* G4 mdd help request
@ 2003-07-16  9:09 Giuliano Pochini
From: Giuliano Pochini @ 2003-07-16  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev

I bought a dual G4-MDD and I installed my SCSI disk I used on
my G3. Is there an osx command to get the openfirmware path of
the yaboot partition on that disc ?  I tried to boot
/pci@f2000000/ADPT,29160@12/@4:9,ofboot.b but it doesn't work.
Macosx mounts the HFS partitions on the old disc, but it doesn't
show any of them on the startup disk utility (does it need to be
blessed again ?).

Bye.

* Re: G4 mdd help request
@ 2003-07-16  9:36 ` Ethan Benson
From: Ethan Benson @ 2003-07-16  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 11:09:40AM +0200, Giuliano Pochini wrote:

> I bought a dual G4-MDD and I installed my SCSI disk I used on
> my G3. Is there an osx command to get the openfirmware path of
> the yaboot partition on that disc ?  I tried to boot
> /pci@f2000000/ADPT,29160@12/@4:9,ofboot.b but it doesn't work.
> Macosx mounts the HFS partitions on the old disc, but it doesn't
> show any of them on the startup disk utility (does it need to be
> blessed again ?).

the yaboot bootstrap partition should be type Apple_Bootstrap and thus
never mounted by any macos, if this is the case there is no need to
rebless it since macos never tampered with it.

now if you didn't follow directions and made it an Apple_HFS then
macos probably broke it yes.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/

* Re: G4 mdd help request
@ 2003-07-16 10:16   ` Giuliano Pochini
From: Giuliano Pochini @ 2003-07-16 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ethan Benson; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

On 16-Jul-2003 Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 11:09:40AM +0200, Giuliano Pochini wrote:
>>
>> I bought a dual G4-MDD and I installed my SCSI disk I used on
>> my G3. Is there an osx command to get the openfirmware path of
>> the yaboot partition on that disc ?  I tried to boot
>> /pci@f2000000/ADPT,29160@12/@4:9,ofboot.b but it doesn't work.
>> Macosx mounts the HFS partitions on the old disc, but it doesn't
>> show any of them on the startup disk utility (does it need to be
>> blessed again ?).
>
> the yaboot bootstrap partition should be type Apple_Bootstrap and thus
> never mounted by any macos, if this is the case there is no need to
> rebless it since macos never tampered with it.

IIRC it's Apple_Bootstrap, but first of all I must know the correct
ofpath... I also tried to boot the YDL2.3 cd without success :(

> now if you didn't follow directions and made it an Apple_HFS then
> macos probably broke it yes.

I'll try to get osx root access.

Bye.

* Re: G4 mdd help request
@ 2003-07-16 11:07     ` Ethan Benson
From: Ethan Benson @ 2003-07-16 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 12:16:44PM +0200, Giuliano Pochini wrote:

> On 16-Jul-2003 Ethan Benson wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 11:09:40AM +0200, Giuliano Pochini wrote:
> >>
> >> I bought a dual G4-MDD and I installed my SCSI disk I used on
> >> my G3. Is there an osx command to get the openfirmware path of
> >> the yaboot partition on that disc ?  I tried to boot
> >> /pci@f2000000/ADPT,29160@12/@4:9,ofboot.b but it doesn't work.
> >> Macosx mounts the HFS partitions on the old disc, but it doesn't
> >> show any of them on the startup disk utility (does it need to be
> >> blessed again ?).
> >
> > the yaboot bootstrap partition should be type Apple_Bootstrap and thus
> > never mounted by any macos, if this is the case there is no need to
> > rebless it since macos never tampered with it.
>
> IIRC it's Apple_Bootstrap, but first of all I must know the correct
> ofpath... I also tried to boot the YDL2.3 cd without success :(

just walk the device tree in OF.

@ 2003-07-17  7:32       ` Giuliano Pochini
From: Giuliano Pochini @ 2003-07-17  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ethan Benson; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

>> > the yaboot bootstrap partition should be type Apple_Bootstrap and thus
>> > never mounted by any macos, if this is the case there is no need to
>> > rebless it since macos never tampered with it.
>>
>> IIRC it's Apple_Bootstrap, but first of all I must know the correct
>> ofpath... I also tried to boot the YDL2.3 cd without success :(
>
> just walk the device tree in OF.

Of course I did, but I was unsure because dev / ls shows a leaf "/disk".
Yesterday night I managed to get from osx the of path, and it's about
the same I wrote above. I mounted the boot partition in /xyz, then I
wrote in a root shell:

bless -folder9 /xyz -verbose -setOF

*obviously* it didn't work, but It printed the of path on the screen,
which I hope it's the right one. Any attempt to boot from of results in
a "can't OPEN: pci/......". Damn! Does it boot from anything different
than the osx dvd and its ide disc ??

Bye.

* Re: G4 mdd help request
@ 2003-07-17  7:39         ` Ethan Benson
From: Ethan Benson @ 2003-07-17  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 09:32:10AM +0200, Giuliano Pochini wrote:

> >> IIRC it's Apple_Bootstrap, but first of all I must know the correct
> >> ofpath... I also tried to boot the YDL2.3 cd without success :(
> >
> > just walk the device tree in OF.
>
> Of course I did, but I was unsure because dev / ls shows a leaf "/disk".
> Yesterday night I managed to get from osx the of path, and it's about
> the same I wrote above. I mounted the boot partition in /xyz, then I
> wrote in a root shell:
>
> bless -folder9 /xyz -verbose -setOF

NEVER mount bootstrap partitions in any macos, nor let macos ever
touch it.  no good will ever result.

--

@ 2003-07-17 10:48           ` Giuliano Pochini
From: Giuliano Pochini @ 2003-07-17 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ethan Benson; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

On 17-Jul-2003 Ethan Benson wrote:
>> Of course I did, but I was unsure because dev / ls shows a leaf "/disk".
>> Yesterday night I managed to get from osx the of path, and it's about
>> the same I wrote above. I mounted the boot partition in /xyz, then I
>> wrote in a root shell:
>>
>> bless -folder9 /xyz -verbose -setOF
>
> NEVER mount bootstrap partitions in any macos, nor let macos ever
> touch it.  no good will ever result.

Who cares ?  For sir G4mdd it was (is) not a bootable partition. What
damage can it do ?  It already doesn't boot.

Bye.

* Re: G4 mdd help request [solved]
@ 2003-07-19 11:37             ` Giuliano Pochini
       [not found]               ` <Pine.LNX.4.21.0307191918350.12735-100000@deepesh.india.tej asnetworks.com>
From: Giuliano Pochini @ 2003-07-19 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ethan Benson; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

It wasn't my fault. There is a bad interaction between the G4-MDD and the
Adaptec [23]9160 family. I quote here the relevant part from ask.adaptec.com
because it may be useful to someone else:

----
System will not boot to a drive attached to an Adaptec SCSI card on
QuickSilver G4s.

This information applies to the following product(s):

PowerDomain 29160, 29160N, 39160 PCI SCSI Card

To work around this issue print out the instructions that are below and
follow them exactly:

1) Reboot, holding down command-option-O-F all at the same time at startup.
This will bring up a white screen starting with "Open Firmware" and ending
with a "0 >" prompt.

2 When the Open Firmware prompt appears, type the following: (Note that the
spaces between quotes are important and the instructions are case sensitive)

setenv fcode-debug? true

3) At the "0 >" prompt type the following and then press the return key

printenv

4) Verify the following line exists in the output, generally 4 to 6 lines down

fcode-debug? true false

5) At the "0 >" prompt type the following and then press the return key

mac-boot

6) Once the system is up, select appropriate drive (using Startup Disk in
the Control Panels folder under Mac OS 9 or in Startup Disk in System
Preferences under Mac OS X) and reboot.
----

--
Bye.
   Giuliano.

* Question regarding UBOOT.
@ 2003-07-19 13:58               ` deepesh
       [not found]               ` <Pine.LNX.4.21.0307191918350.12735-100000@deepesh.india.tej asnetworks.com>
From: deepesh @ 2003-07-19 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: deepesh; +Cc: Ethan Benson, linuxppc-dev

Hi,

 I have an EP8260 board. I have the u-boot binary. The board comes with a
boot loader(PlanetCore). I want to load u-boot into RAM and then start
executing from there. Is this possible? I tried doing this, but the board
goes for a reset.

 CAN I START UBOOT AS AN APPLICATION FROM PLANETCORE BOOTLOADER? that is
it possible to start one bootloader from another one?

deepesh

* Re: Question regarding UBOOT.
       [not found]               ` <Pine.LNX.4.21.0307191918350.12735-100000@deepesh.india.tej asnetworks.com>
@ 2003-07-19 14:19                 ` Jerry Van Baren
From: Jerry Van Baren @ 2003-07-19 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: deepesh, deepesh; +Cc: Ethan Benson, linuxppc-dev

This is a FAQ.  Yes it is possible, but you have to know EXACTLY what you
are doing to make it work.  The primary problem is memory mapping and SDRAM
initialization: you CANNOT do them while running out of RAM because it will
cause your program to "disappear".  Most people find it much easier to
program U-Boot into flash.

gvb

@ 2003-07-19 16:29                 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2003-07-19 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: deepesh; +Cc: Ethan Benson, linuxppc-dev

In message <Pine.LNX.4.21.0307191918350.12735-100000@deepesh.india.tejasnetworks.com> you wrote:

>  I have an EP8260 board. I have the u-boot binary. The board comes with a
> boot loader(PlanetCore). I want to load u-boot into RAM and then start
> executing from there. Is this possible? I tried doing this, but the board
> goes for a reset.

If the bianry is all you have then the answer is no, it cannot be done.

If you knoiw exactly what you're doing  you  can  modify  the  U-Boot
source  code  to  behave  like  you  want  - but then you have to ask
yourself _why_ you would want to do that.

My $ 0.02: Install U-Boot. Forget the other bootloader.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd@denx.de
If there are self-made purgatories, then we all have to live in them.
	-- Spock, "This Side of Paradise", stardate 3417.7