* [meta-raspberry] Raspberry Pi 3
@ 2016-03-18  9:15 David Weisgerber
From: David Weisgerber @ 2016-03-18  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto list discussion

Hi,
did anyone succeed in building an image that runs on Raspberry Pi 3? I set my
conf/local.conf to

MACHINE ??= "raspberrypi3"
GPU_MEM = "128"
DISABLE_OVERSCAN = "1"

and built rpi-basic-image but when booting the Pi 3 up I only see 4
raspberries in the top right but nothing else happens. The image works
perfectly on a Pi 2 though.

Thanks for help,
David

* Re: [meta-raspberry] Raspberry Pi 3
@ 2016-03-31 15:26 ` Trevor Woerner
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2016-03-31 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Weisgerber; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

On Fri 2016-03-18 @ 10:15:39 AM, David Weisgerber wrote:
> Hi,
> did anyone succeed in building an image that runs on Raspberry Pi 3? I set my
> conf/local.conf to
>
> MACHINE ??= "raspberrypi3"
> GPU_MEM = "128"
> DISABLE_OVERSCAN = "1"
>
> and built rpi-basic-image but when booting the Pi 3 up I only see 4
> raspberries in the top right but nothing else happens. The image works
> perfectly on a Pi 2 though.

I'm able to get a raspi3 image running on my Raspberry Pi 3, but my console is
messed up. Everything works fine via the usb+hdmi ports, but plugging a
console cable into the GPIO header is messed up.

It looks like what happens when the baud rate is set incorrectly, but I've
tried every baud rate in my terminal emulator and it all looks the same
(messed up).

Anyone got their console working? The same cable/setup works fine on the
raspi2 (ttyAMA0) but doesn't work on my raspi3 (ttyS0).

* Re: [meta-raspberry] Raspberry Pi 3
@ 2016-03-31 15:29   ` Josep Puigdemont
From: Josep Puigdemont @ 2016-03-31 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 11:26:04AM -0400, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> On Fri 2016-03-18 @ 10:15:39 AM, David Weisgerber wrote:
> > Hi,
> > did anyone succeed in building an image that runs on Raspberry Pi 3? I set my
> > conf/local.conf to
> >
> > MACHINE ??= "raspberrypi3"
> > GPU_MEM = "128"
> > DISABLE_OVERSCAN = "1"
> >
> > and built rpi-basic-image but when booting the Pi 3 up I only see 4
> > raspberries in the top right but nothing else happens. The image works
> > perfectly on a Pi 2 though.
>
> I'm able to get a raspi3 image running on my Raspberry Pi 3, but my console is
> messed up. Everything works fine via the usb+hdmi ports, but plugging a
> console cable into the GPIO header is messed up.
>
> It looks like what happens when the baud rate is set incorrectly, but I've
> tried every baud rate in my terminal emulator and it all looks the same
> (messed up).
>
> Anyone got their console working? The same cable/setup works fine on the
> raspi2 (ttyAMA0) but doesn't work on my raspi3 (ttyS0).

I think you are seeing this problem:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/553

/Josep

* Re: [meta-raspberry] Raspberry Pi 3
@ 2016-03-31 16:36   ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-03-31 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

> On Mar 31, 2016, at 8:26 AM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri 2016-03-18 @ 10:15:39 AM, David Weisgerber wrote:
>> Hi,
>> did anyone succeed in building an image that runs on Raspberry Pi 3? I set my
>> conf/local.conf to
>>
>> MACHINE ??= "raspberrypi3"
>> GPU_MEM = "128"
>> DISABLE_OVERSCAN = "1"
>>
>> and built rpi-basic-image but when booting the Pi 3 up I only see 4
>> raspberries in the top right but nothing else happens. The image works
>> perfectly on a Pi 2 though.
>
> I'm able to get a raspi3 image running on my Raspberry Pi 3, but my console is
> messed up. Everything works fine via the usb+hdmi ports, but plugging a
> console cable into the GPIO header is messed up.
>
> It looks like what happens when the baud rate is set incorrectly, but I've
> tried every baud rate in my terminal emulator and it all looks the same
> (messed up).
>
> Anyone got their console working? The same cable/setup works fine on the
> raspi2 (ttyAMA0) but doesn't work on my raspi3 (ttyS0).

did you try

https://www.mail-archive.com/yocto@yoctoproject.org/msg28476.html

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: [meta-raspberry] Raspberry Pi 3
@ 2016-04-01 19:17     ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2016-04-01 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

On Thu 2016-03-31 @ 09:36:16 AM, Khem Raj wrote:

> > On Mar 31, 2016, at 8:26 AM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri 2016-03-18 @ 10:15:39 AM, David Weisgerber wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> did anyone succeed in building an image that runs on Raspberry Pi 3? I set my
> >> conf/local.conf to
> >>
> >> MACHINE ??= "raspberrypi3"
> >> GPU_MEM = "128"
> >> DISABLE_OVERSCAN = "1"
> >>
> >> and built rpi-basic-image but when booting the Pi 3 up I only see 4
> >> raspberries in the top right but nothing else happens. The image works
> >> perfectly on a Pi 2 though.
> >
> > I'm able to get a raspi3 image running on my Raspberry Pi 3, but my console is
> > messed up. Everything works fine via the usb+hdmi ports, but plugging a
> > console cable into the GPIO header is messed up.
> >
> > It looks like what happens when the baud rate is set incorrectly, but I've
> > tried every baud rate in my terminal emulator and it all looks the same
> > (messed up).
> >
> > Anyone got their console working? The same cable/setup works fine on the
> > raspi2 (ttyAMA0) but doesn't work on my raspi3 (ttyS0).
>
> did you try
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/yocto@yoctoproject.org/msg28476.html

As far as I can tell there are two raspberry pi OE layers which include this
commit:

1. git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-raspberrypi::master
2. https://github.com/kraj/meta-raspberrypi.git::kraj/master

Building two fresh, from-scratch Poky images using the latest up-to-date
sources for:

	meta-openembedded/meta-oe
	openembedded-core/meta
	meta-poky/meta-poky

and swapping in the two raspberrypi layers (one at a time) I get:

 - Using 1 (the official layer from Andrei) I get an image that boots but the
   console remains messed up (as before).

 - Using 2 (the layer from Khem) I get an image that flashes the rainbow
   pattern on the HDMI monitor, shows the 4 berries, then stops. Nothing else
   happens, no messages on the console.

In both cases I'm building core-image-full-cmdline, and the only tweak in
local.conf is:

	ENABLE_SPI_BUS = "1"

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the two raspberry pi layers
is the kernel. Andrei's uses 4.1 and Khem is using 4.4:

	$ git show-branch kraj/master origin/master
	* [kraj/master] userland: Fix tearing effect seen with wayland compositors
	 ! [origin/master] userland: Fix tearing effect seen with wayland compositors
	--
	 + [origin/master] userland: Fix tearing effect seen with wayland compositors
	 + [origin/master^] firmware: Update to 20160326

I'll try core-image-minimal and no SPI flag. Unless someone else has
better-sounding ideas?

Best regards,
	Trevor

* Re: [meta-raspberry] Raspberry Pi 3
@ 2016-04-01 22:46       ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2016-04-01 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

On Fri 2016-04-01 @ 03:17:29 PM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> As far as I can tell there are two raspberry pi OE layers which include this
> commit:
>
> 1. git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-raspberrypi::master
> 2. https://github.com/kraj/meta-raspberrypi.git::kraj/master
[...]
>  - Using 1 (the official layer from Andrei) I get an image that boots but the
>    console remains messed up (as before).
>
>  - Using 2 (the layer from Khem) I get an image that flashes the rainbow
>    pattern on the HDMI monitor, shows the 4 berries, then stops. Nothing else
>    happens, no messages on the console.

I get the same results with no local.conf tweaks and building the
rpi-basic-image.

Does anyone have a run-tested, OE-built, raspi3 image with working console?

Best regards,
	Trevor

* Re: [meta-raspberry] Raspberry Pi 3
@ 2016-04-01 22:55         ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-04-01 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

> On Apr 1, 2016, at 3:46 PM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri 2016-04-01 @ 03:17:29 PM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
>> As far as I can tell there are two raspberry pi OE layers which include this
>> commit:
>>
>> 1. git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-raspberrypi::master
>> 2. https://github.com/kraj/meta-raspberrypi.git::kraj/master
> [...]
>> - Using 1 (the official layer from Andrei) I get an image that boots but the
>>   console remains messed up (as before).
>>
>> - Using 2 (the layer from Khem) I get an image that flashes the rainbow
>>   pattern on the HDMI monitor, shows the 4 berries, then stops. Nothing else
>>   happens, no messages on the console.
>
> I get the same results with no local.conf tweaks and building the
> rpi-basic-image.
>
> Does anyone have a run-tested, OE-built, raspi3 image with working console?

can you select 4.1 for kernel and try with master, Andre has merged all my changes
today

@ 2016-04-02  4:03           ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2016-04-02  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

On Fri 2016-04-01 @ 03:55:31 PM, Khem Raj wrote:

> > On Apr 1, 2016, at 3:46 PM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri 2016-04-01 @ 03:17:29 PM, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> >> As far as I can tell there are two raspberry pi OE layers which include this
> >> commit:
> >>
> >> 1. git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-raspberrypi::master
> >> 2. https://github.com/kraj/meta-raspberrypi.git::kraj/master
> > [...]
> >> - Using 1 (the official layer from Andrei) I get an image that boots but the
> >>   console remains messed up (as before).
> >>
> >> - Using 2 (the layer from Khem) I get an image that flashes the rainbow
> >>   pattern on the HDMI monitor, shows the 4 berries, then stops. Nothing else
> >>   happens, no messages on the console.
> >
> > I get the same results with no local.conf tweaks and building the
> > rpi-basic-image.
> >
> > Does anyone have a run-tested, OE-built, raspi3 image with working console?
> >

> can you select 4.1 for kernel and try with master, Andre has merged all my changes
> today

Yes, that's one of the options I have already tried; it boots but the console
is still garbled.

The 4.1 kernel is the default in Andrei's layer. Using the 4.4 kernel from
your layer I can't get past the 4 raspberries.

* Re: [meta-raspberry] Raspberry Pi 3
@ 2016-04-02  4:56             ` Michael Dumont
From: Michael Dumont @ 2016-04-02  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

Trevor,

I know with the Pi3 they swapped ttyAMA0 to support Bluetooth.

They put ttyS0 on the 40-pin header, but the clock used for the baud rate
generation on ttyS0 is tied to the core frequency, and it can cause
fluctuations when the core frequency scales up and down.

I believe the official fix is to set core_freq=250 so that the core clock
is always at it's lowest value and never needs to change.  There's also a
dtoverlay that swaps the two UARTs back so you can get the stable UART on
the 40-pin header.

Not clear to me that this is your exact problem, but it might be worth a
quick test?

Some notes here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=138223

Hope this helps,

-Mike

@ 2016-04-02 14:49             ` Tom Doehring
From: Tom Doehring @ 2016-04-02 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Trevor Woerner <twoerner@...> writes:

> On Fri 2016-04-01  <at>  03:55:31 PM, Khem Raj wrote:

> > > [...]
Nothing else

> > > I get the same results with no local.conf tweaks and building the
> > > rpi-basic-image.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have a run-tested, OE-built, raspi3 image with working
console?

> > can you select 4.1 for kernel and try with master, Andre has merged all
my changes
> > today
>
> Yes, that's one of the options I have already tried; it boots but the console
> is still garbled.
>
> The 4.1 kernel is the default in Andrei's layer. Using the 4.4 kernel from
> your layer I can't get past the 4 raspberries.

Hi everyone,

this is nothing that depends on the kernel itself. There was a major change
in the /dev/ttyAMA0 in order to make use of the bluetooth module. There is
an overlay that allows using the console and the bluetooth module on
parallel (pi3-miniuart-bt) with a lower baudrate while useing hciattach. If
you don't want to use the bluetooth module you can switch back to the
console by using the pi3-disalble-bt overlay.

See also: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=138120&p=926637

* Re: [meta-raspberry] Raspberry Pi 3
@ 2016-04-04  1:38   ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2016-04-04  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto list discussion

Thanks to everyone for their help!! It looks like I've got something working,
not sure if this is a "solution" or if most would just consider it a
work-around:

1) use Andrei's meta-raspberrypi layer (which selects linux kernel 4.1 by
default)

2) add the following to your local.conf:

	SERIAL_CONSOLE_forcevariable = "115200 ttyS0"
	CORE_FREQ = "250"

3) ??

4) profit!!

I've tested with poky building both core-image-x11 and
core-image-full-cmdline.

Best regards,
	Trevor

* Re: [meta-raspberry] Raspberry Pi 3
@ 2016-04-04  2:29     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-04-04  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 6:38 PM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for their help!! It looks like I've got something working,
> not sure if this is a "solution" or if most would just consider it a
> work-around:
>
> 1) use Andrei's meta-raspberrypi layer (which selects linux kernel 4.1 by
> default)

thats good.

> 2) add the following to your local.conf:
>
>         SERIAL_CONSOLE_forcevariable = "115200 ttyS0"
>         CORE_FREQ = "250"

Send a patch to document this in README.

@ 2016-04-04 15:08       ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2016-04-04 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto list discussion

On Sun 2016-04-03 @ 07:29:59 PM, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 6:38 PM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks to everyone for their help!! It looks like I've got something working,
> > not sure if this is a "solution" or if most would just consider it a
> > work-around:
> >
> > 1) use Andrei's meta-raspberrypi layer (which selects linux kernel 4.1 by
> > default)
>
> thats good.

Here's some more details that will, hopefully, help others duplicate my
results:

	Build Configuration:
	BB_VERSION        = "1.29.1"
	BUILD_SYS         = "x86_64-linux"
	NATIVELSBSTRING   = "openSUSE-project-13.2"
	TARGET_SYS        = "arm-poky-linux-gnueabi"
	MACHINE           = "raspberrypi3"
	DISTRO            = "poky"
	DISTRO_VERSION    = "2.0+snapshot-20160404"
	TUNE_FEATURES     = "arm armv7ve vfp thumb neon vfpv4 callconvention-hard cortexa7"
	TARGET_FPU        = "hard"
	meta-raspberrypi  = "contrib/twoerner/raspi3:7037617fca920f6e26c2a6968fa1ec67f495035d"
	meta-poky
	meta              = "master:af5f423887d1c41cf7279f6e537077726ae13082"

	meta-raspberrypi
		git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-raspberrypi
		(branch based on master at 84af6e7de3b8ea64ab374028aa95dc3a288ae85c)

	meta-poky
		git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky

My bblayers just pulls in these two layers, my local.conf has no local tweaks,
and you need to apply the two patches I recently sent to the mailing list.

@ 2016-07-08 13:12 ` Andrei Gherzan
From: Andrei Gherzan @ 2016-07-08 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Weisgerber; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 10:15:39AM +0100, David Weisgerber wrote:
> Hi,
> did anyone succeed in building an image that runs on Raspberry Pi 3? I set my
> conf/local.conf to
>
> MACHINE ??= "raspberrypi3"
> GPU_MEM = "128"
> DISABLE_OVERSCAN = "1"
>
> and built rpi-basic-image but when booting the Pi 3 up I only see 4
> raspberries in the top right but nothing else happens. The image works
> perfectly on a Pi 2 though.
>
> Thanks for help,
> David

How do you check that the image is running or not?

PS: Please us the correct subject tag: meta-raspberrypi.

--
Andrei Gherzan

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [meta-raspberry] Raspberry Pi 3
@ 2016-07-08 14:15   ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-07-08 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrei Gherzan; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 6:12 AM, Andrei Gherzan <andrei@gherzan.ro> wrote:
>> MACHINE ??= "raspberrypi3"

can you change it to  MACHINE = "raspberrypi3"
and retry