* [ath9k-devel] Linksys WPC300N Wireless-N Notebook Adapter
@ 2009-05-26 16:33 hong zhang
From: hong zhang @ 2009-05-26 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

I tried WPC300nv1 in my laptop and shows "16:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43XG (rev 01)".

V1 is on North American market.
V2 (Atheros based) is for Eroupean market.

My linux laptop could not detect WPC300Nv1.

From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2009-05-26 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 09:33:58AM -0700, hong zhang wrote:

> I tried WPC300nv1 in my laptop and shows "16:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43XG (rev 01)".

If its Broadcom, good luck. Unfortunately vendors do not distinguish
which wireless chipset is on their products and sometimes they change
this. A few years ago I even saw one vendor keep the same PCI vendor:device
ID for two separate devices....

For wireless devices the best is to check and follow the FCC ID. Feel free
to add the right one here:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k

It may help other users.

  Luis

* [ath9k-devel] Linksys WPC300N Wireless-N Notebook Adapter
@ 2009-05-26 16:22 ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2009-05-26 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

@ 2009-05-23  7:16 hong zhang
From: hong zhang @ 2009-05-23  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Luis,

I mail order an WPC300N v1 not v2. Is it supported by ath9k?
Vendor does not mention version and I assume it is v2.
I saw people compalained WPC300Nv1 was not linux compatible.
None of vendors mentions WPC300N version on web.
Is it true?

---henry

* [ath9k-devel] Linksys WPC300N Wireless-N Notebook Adapter
@ 2009-05-18 20:05 ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2009-05-18 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 12:35:13PM -0700, hong zhang wrote:

> [...]

That's seems reasoanble, patches are welcomed.

  Luis

@ 2009-05-18 19:35 hong zhang
From: hong zhang @ 2009-05-18 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

@ 2009-05-18 17:49     ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2009-05-18 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Johannes Berg
<johannes@sipsolutions.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 10:33 -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>
>> defined properly. If there is some enhancement to this reporting which
>> you can think of please feel free to address this on linux-wireless
>> with your recommendation. The next best thing we have to report
>> signal would be through using the RCPI concept [1], but note that it
>> specifically defines it as "the received RF power in the channel measured
>> over the entire received frame or by other equivalent means which meet the
>> specified accuracy". The last part is a little vague, that of
>> "or by other equivalent means which meet the specified accuracy" and
>> its questionable whether or not all devices support this. Anyway
>> this could just be used by userspace and nl80211 should not have to know
>> about this except maybe whether or not the device claims to support
>> this accuracy terminology, I am also not sure what the status of 802.11k
>> is which the group working on this, so it may be premature to just add
>> it to nl80211/cfg80211.
>
> I think that's a red herring -- dBm display should be good enough or
> better than rcpi?

Yeah I think for now its more than enough. Since we are reporting dBm
userspace could just parse this in terms of RCPI if it wanted to. RCPI
seems to require an actual accuracy and I don't think any vendor is
adhering to it yet.

>> Patches are welcomed to add tx power displaying, not sure why we didn't
>> add that.
>
> I don't think TX power is per station?

Oh true. Except unless the user users something like radiotap to
inject desired tx power for each station.

> We currently display max tx power
> per channel -- which is also what we use if iwconfig (wext) is set to
> auto and we don't have 11h info. But I'm not sure in what form we should
> display this since it changes per channel etc.

Fine by me. I suspect packet injection with radiotap and reporting the
last used tx power for a station would be used mostly by experimenters
and for that case a patch is welcomed but we'd then need to add this
to the station struct in mac80211 and keep track of it and export it.
Not sure if its worth it.

  Luis

* [ath9k-devel] Linksys WPC300N Wireless-N Notebook Adapter
@ 2009-05-18 17:43   ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2009-05-18 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 10:33 -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> defined properly. If there is some enhancement to this reporting which
> you can think of please feel free to address this on linux-wireless
> with your recommendation. The next best thing we have to report
> signal would be through using the RCPI concept [1], but note that it
> specifically defines it as "the received RF power in the channel measured
> over the entire received frame or by other equivalent means which meet the
> specified accuracy". The last part is a little vague, that of
> "or by other equivalent means which meet the specified accuracy" and
> its questionable whether or not all devices support this. Anyway
> this could just be used by userspace and nl80211 should not have to know
> about this except maybe whether or not the device claims to support
> this accuracy terminology, I am also not sure what the status of 802.11k
> is which the group working on this, so it may be premature to just add
> it to nl80211/cfg80211.

I think that's a red herring -- dBm display should be good enough or
better than rcpi?

> Patches are welcomed to add tx power displaying, not sure why we didn't
> add that.

I don't think TX power is per station? We currently display max tx power
per channel -- which is also what we use if iwconfig (wext) is set to
auto and we don't have 11h info. But I'm not sure in what form we should
display this since it changes per channel etc.

johannes

* [ath9k-devel] Linksys WPC300N Wireless-N Notebook Adapter
@ 2009-05-18 17:33 ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2009-05-18 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

@ 2009-05-18 16:36 hong zhang
From: hong zhang @ 2009-05-18 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Luis,

1. Does ath9k Tx/Rx buffer packets for power save purpose?
2. Do TX power and signal level display go same path to mac80211
   through rate control interface? I think iw dev wlan0 station should

@ 2009-05-18 15:41 ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2009-05-18 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

@ 2009-05-17  5:51 hong zhang

From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2009-05-17  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

@ 2009-05-17  3:10 hong zhang
From: hong zhang @ 2009-05-17  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

List,

I just bought a Linksys WPC300N Wireless-N Notebook Adapter.

1. How many anntanas does this card  have?
2. Should TCP throughput from AP to this card and this card to AP be same
   if I use iperf to measure TCP throughput?

Thanks for help!

--henry