From: Michael Turquette <mturquette@baylibre.com>
To: Tero Kristo <t-kristo@ti.com>, "Tony Lindgren" <tony@atomide.com>,
	"Russell King - ARM Linux" <linux@arm.linux.org.uk>
Cc: "Geert Uytterhoeven" <geert@linux-m68k.org>,
	"Stephen Boyd" <sboyd@codeaurora.org>,
	"linux-omap@vger.kernel.org" <linux-omap@vger.kernel.org>,
	"linux-clk" <linux-clk@vger.kernel.org>,
	"linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org"
	<linux-arm-kernel@lists.infradead.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC 6/9] clk: ti: add support for omap4 module clocks
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 17:23:00 -0800	[thread overview]

Quoting Tero Kristo (2016-01-04 11:15:36)
> On 01/04/2016 06:37 PM, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> > * Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@arm.linux.org.uk> [160104 06:43]:

> >> Was that profiling done with lockdep/lock debugging enabled or disable=
d?
> =

> omap2plus_defconfig, so lockdep was enabled. The profiling was done =

> around the while {} block though, which should not have any locks within =

> it (except for the SCM clocks, which may explain some of the higher =

> latency numbers seen.)
> =

> > And also the thing to check from the hw folks is what all do these clkc=
trl
> > bits really control. If they group together the OCP clock and an extra
> > functional clock for some devices the delays could be larger.
> =

> Does it matter really? The latencies are only imposed to the device in =

> question, and lets face it, the same latencies are there already with =

> the hwmod implementation. This series moves the implementation under =

> clock driver with as less modifications as possible to avoid any problems.

So long as we can all convince ourselves that the flaw is not a flaw
then I'm OK with it. No bugs were ever introduced that way ;-)

But in fairness, we've had these delays in the .enable callbacks for a
while, so this patch does not introduce the regression. Furthermore it
does clean up some code that needs more work, and I don't want to delay
that.

I won't NACK the patch due to the delays, but it would be nice to
revisit it some day.

Regards,
Mike

From: Michael Turquette <mturquette@baylibre.com>