* SIS7012 works but get's frozen
@ 2003-07-18 22:47 P.I.Julius
From: P.I.Julius @ 2003-07-18 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi all ALSA developers

I have a sis7012 sound card with my new laptop SonyVaio PCG-GRT100 but
the sound is not working. I tried out with the kernel i810_audio modul,
with the OpenSounSystem, and with the alsa too, but with every driver my
sound card is not working. The modules are loaded, and i can change the
volume with aumix, but if i try to play a sound file, just the first
second gets played, and then my box gets frozen.

Please help, i really want to hear more then 1 second from a mp3 file :)
Thanks a lot
Julius

--
:: solutions-i.org :: | your imagination + our solutions

* SIS7012 works but get's frozen
@ 2003-07-18 23:37 P.I.Julius
From: P.I.Julius @ 2003-07-18 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi kernel hackers

I have a sis7012 sound card with my new laptop SonyVaio PCG-GRT100 but
the sound is not working. I tried out with the kernel i810_audio modul,
with the OpenSounSystem, and with the alsa too, but with every driver my
sound card is not working. The modules are loaded, and i can change the
volume with aumix, but if i try to play a sound file, just the first
second gets played, and then my box gets frozen.

Please help, i really want to hear more then 1 second from a mp3 file :)
Thanks a lot
Julius

--
:: solutions-i.org :: | your imagination + our solutions

[parent not found: <BAY2-F34S5C74a24LnK000028d9@hotmail.com>]
* Re: SIS7012 works but get's frozen
@ 2003-07-23  1:55 Lisandro Pin
From: Lisandro Pin @ 2003-07-23  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

>From: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>
>To: "Lisandro Pin" <lisandro@hotmail.com>
>CC: alsa-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
>Subject: Re: [Alsa-devel] SIS7012 works but get's frozen
>Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 18:47:25 +0200

> > >trying
>It's
> > >an
>i'm
> > >not
>directly
>(or
> > >any
>is
> > >that
> > >
> > >could you elaborate the status "freeze"?
> > >does machine still respond?  or a kernel panic?
> > >if it's a kernel oops, please trace it via ksymoops program.
> >
> >   No, just the program. aplay segfaults at about half the clip and XMMS
> > simply halts and needs to be killed (again, no error message). The
>machine
> > keeps on going but ALSA is mute until the "offending" program ends.
>
>hmm, segfaults is evil.  can you get aplay in gdb running?
>you might need to set LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libasound.so.2 to load the
>plugins before starting gdb.

(gdb) run ~/newmail.wav
The program being debugged has been started already.
Start it from the beginning? (y or n) y

Starting program: /usr/bin/aplay ~/newmail.wav
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...[New Thread
16384 (LWP 30679)]

Playing WAVE '/home/lys/newmail.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate
44100 Hz, Mono
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
[Switching to Thread 16384 (LWP 30679)]
0x4fb68445 in snd_pcm_route_convert1_one () from /usr/lib/libasound.so.2

   Pretty useless. Could you give me some indications on how to do a quick
make of aplay with the symbols table loaded?

> > >SIS7012/snd-intel8x0
>thing
> > >
> > >check which ac97 chip is found.  if it's a CMI chip, there is no PCM
> > >volume control indeed.
> >
> >   Nup, a SiS one.
>
>really?  please show /proc/asound/card0/ac97#0 and
>/proc/asound/card0/ac97#0regs ?

  "0-0/0: C-Media Electronics CMI9738". You were right; it lists as
"SiS7012" in /proc/pci. My bad!

  Lys.