* [Virtio-fs] Changes in -dev branch
@ 2020-01-10 19:03 Dr. David Alan Gilbert
From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert @ 2020-01-10 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: virtio-fs

Hi,
   I've just pushed a new version of the virtio-fs-dev branch in
 https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/qemu

some things to note:

  a) The old '-o vhost_user_socket' syntax has now been replaced
     by the syntax matching qemu's standardised vhost-user interface
     which is;

     ./virtiofsd --socket-path=/path/whereever

  b) It's got about 64 of the main patches reviewed by Daniel Berrangé
     - about another 40 that need reviewing; please leap in
     and review any patches on the qemu-devel thread for any patches
     that are missing reviews.

  c) The set that I've just pushed has fixes for all the things
     Daniel spotted; so there's a bunch of mostly minor changes.

  d) It's also got patches that were received on list since
     mid December.

Dave

* Re: [Virtio-fs] Changes in -dev branch
@ 2020-01-13  7:55 ` Boeuf, Sebastien
From: Boeuf, Sebastien @ 2020-01-13  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dgilbert, virtio-fs

Hi Dave,

On Fri, 2020-01-10 at 19:03 +0000, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> Hi,
>    I've just pushed a new version of the virtio-fs-dev branch in
>  https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/qemu
>
> some things to note:
>
>   a) The old '-o vhost_user_socket' syntax has now been replaced
>      by the syntax matching qemu's standardised vhost-user interface
>      which is;
>
>      ./virtiofsd --socket-path=/path/whereever

I was expecting that "./virtiofsd --socket-path /path/whereever" would
work too, but it doesn't. Is this the expected behavior?

Just asking cause it feels weird that we must add "=" here.

Thanks,
Sebastien

>   b) It's got about 64 of the main patches reviewed by Daniel
> Berrangé
>      - about another 40 that need reviewing; please leap in
>      and review any patches on the qemu-devel thread for any patches
>      that are missing reviews.
>
>   c) The set that I've just pushed has fixes for all the things
>      Daniel spotted; so there's a bunch of mostly minor changes.
>
>   d) It's also got patches that were received on list since
>      mid December.
>
> Dave
>
> --
> Dr. David Alan Gilbert / dgilbert@redhat.com / Manchester, UK

92196 Meudon Cedex, France
Registration Number:  302 456 199 R.C.S. NANTERRE
Capital: 4,572,000 Euros

* Re: [Virtio-fs] Changes in -dev branch
@ 2020-01-14 12:25   ` Dr. David Alan Gilbert
From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert @ 2020-01-14 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boeuf, Sebastien; +Cc: virtio-fs

* Boeuf, Sebastien (sebastien.boeuf@intel.com) wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> On Fri, 2020-01-10 at 19:03 +0000, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    I've just pushed a new version of the virtio-fs-dev branch in
> >  https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/qemu
> >
> > some things to note:
> >
> >   a) The old '-o vhost_user_socket' syntax has now been replaced
> >      by the syntax matching qemu's standardised vhost-user interface
> >      which is;
> >
> >      ./virtiofsd --socket-path=/path/whereever
>
> I was expecting that "./virtiofsd --socket-path /path/whereever" would
> work too, but it doesn't. Is this the expected behavior?
>
> Just asking cause it feels weird that we must add "=" here.

--socket-path= is the stadnard defined in qemu's
docs/interop/vhost-user.rst and fuse_lowlevel also seems
to standardise on options that take parameters using =.

Dave

@ 2020-01-15  7:34     ` Boeuf, Sebastien
From: Boeuf, Sebastien @ 2020-01-15  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dgilbert; +Cc: virtio-fs

On Tue, 2020-01-14 at 12:25 +0000, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Boeuf, Sebastien (sebastien.boeuf@intel.com) wrote:
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > On Fri, 2020-01-10 at 19:03 +0000, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >    I've just pushed a new version of the virtio-fs-dev branch in
> > >  https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/qemu
> > >
> > > some things to note:
> > >
> > >   a) The old '-o vhost_user_socket' syntax has now been replaced
> > >      by the syntax matching qemu's standardised vhost-user
> > > interface
> > >      which is;
> > >
> > >      ./virtiofsd --socket-path=/path/whereever
> >
> > I was expecting that "./virtiofsd --socket-path /path/whereever"
> > would
> > work too, but it doesn't. Is this the expected behavior?
> >
> > Just asking cause it feels weird that we must add "=" here.
>
> --socket-path= is the stadnard defined in qemu's
> docs/interop/vhost-user.rst and fuse_lowlevel also seems
> to standardise on options that take parameters using =.

Fair enough :)

Thanks,
Sebastien

@ 2020-10-28 19:00 Dr. David Alan Gilbert
From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert @ 2020-10-28 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: virtio-fs

Hi,
   I've just pushed a new version of the virtio-fs-dev branch in
  https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/qemu

This is based off a very recent qemu tree, and we've got some new
virtiofs features in (thanks to all contributors):

  a) A new sandbox option that uses chroot rather than pivot_root
    and namespacing

  b) A mechanism that lets xattr names be translated between the
    host and guest.

  c) an explicit configure option (--enable-virtiofsd) to force
   compilation of virtiofsd - the build system will then tell
   you if you're missing build dependencies rather than quietly
   disabling it.

Dave

* [Virtio-fs] Changes in -dev branch
@ 2020-09-23 12:28 Dr. David Alan Gilbert
From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert @ 2020-09-23 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: virtio-fs

Hi,
   I've just pushed a new version of the virtio-fs-dev branch in
  https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/qemu

There's no major changes from the virtiofs world in there, but it is
based on a bleeding edge qemu build, which has some major changes in
it's build system.

Note that the virtiofsd binary ends up in ./tools/virtiofsd/virtiofsd
rather than the top level where the existing build system puts it.

@ 2019-12-11 17:16     ` Boeuf, Sebastien
From: Boeuf, Sebastien @ 2019-12-11 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dgilbert; +Cc: virtio-fs

On Wed, 2019-12-11 at 14:00 +0000, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Boeuf, Sebastien (sebastien.boeuf@intel.com) wrote:
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > I've just checked the codebase and I can see it includes the
> > libvhost-
> > user fixes "libvhost-user: fix SLAVE_SEND_FD handling" and
> > "libvhost-
> > user: introduce and use vu_has_protocol_feature()", that's great!
> >
> > Unfortunately, through the virtio-fs development (based on previous
> > libvhost-user code), a new bug has been introduced here:
> > https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/qemu/blob/virtio-fs-dev/contrib/libvhost-user/libvhost-user.c#L2558
> >
> > Instead, it needs to follow the new code format (which fixes the
> > bug)
> > like here:
> > https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/qemu/blob/virtio-fs-dev/contrib/libvhost-user/libvhost-user.c#L1136
>
> Oops!
>
> > Do you think that's something we can quickly fix on your branch?
> >
> > I can push a patch if you need me to :)
>
> Pushed; can you just check that's OK?

Just checked, it looks good :)

I need to verify it, but I think the branch can now be directly used
with Cloud-Hypervisor. I'll let you know if I run into any kind of
trouble.

Thanks,
Sebastien

@ 2019-12-11 14:00   ` Dr. David Alan Gilbert