* V4L-DVB Summit Day 3
@ 2009-09-26  6:22 Hans Verkuil
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2009-09-26  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hi all,

Well, that was another very successful day here in Portland.

I started off presenting the work we did in the past year and our plans for
the next year during the BoF this morning. It was quite a big crowd and the
talk was well received.

The presentation is available from my website:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~hverkuil/lpc/bof.odp

The nice thing was that this presentation was hot off the press as it
presented all the things we discussed in the two preceding days of the summit.

Two additional presentations from Samsung regarding their SoCs and their
implementation of a memory pool-like API are also available from my website:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~hverkuil/lpc/Samsung_SoCs.ppt
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hverkuil/lpc/Unified_media_buffers.pdf

Unfortunately I couldn't attend the presentation from Hans de Goede and
Brandon Philips, so I can't comment on that. It would be great if someone can
post a report of that presentation (and links to the presentation itself, if
possible).

During the afternoon we worked on assigning people to the various tasks that
need to be done.

I made the following list:

This is a temporary mailinglist where we can post and review patches during
prototyping of the mc API. We don't want to flood the linux-media list with
those patches since that is already quite high-volume.

The mailinglist should be active, although I couldn't find it yet from
www.googlegroups.com. I'm not sure if it hasn't shown up yet, or if I did
something wrong.

- implement sensor v4l2_subdev support (Laurent). We are still missing some
v4l2_subdev sensor ops for setting up the bus config and data format. Laurent
will look into implementing those. An RFC for the bus config already exists
and will function as the basis of this.

- when done, remove the v4l2-int-device API (Nokia, target 2.6.33). It's
important to finally remove this non-standard API. When we can setup sensors
properly using subdevs, then Nokia can convert the final two users of this API
to v4l2_subdev.

- subdev migration omap3:
        - ISP (Laurent)
        - video decoder (Vaibhav)
        - display (Vaibhav)

These are the initial test implementations for the media controller:
converting the various parts of the omap3 driver to subdevs and see how these
can be controller via the mc.

- subdev migration Moorestown (Intel):
        - sensors
        - LED driver
        - video decoder/encoder
        - more...

Intel will do something similar for their Moorestown platform.

- Samsung: investigate V4L2 API and mc concept.

Samsung needs to investigate the V4L2 API and the mc proposal first before
they can commit to anything.

- HDTV timings API (Murali, 2.6.33). This is an important API that we should
be able to get into 2.6.33.

- Event handling API (RFC: Laurent, code: Guru Raj, 2.6.33). Ditto. Laurent
will update the RFC, Guru Raj from Intel will write the code for it (Laurent
already has a lot on his plate).

- Memory pool API (Laurent, Vaibhav). Laurent and Vaibhav will do the research
needed for this API.

- Control framework (Hans). In November I hope to finish the control
framework.

- Media Controller testbed: create device nodes for subdevs and cleanup (Hans)
  (http://www.linuxtv.org/hg/~hverkuil/v4l-dvb-mc). My tree needs updating to
reflect the discussions during this summit. I hope to do this in two weeks
from now. It will create a decent starting point for the various mc
prototyping efforts.

- Associating alsa and video (esp. USB) (Devin). Devin will do more research
on how to associate alsa and video nodes. In particular for USB webcam
devices.

- Research a new ioctl that just enums device nodes to get audio/video
association solved quickly. Will be subset of v4l2_mc_entity struct. (Devin).
Devin raised the valid concern that it will probably take many months before
the mc and all related ioctls will be implemented. But there is a very urgent
need for applications to be able to find related alsa/video nodes. A possible
approach is to create an ioctl for the mc that basically will just enumerate
device nodes and will give a subset of what the final entity enumeration ioctl
will return. Just enough to let applications use it to figure out these
alsa/vbi/video relationships. Devin will do more research into this.

- Userspace libraries for the SoCs (TBD). Not discussed yet is how to create
the userspace libraries that contain the SoC specific code: should they
conform to certain requirements? Or is it free-for-all? Should we have a
central repository for these libraries? It is to early to tell.

We also listed the criteria when to decide that the mc API is ready for
submission to the v4l-dvb repository:

- Implemented in UVC
- Implemented in ivtv
- Without modifying bttv the code framework should setup workable entities by
default.
- Implemented in omap3 together with a test userspace library.

These three days clearly showed that there is a lot of interest from SoC
companies into the mc concept. The interest in these sessions was frankly
overwhelming.

I would like to thank the Linux Foundation for organizing the LPC and
arranging for a room for all three days where we could hold our summit
meetings.

I would also like to thank (in no particular order) Mike Krufky, Steven Toth,
Andy Walls, Brandon Philips, Hans de Goede and Devin Heitmueller as
independent v4l-dvb developers. Also Sakari Ailus and Laurent Pinchart
representing Nokia and Vaibhav Hiremath, Sergio Alberto Aguirre Rodriguez,
Murali Karicheri and Lajos Molnar from Texas Instruments. And also Marek
Szyprowski, Tomasz Fujak and Jin-Sung Yang from Samsung. And finally from
Intel I would like to thank Guru Raj and Xiaolin Zhang.

My apologies if I missed someone, but I think I got all the main players
participating in these discussions listed.

I hope that in August 2010 during the next LPC in Boston I can proudly present
the results of this summit. It will be great if we can get all this stuff in
by that time.

Starting tomorrow I'm off on a one-week vacation in Canada, and I'll try to
make at least part of that week internet-free, so don't expect to hear much
from me until I'm back in Oslo 10 days from now.

Oh, and if you're ever in Portland then I can really recommend restaurant
'Veritable Quandary'. The name may be a bit weird, but the food was great!

Regards,

	Hans

* Re: V4L-DVB Summit Day 3
@ 2009-09-26 12:25 ` Guennadi Liakhovetski
From: Guennadi Liakhovetski @ 2009-09-26 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> - implement sensor v4l2_subdev support (Laurent). We are still missing some
> v4l2_subdev sensor ops for setting up the bus config and data format. Laurent
> will look into implementing those. An RFC for the bus config already exists
> and will function as the basis of this.

Good, obviously, I'm veryinterested in both these APIs, and I hope Laurent
will have a look at my earlier imagebus proposal and use that API as a
basis for the data format API. My RFC, probably, didn't cover all possible
cases, but it should be a reasonable starting point with easy enough
extensibility. I did get a couple of positive feedbacks regarding that
API, and I have converted the whole soc-camera stack to it and am working
on some new drivers with that API. So far I didn't have a single case
where I would have to amend or extend it.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.
http://www.open-technology.de/

* Re: V4L-DVB Summit Day 3
@ 2009-09-27 11:51 ` Dongsoo, Nathaniel Kim
From: Dongsoo, Nathaniel Kim @ 2009-09-27 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil; +Cc: linux-media

Hi Hans,

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Well, that was another very successful day here in Portland.
>
> I started off presenting the work we did in the past year and our plans for
> the next year during the BoF this morning. It was quite a big crowd and the
> talk was well received.
>
> The presentation is available from my website:
>
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~hverkuil/lpc/bof.odp
>
> The nice thing was that this presentation was hot off the press as it
> presented all the things we discussed in the two preceding days of the summit.
>
> Two additional presentations from Samsung regarding their SoCs and their
> implementation of a memory pool-like API are also available from my website:
>
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~hverkuil/lpc/Samsung_SoCs.ppt
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~hverkuil/lpc/Unified_media_buffers.pdf
>
> Unfortunately I couldn't attend the presentation from Hans de Goede and
> Brandon Philips, so I can't comment on that. It would be great if someone can
> post a report of that presentation (and links to the presentation itself, if
> possible).
>
> During the afternoon we worked on assigning people to the various tasks that
> need to be done.
>
> I made the following list:

> This is a temporary mailinglist where we can post and review patches during
> prototyping of the mc API. We don't want to flood the linux-media list with
> those patches since that is already quite high-volume.
>
> The mailinglist should be active, although I couldn't find it yet from
> www.googlegroups.com. I'm not sure if it hasn't shown up yet, or if I did
> something wrong.
>
> - implement sensor v4l2_subdev support (Laurent). We are still missing some
> v4l2_subdev sensor ops for setting up the bus config and data format. Laurent
> will look into implementing those. An RFC for the bus config already exists
> and will function as the basis of this.
>
> - when done, remove the v4l2-int-device API (Nokia, target 2.6.33). It's
> important to finally remove this non-standard API. When we can setup sensors
> properly using subdevs, then Nokia can convert the final two users of this API
> to v4l2_subdev.
>
> - subdev migration omap3:
>        - ISP (Laurent)
>        - video decoder (Vaibhav)
>        - display (Vaibhav)
>
> These are the initial test implementations for the media controller:
> converting the various parts of the omap3 driver to subdevs and see how these
> can be controller via the mc.
>
> - subdev migration Moorestown (Intel):
>        - sensors
>        - LED driver
>        - video decoder/encoder
>        - more...
>
> Intel will do something similar for their Moorestown platform.
>
> - Samsung: investigate V4L2 API and mc concept.
>
> Samsung needs to investigate the V4L2 API and the mc proposal first before
> they can commit to anything.

BTW I just forgot to ask Marek and Tomasz to ask you guys at
mini-summit about can the HDMI device fit into the v4l2 framework.
Because as far as my investigation, I found HDMI interface driver from
Intel not in the v4l2 drivers but in gpu drivers and totally doesn't
seem to be a v4l2 one at all.

As you already know, the new arm based SoC from Samsung has HDMI
interface and I'm very curious about which approach is better one
between v4l2 approach and framebuffer approach. Because that HDMI
interface has a mixer feature just like an overlay feature in
framebuffer devices. It will be nice if someone points me the right
way :)

According to your mail, I suppose that this conference was a
magnificent and important turning point for v4l2. I wished I could
attend the conference but trillions of works were stuck in my queue
:'(
Cheers,

Nate

--
=
DongSoo, Nathaniel Kim

* Re: V4L-DVB Summit Day 3
@ 2009-09-28 22:16   ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2009-09-28 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Guennadi,

On Saturday 26 September 2009 14:25:07 Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Sep 2009, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > - implement sensor v4l2_subdev support (Laurent). We are still missing
> > some v4l2_subdev sensor ops for setting up the bus config and data
> > format. Laurent will look into implementing those. An RFC for the bus
> > config already exists and will function as the basis of this.

I volunteered to port the sensor drivers we use with the OMAP3 to v4l2_subdev,
implementing the missing operations/helpers/whatever on the way, but it
somehow escaped my mind at the time that it included the bus config and data
format operations :-)

> Good, obviously, I'm veryinterested in both these APIs, and I hope Laurent
> will have a look at my earlier imagebus proposal and use that API as a
> basis for the data format API. My RFC, probably, didn't cover all possible
> cases, but it should be a reasonable starting point with easy enough
> extensibility. I did get a couple of positive feedbacks regarding that
> API, and I have converted the whole soc-camera stack to it and am working
> on some new drivers with that API. So far I didn't have a single case
> where I would have to amend or extend it.

Your RFC will be used as a starting point (actually more than a starting
point, as there has been lots of discussions around it already). My plan is to
reuse what's available in RFCs as-is, port the drivers, see how everything
shatters to pieces (hopefully it won't :-)), and post RFCs to fix the problems
if required. You will of course be included in the discussion.

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: [Bulk] V4L-DVB Summit Day 3
@ 2009-10-02 17:56 ` CityK
From: CityK @ 2009-10-02 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil; +Cc: linux-media

Hans Verkuil wrote:
> I made the following list:

> This is a temporary mailinglist where we can post and review patches during
> prototyping of the mc API. We don't want to flood the linux-media list with
> those patches since that is already quite high-volume.
>
> The mailinglist should be active, although I couldn't find it yet from
> www.googlegroups.com. I'm not sure if it hasn't shown up yet, or if I did
> something wrong.

I'm scratching my head on this one.  Seems the last thing that is needed
is YET another mailing list.  Further, it
- fractures the development community.
- persons unaware of the decision, and whom might be interested, would
never find it . i.e. alienation
- disinterested parties can simply hit the delete key and not bother
with the message
- blah blah blah ..

PS.  In regards to yesterday's business announcements, I hope your new
forthcoming overlords are as kind to you as your last

* Re: [Bulk] V4L-DVB Summit Day 3
@ 2009-10-02 20:40   ` Markus Rechberger
From: Markus Rechberger @ 2009-10-02 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CityK; +Cc: Hans Verkuil, linux-media

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 7:56 PM, CityK <cityk@rogers.com> wrote:
> Hans Verkuil wrote:
>> I made the following list:

>> This is a temporary mailinglist where we can post and review patches during
>> prototyping of the mc API. We don't want to flood the linux-media list with
>> those patches since that is already quite high-volume.
>>
>> The mailinglist should be active, although I couldn't find it yet from
>> www.googlegroups.com. I'm not sure if it hasn't shown up yet, or if I did
>> something wrong.
>>

> I'm scratching my head on this one.  Seems the last thing that is needed
> is YET another mailing list.  Further, it
> - fractures the development community.

this is what I think too. I'm mainly interested in keeping up
compatibility with that framework
The traffic on this mailinglist is rather small and it should be ok to
mix up developer mails
with a few support mails (whereas people usually use to CC anyone who
might be involved anyway).

> - persons unaware of the decision, and whom might be interested, would
> never find it . i.e. alienation

if you try to send an email as adviced to that googlemail mailinglist
you'll just get an email back that it doesn't work :-)

nothing else to write about it I totally agree.

One question I have though, what is the impact to the existing API,
will they start to require that MC interface?
TI hardware is rather specialized and most other devices will not need
any of those changes, I don't see the benefit
of bloating up the API for devices which already work fine, for simple
devices it should better remain simple.
(This question is mainly because we also maintain our own player which
supports the v4l2/dvbV(3/5) API, but the
driver should still support legacy applications in the future)

Best Regards,
Markus