* [U-Boot] Bottleneck of NAND copy speed
@ 2011-09-12 11:21 Simon Schwarz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Simon Schwarz @ 2011-09-12 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi List,

ATM I'm working on a DMA transfer from NAND to RAM of the Linux-image in
my SPL.

I?m searching for the speed bottleneck of the MT29F1G16ABBHC-ET
NAND-Flash on the devkit8000 (OMAP3).

 From the timings I set on the GPMC I calced a max. speed of around 26
MiB/s. In my measurements I have a speed of around 10 MiB/s.

Here is the image of my the calculation:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_wpO5K0MQSlYTcxMWVlOGEtY2FmYy00ODMyLWE1MTUtN2ZiZGViOWVhMzYw&hl=en_US

tcmd: The time for the initial read command
twr: time to write the address
tDn: Time for a 16bit read of Data

Does anyone has an idea where the bottleneck could be? Is my calculation
wrong?
(ecc is done parallel to the DMA transfer).

Regards
Simon

* [U-Boot] Bottleneck of NAND copy speed
@ 2011-09-12 11:43 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2011-09-12 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Simon Schwarz,

In message <4E6DEB26.4020409@gmail.com> you wrote:

> ATM I'm working on a DMA transfer from NAND to RAM of the Linux-image in
> my SPL.
> Does anyone has an idea where the bottleneck could be? Is my calculation
> wrong?

Caches still turned off?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Anyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic  means
is, of course, living in a state of sin."          - John Von Neumann

* [U-Boot] Bottleneck of NAND copy speed
@ 2011-09-12 12:55 ` Nick Thompson
From: Nick Thompson @ 2011-09-12 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 12/09/11 12:21, Simon Schwarz wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> ATM I'm working on a DMA transfer from NAND to RAM of the Linux-image in
> my SPL.
>
> I?m searching for the speed bottleneck of the MT29F1G16ABBHC-ET
> NAND-Flash on the devkit8000 (OMAP3).
>
>  From the timings I set on the GPMC I calced a max. speed of around 26
> MiB/s. In my measurements I have a speed of around 10 MiB/s.
>
> Here is the image of my the calculation:
> https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_wpO5K0MQSlYTcxMWVlOGEtY2FmYy00ODMyLWE1MTUtN2ZiZGViOWVhMzYw&hl=en_US
>
> tcmd: The time for the initial read command
> twr: time to write the address
> tDn: Time for a 16bit read of Data
>
> Does anyone has an idea where the bottleneck could be? Is my calculation
> wrong?
> (ecc is done parallel to the DMA transfer).

I only had a quick look at your calculation, but didn't notice anything to account
for the NAND copy to read cache (data ready) time of the NAND device.

Nick.

* [U-Boot] Bottleneck of NAND copy speed
@ 2011-09-13 13:13   ` Simon Schwarz
From: Simon Schwarz @ 2011-09-13 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Wolfgang,

caches are on.

Regards
Simon

@ 2011-09-13 13:18   ` Simon Schwarz
From: Simon Schwarz @ 2011-09-13 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 09/12/2011 02:55 PM, Nick Thompson wrote:
> On 12/09/11 12:21, Simon Schwarz wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> ATM I'm working on a DMA transfer from NAND to RAM of the Linux-image in
>> my SPL.
>>
>> I?m searching for the speed bottleneck of the MT29F1G16ABBHC-ET
>> NAND-Flash on the devkit8000 (OMAP3).
>>
>>   From the timings I set on the GPMC I calced a max. speed of around 26
>> MiB/s. In my measurements I have a speed of around 10 MiB/s.
>>
>> Here is the image of my the calculation:
>> https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_wpO5K0MQSlYTcxMWVlOGEtY2FmYy00ODMyLWE1MTUtN2ZiZGViOWVhMzYw&hl=en_US
>>
>> tcmd: The time for the initial read command
>> twr: time to write the address
>> tDn: Time for a 16bit read of Data
>>
>> Does anyone has an idea where the bottleneck could be? Is my calculation
>> wrong?
>> (ecc is done parallel to the DMA transfer).
>
> I only had a quick look at your calculation, but didn't notice anything to account
> for the NAND copy to read cache (data ready) time of the NAND device.
>
> Nick.

Ahh you mean t_R (Page read time) right?

Taking this into account I would expect something around 19,45 MiB/s.

Thank you!
Simon

* [U-Boot] Bottleneck of NAND copy speed
@ 2011-09-13 19:53 ` Scott Wood
From: Scott Wood @ 2011-09-13 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 09/12/2011 06:21 AM, Simon Schwarz wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> ATM I'm working on a DMA transfer from NAND to RAM of the Linux-image in
> my SPL.
>
> I?m searching for the speed bottleneck of the MT29F1G16ABBHC-ET
> NAND-Flash on the devkit8000 (OMAP3).
>
>  From the timings I set on the GPMC I calced a max. speed of around 26
> MiB/s. In my measurements I have a speed of around 10 MiB/s.
>
> Here is the image of my the calculation:
> https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_wpO5K0MQSlYTcxMWVlOGEtY2FmYy00ODMyLWE1MTUtN2ZiZGViOWVhMzYw&hl=en_US
>
> tcmd: The time for the initial read command
> twr: time to write the address
> tDn: Time for a 16bit read of Data
>
> Does anyone has an idea where the bottleneck could be? Is my calculation
> wrong?
> (ecc is done parallel to the DMA transfer).

Have you measured how much time is taken in software between each
operation -- time when the NAND chip is idle and software is either
processing the results of the last transaction or preparing for the next
one?

-Scott