* Hints on submitting to OE-Core
@ 2017-03-17 23:55 Daniel Dickinson
From: Daniel Dickinson @ 2017-03-17 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Hi all,

I've got a pre-alpha 'distro' and some layers I think that could get to
an interesting state.  The intent is to work them up to where they are
suitable to be submitted as patches to oe-core rather than the
current .bbappend and related files.

There's rather a lot of reading (which is good in the sense that I like
actually have documentation, although that's definitely an area I need
to improve on for the layers I've got in the works), and I haven't
nearly got through it all yet, but I was hoping for pointers on the
most important bits to read for prepping patches submission.

Also, in the layers list I'll be asking about some build issues that I
don't see with a manual bitbake, that look like missing preqs on a build
server, unless the layer should be requesting installation of host files
somewhere.

Regards,

Daniel

* Re: Hints on submitting to OE-Core
@ 2017-03-18  1:21 ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2017-03-18  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

On 2017-03-18 00:55, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a pre-alpha 'distro' and some layers I think that could get to
> an interesting state.  The intent is to work them up to where they are
> suitable to be submitted as patches to oe-core rather than the
> current .bbappend and related files.
>
> There's rather a lot of reading (which is good in the sense that I like
> actually have documentation, although that's definitely an area I need
> to improve on for the layers I've got in the works), and I haven't
> nearly got through it all yet, but I was hoping for pointers on the
> most important bits to read for prepping patches submission.

Have you read this?
   http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/How_to_submit_a_patch_to_OpenEmbedded

> Also, in the layers list I'll be asking about some build issues that I
> don't see with a manual bitbake, that look like missing preqs on a build
> server, unless the layer should be requesting installation of host files
> somewhere.

Some tools required by ${HOSTTOOLS} are missing:
   cpio chrpath gawk diffstat makeinfo

* Re: Hints on submitting to OE-Core
@ 2017-03-18  1:38   ` Daniel Dickinson
From: Daniel Dickinson @ 2017-03-18  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 02:21:30 +0100
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:

> Have you read this?
>    http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/How_to_submit_a_patch_to_OpenEmbedded

I hadn't read in detail yet (I've seen similar before and from
skimming, it's about mechanics of the process), but I was looking more
in terms of coding and/or style guidelines for the meat of the patch,
and/or hints/tips on getting things accepted from the point of view of
things other than mechanics of patch submission.

> > Also, in the layers list I'll be asking about some build issues
> > that I don't see with a manual bitbake, that look like missing
> > preqs on a build server, unless the layer should be requesting
> > installation of host files somewhere.
>
> Some tools required by ${HOSTTOOLS} are missing:
>    cpio chrpath gawk diffstat makeinfo

As mentioned these are openembedded.org autobuilds of submitted layers,
so I was kind of hoping there were something I could change in the
layer to make it work.  I guess the build host or chroot is missing
packges.

@ 2017-03-18  2:17     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2017-03-18  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Dickinson, Gary Thomas; +Cc: openembedded-core

On 3/17/17 6:38 PM, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 02:21:30 +0100
> Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>

>> Have you read this?
>>    http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/How_to_submit_a_patch_to_OpenEmbedded
>
> I hadn't read in detail yet (I've seen similar before and from
> skimming, it's about mechanics of the process), but I was looking more
> in terms of coding and/or style guidelines for the meat of the patch,
> and/or hints/tips on getting things accepted from the point of view of
> things other than mechanics of patch submission.

If you read through that link Gary pointed, there are links to two other
documents one of style and other one patch message guidelines

there is styling scripts for metadata files, you could use that
https://github.com/openembedded/meta-openembedded/blob/master/contrib/oe-stylize.py

As of meat of patch, if its fixing something and you are articulate to
explain it in your commit message and in general review cycle, you have
a better chance of getting it accepted, but you have to start submitting

@ 2017-03-18  2:36       ` Daniel Dickinson
From: Daniel Dickinson @ 2017-03-18  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 19:17:36 -0700
Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/17/17 6:38 PM, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> > On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 02:21:30 +0100
> > Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Have you read this?
> >>    http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/How_to_submit_a_patch_to_OpenEmbedded
> >
> > I hadn't read in detail yet (I've seen similar before and from
> > skimming, it's about mechanics of the process), but I was looking
> > more in terms of coding and/or style guidelines for the meat of the
> > patch, and/or hints/tips on getting things accepted from the point
> > of view of things other than mechanics of patch submission.
>
> If you read through that link Gary pointed, there are links to two
> other documents one of style and other one patch message guidelines

Ah, missed that on initial perusal, thank you.

> there is styling scripts for metadata files, you could use that
> https://github.com/openembedded/meta-openembedded/blob/master/contrib/oe-stylize.py

Will use thatt.

> As of meat of patch, if its fixing something and you are articulate to
> explain it in your commit message and in general review cycle, you
> have a better chance of getting it accepted, but you have to start
> submitting

I'm kind of hoping to get some feedback on the meta-runit-init, and
meta-earlyinit layers I've submitted to the layers listing (and to find
things I've missed) (perhaps as well as meta-cshored, but I don't think
there is as much there that's as likely to be generally useful) before
looking at working on getting them integrated into core.  Of course it
helps if the layers listing doesn't show builds failing (in this case
not because of an error on my part).

@ 2017-03-18  8:42   ` akuster808
From: akuster808 @ 2017-03-18  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas, openembedded-core

On 03/17/2017 06:21 PM, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On 2017-03-18 00:55, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've got a pre-alpha 'distro' and some layers I think that could get to
>> an interesting state.  The intent is to work them up to where they are
>> suitable to be submitted as patches to oe-core rather than the
>> current .bbappend and related files.
>>
>> There's rather a lot of reading (which is good in the sense that I like
>> actually have documentation, although that's definitely an area I need
>> to improve on for the layers I've got in the works), and I haven't
>> nearly got through it all yet, but I was hoping for pointers on the
>> most important bits to read for prepping patches submission.
>
> Have you read this?
> http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/How_to_submit_a_patch_to_OpenEmbedded

To be honest, OE-core does not even comply to the basic standard of a
README. It missing patch submission info like many other layers do nor
does in include the Maintainer.

- armin

@ 2017-03-18 17:17     ` Daniel Dickinson
From: Daniel Dickinson @ 2017-03-18 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akuster808; +Cc: Gary Thomas, openembedded-core

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 01:42:06 -0700
akuster808 <akuster808@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/17/2017 06:21 PM, Gary Thomas wrote:
> > On 2017-03-18 00:55, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I've got a pre-alpha 'distro' and some layers I think that could
> >> get to an interesting state.  The intent is to work them up to
> >> where they are suitable to be submitted as patches to oe-core
> >> rather than the current .bbappend and related files.
> >>
> >> There's rather a lot of reading (which is good in the sense that I
> >> like actually have documentation, although that's definitely an
> >> area I need to improve on for the layers I've got in the works),
> >> and I haven't nearly got through it all yet, but I was hoping for
> >> pointers on the most important bits to read for prepping patches
> >> submission.
> >
> > Have you read this?
> > http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/How_to_submit_a_patch_to_OpenEmbedded
>
> To be honest, OE-core does not even comply to the basic standard of a
> README. It missing patch submission info like many other layers do
> nor does in include the Maintainer.

I guess I was so glad of the Yocto manuals that I didn't notice the
per-layer bits; that's kind of ironic, and a good place to create some
patches for practice, I think!

@ 2017-03-18 19:05     ` Daniel Dickinson
From: Daniel Dickinson @ 2017-03-18 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akuster808; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 01:42:06 -0700
akuster808 <akuster808@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/17/2017 06:21 PM, Gary Thomas wrote:
> > On 2017-03-18 00:55, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I've got a pre-alpha 'distro' and some layers I think that could
> >> get to an interesting state.  The intent is to work them up to
> >> where they are suitable to be submitted as patches to oe-core
> >> rather than the current .bbappend and related files.
> >>
> >> There's rather a lot of reading (which is good in the sense that I
> >> like actually have documentation, although that's definitely an
> >> area I need to improve on for the layers I've got in the works),
> >> and I haven't nearly got through it all yet, but I was hoping for
> >> pointers on the most important bits to read for prepping patches
> >> submission.
> >
> > Have you read this?
> > http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/How_to_submit_a_patch_to_OpenEmbedded
>
> To be honest, OE-core does not even comply to the basic standard of a
> README. It missing patch submission info like many other layers do

Hmmm...just looked at master and there is a pointer to the wiki (which
I would considered the canonical location and better than duplicating
in multiple repos).

> nor does in include the Maintainer.

That's in 'meta/conf/bitbake.conf' or per-recipe (since there is no
single maintainer for the whole layer IIRC).

Regards,

Daniel