the OS or an application reads tsc,
>the values obtained will be monotonically increasing
>but will have large gaps, correct?

that's always the case even w/o migration, since VM can be
preempted at any time.

>If software-emulated tsc reads is really 10% loss
>in system performance, I agree that this might be
>the lesser of two evils.  But I don't believe the
>10%.

That's really application specific, depending on the frequency
of gettimeofday, e.g. in some database transation to stamp
each record fastly. I had no exact data though. One of my
colleagues (Xiaowei Yang) once solved one severe performance
downgrade issue (orders of magnitude, >10%), when guest
is observed falling back to use vHPET instead of TSC. The
reason for fallback is not important here, but that actually inspires
us to pay more attention here.

Thanks,
Kevin

* RE: R: Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
@ 2009-04-23  7:27       ` Robert Dunkley
From: Robert Dunkley @ 2009-04-23  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro R., Kashif Ali; +Cc: cluster, xen-devel, stephen.spector, xen-users

I second this request, just an easy way of VLan tagging per NIC in the VM config file would be good.

Rob

A tool that permit to configure virtual bridge like real switch (e.g.
control VLAN, port status etc.)

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Kashif Ali <kashif_quaidian@hotmail.com> wrote:
> If there is any way to monitor,limit and control network traffic coming at
> domUs with xen. I would like xen to have this feature as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Kashif
>
> ________________________________
> From: cluster@xinet.it
> To: stephen.spector@citrix.com; xen-users@lists.xensource.com;
> xen-devel@lists.xensource.com
> Subject: R: [Xen-users] Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:53:04 +0200
> CC:
>
> I would like to have dynamic memory mangement for overcommitting RAM (like
> vmware...).
>

> Thanks and regards,
>
> Francesco Gallo

The SAQ Group

Registered Office: 18 Chapel Street, Petersfield, Hampshire GU32 3DZ
SAQ is the trading name of SEMTEC Limited. Registered in England & Wales
Company Number: 06481952

http://www.saqnet.co.uk AS29219

SAQ Group Delivers high quality, honestly priced communication and I.T. services to UK Business.

Broadband : Domains : Email : Hosting : CoLo : Servers : Racks : Transit : Backups : Managed Networks : Remote Support.

ISPA Member

Find us in http://www.thebestof.co.uk/petersfield

* Re: R: Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
@ 2009-04-23 13:38         ` Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro
From: Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro @ 2009-04-23 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Dunkley
  Cc: xen-devel, Kashif Ali, Alessandro R.,
	xen-users, cluster, stephen.spector

What about integrating Xen with a Virtual Ethernet Switch (like VDE2)?
You can create a switch per client...

@ 2009-04-23 13:58                 ` Dan Magenheimer
From: Dan Magenheimer @ 2009-04-23 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tian, Kevin, Dong, Eddie, xen-devel
  Cc: Yang, Xiaowei, Keir Fraser, Zhang, Xiantao

> that's always the case even w/o migration, since VM can be
> preempted at any time.

Not if it the vcpu is pinned, and that may often
be the case for database apps.

> That's really application specific, depending on the frequency
> of gettimeofday, e.g. in some database transation to stamp
> each record fastly. I had no exact data though. One of my
> colleagues (Xiaowei Yang) once solved one severe performance
> downgrade issue (orders of magnitude, >10%), when guest
> is observed falling back to use vHPET instead of TSC. The
> reason for fallback is not important here, but that actually inspires
> us to pay more attention here.

I'm suggesting that you measure and compare the cycle
cost of a TSC read and a vTSC read (and maybe also
a vHPET read), and also look at the code to see what
the bottleneck is for a vTSC read and if it can be made
faster.  And since your solution doesn't solve PV time,
maybe also measure a vTSC read in a PV guest.

I also agree with Keir that a tsc scaler might be a
good enhancement to request for future VT-x designs.

@ 2009-04-23 14:34           ` Robert Dunkley
From: Robert Dunkley @ 2009-04-23 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro
  Cc: xen-devel, Kashif Ali, Alessandro R.,
	xen-users, cluster, stephen.spector

VDE2 looks good, Fast Spanning tree could be useful but any idea what sort of performance hit would be taken by using VDE2? Lets see if there is any developer feedback, personally I think Vlan tagging needs addressing at some point since current VLan implementations with Xen are quite complex (Eg. Creating multiple bridges) and still have limitations.

Rob

@ 2009-04-23 15:01             ` Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro
From: Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro @ 2009-04-23 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Dunkley
  Cc: xen-devel, Kashif Ali, Alessandro R.,
	xen-users, cluster, stephen.spector

I have done some benchmarks with VDE2 with KVM and it is really fast! No one
notes VDE2...

2009/4/23 Robert Dunkley <Robert@saq.co.uk>

>  VDE2 looks good, Fast Spanning tree could be useful but any idea what
> sort of performance hit would be taken by using VDE2? Lets see if there is
> any developer feedback, personally I think Vlan tagging needs addressing at
> some point since current VLan implementations with Xen are quite complex
> (Eg. Creating multiple bridges) and still have limitations.
>

> Rob

* Re: RE: R: [Xen-users] Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
@ 2009-04-24  8:50             ` Kieran Mansley
From: Kieran Mansley @ 2009-04-24  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-users, xen-devel

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 15:34 +0100, Robert Dunkley wrote:
> VDE2 looks good, Fast Spanning tree could be useful but any idea what
> sort of performance hit would be taken by using VDE2? Lets see if
> there is any developer feedback, personally I think Vlan tagging needs
> addressing at some point since current VLan implementations with Xen
> are quite complex (Eg. Creating multiple bridges) and still have
> limitations.

This sort of thing interests Solarflare, but in a more general way.
With Xen (and other virtualisation technologies) users often end up with
a set of bridges, v-switches, hardware switches, and now switches
(albeit limited in capabilities) in virtualisation-aware NICs.  It would
be very useful to develop a control plane over all these devices to
allow them to be sensibly configured from a single point.  I know there
are some people working on bits of this problem but bringing it all
together to work on Xen, using open APIs and protocols so that other
technologies could be easily integrated, would help a lot.

I'll add this to the list on the wiki, but would be happy to hear from
others if they have ideas on this topic.

Thanks

Kieran

* Re: Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-05-03 18:27 ` Sander Eikelenboom
From: Sander Eikelenboom @ 2009-05-03 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Spector; +Cc: xen-devel

The features i'm looking for are:

- as many others .. VGA (pci-e/pci) passthrough
- complete USB passthrough, (also working for webcams/videograbbers etc)

i'm currently working with "USB over IP" from the
http://usbip.sourceforge.net/ project. It is working fine for
printers/scanners, and almost perfect for webcam (some little distortion
left). But functionality within XEN would be better.

Keep up the good work, still loving xen , and always happy to test :-)

--
Sander

> With Xen 3.4 in test for final release shortly, it is time to submit
> your feature requests for the next release, Xen 4.0. The current product
> roadmap is at http://www.xen.org/download/roadmap.html and will be
> updated with the new features you submit once Xen 3.4 is released.

> Please send me your features. Thanks.

> Stephen Spector
> Community Manager, Xen.org
> stephen.spector@xen.org
> (772) 621-5062
> Blog: http://blog.xen.org
> Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/xen_com_mgr

--
Best regards,
 Sander                            mailto:linux@eikelenboom.it

* Re: Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
@ 2009-05-03 20:12   ` Paul Schulze
From: Paul Schulze @ 2009-05-03 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sander Eikelenboom; +Cc: xen-devel, Stephen Spector

* Re[2]: Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
@ 2009-05-04  5:54     ` Sander Eikelenboom
From: Sander Eikelenboom @ 2009-05-04  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Schulze; +Cc: xen-devel, Stephen Spector

Good point, some good and flexible management would be nice to have too.

USBIP at the moment can handle:

- remove binding to currently loaded modules
- binding to usbip at plugin time
In some quite simple userspace management tools.

For xen it think xend would be the place for normal rules, and xm for
hotplug ?

It would be nice if you could make the rules for usb passthrough match with
both usb port numbers as well as device id's, perhaps even with wildcards.

--
Best regards,
 Sander                            mailto:linux@eikelenboom.it

* Re: Re[2]: Xen 4.0 Feature Requests
@ 2009-05-05 14:24       ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2009-05-05 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sander Eikelenboom; +Cc: xen-devel, Stephen Spector, Paul Schulze

Sander Eikelenboom writes ("Re[2]: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.0 Feature Requests"):
> Good point, some good and flexible management would be nice to have too.
>
> USBIP at the moment can handle:

Yes, the usbip management tools are much better than the pvusb setup
we have right now.  Sadly I didn't find the usbip code worked very
well for me (at least, the version I found in upstream 2.6-staging).
It would be sensible in the longer term to try to unify usbip with our
pvusb support.

> It would be nice if you could make the rules for usb passthrough match with
> both usb port numbers as well as device id's, perhaps even with wildcards.

Yes.

Patches will be very welcome, after the 3.4 release :-).

Thanks,
Ian.