* System DT - thinking a sprint would help
@ 2020-02-06 15:59 Steve McIntyre
       [not found] ` <010001701b769f8f-8cbe493b-840f-4055-a955-e7b1bebe87f6-000000@email.amazonses.com>
       [not found] ` <20200206155907.GQ6796-RWaXQMOneMVkKwkEErXb8g@public.gmane.org>
From: Steve McIntyre @ 2020-02-06 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	dte-all-QSEj5FYQhm4dnm+yROfE0A,
	system-dt-ZwoEplunGu1b+pB8xrm1Mtaxn9tAw+E3
  Cc: Grant Likely, Arnd Bergmann, Olof Johansson, Frank Rowand,
	Rob Herring, Mark Brown, Stefano Stabellini, Bruce Ashfield,
	Benjamin Gaignard

Hi all!

[ tl;dr - we're trying to organise a sprint - see the end ]

Due to the Linux on Arm meetup this week, quite a few of our DT
community happened to be in Cambridge together last night. We took the
opportunity to get together for food and beer, and we naturally ended
up mulling over a whole range of things, not least the ongoing System
DT design work.

As is the nature of this kind of gathering, we had a whole range of
opinions and ideas, much more than I can faithfully recall to share
here in great detail. Grant has been keen to try and keep system-dt
compatible with Linux DT usage if that's possible, and Stefano has
been working with that in mind. Rob is concerned about how things
might scale with lots of domains, for example. Olof is keen to talk
about a higher-level design to make it easier to express complex
layouts. And so on.

There is one thing that *did* stand out: we agreed that it's probably
time to try and get all of the interested people in a room together
for a few days with a whiteboard, to really thrash out what's needed
and how to achieve it. With the right people, we can go through all
our needs, pick up the ideas we have and hopefully get some prototypes
ready to evaluate.

So, who's interested? I believe all the people in CC here are likely
keen to be involved. Anybody else?

Although we have Linaro Connect in Budapest at the end of March,
that's really *not* a good place to try and meet up, for a couple of
reasons: not everybody will be there, and we'll have too many
distractions to be able to focus on this. Let's *not* do that.

AFAICS we're geographically roughly split between US/Canada and
Europe, so I'm thinking a week in either the US or Europe, some time
in the next 2-3 months:

 * Would a week before or after Connect work, in Europe (16th-20th
   March, or 30th March to 3rd April)? I can look for options in the
   UK easily, with maybe either Arm or Linaro hosting.

 * Alternatively, a week's meeting in the US, deliberately avoiding
   the Connect week so we don't wipe people out with travel: Maybe 2-6
   or 9-13 March? Or push back into April if that's too short notice,
   of course. Would Xilinx be able to host something for us, maybe? Or
   another possibility might be the Linaro office in Nashua?

I'm open to other suggestions for time and venue. Let's try to make
something work here?

Cheers,

Steve

--
Steve McIntyre                                steve.mcintyre-QSEj5FYQhm4dnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org
<http://www.linaro.org/> Linaro.org | Open source software for ARM SoCs

* Re: System DT - thinking a sprint would help
       [not found] ` <20200206155907.GQ6796-RWaXQMOneMVkKwkEErXb8g@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-02-06 17:04   ` Francois Ozog
From: Francois Ozog @ 2020-02-06 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve McIntyre
  Cc: devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	dte-all-QSEj5FYQhm4dnm+yROfE0A,
	system-dt-ZwoEplunGu1b+pB8xrm1Mtaxn9tAw+E3, Grant Likely,
	Arnd Bergmann, Olof Johansson, Frank Rowand, Rob Herring,
	Mark Brown, Stefano Stabellini, Bruce Ashfield,
	Benjamin Gaignard

count me in.

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 at 16:59, Steve McIntyre <steve.mcintyre-QSEj5FYQhm4dnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> [ tl;dr - we're trying to organise a sprint - see the end ]
>
> Due to the Linux on Arm meetup this week, quite a few of our DT
> community happened to be in Cambridge together last night. We took the
> opportunity to get together for food and beer, and we naturally ended
> up mulling over a whole range of things, not least the ongoing System
> DT design work.
>
> As is the nature of this kind of gathering, we had a whole range of
> opinions and ideas, much more than I can faithfully recall to share
> here in great detail. Grant has been keen to try and keep system-dt
> compatible with Linux DT usage if that's possible, and Stefano has
> been working with that in mind. Rob is concerned about how things
> might scale with lots of domains, for example. Olof is keen to talk
> about a higher-level design to make it easier to express complex
> layouts. And so on.
>
> There is one thing that *did* stand out: we agreed that it's probably
> time to try and get all of the interested people in a room together
> for a few days with a whiteboard, to really thrash out what's needed
> and how to achieve it. With the right people, we can go through all
> our needs, pick up the ideas we have and hopefully get some prototypes
> ready to evaluate.
>
> So, who's interested? I believe all the people in CC here are likely
> keen to be involved. Anybody else?
>
> Although we have Linaro Connect in Budapest at the end of March,
> that's really *not* a good place to try and meet up, for a couple of
> reasons: not everybody will be there, and we'll have too many
> distractions to be able to focus on this. Let's *not* do that.
>
> AFAICS we're geographically roughly split between US/Canada and
> Europe, so I'm thinking a week in either the US or Europe, some time
> in the next 2-3 months:
>
>  * Would a week before or after Connect work, in Europe (16th-20th
>    March, or 30th March to 3rd April)? I can look for options in the
>    UK easily, with maybe either Arm or Linaro hosting.
>
>  * Alternatively, a week's meeting in the US, deliberately avoiding
>    the Connect week so we don't wipe people out with travel: Maybe 2-6
>    or 9-13 March? Or push back into April if that's too short notice,
>    of course. Would Xilinx be able to host something for us, maybe? Or
>    another possibility might be the Linaro office in Nashua?
>
> I'm open to other suggestions for time and venue. Let's try to make
> something work here?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steve
>
> --
> Steve McIntyre                                steve.mcintyre-QSEj5FYQhm4dnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org
> <http://www.linaro.org/> Linaro.org | Open source software for ARM SoCs

--
François-Frédéric Ozog | Director Linaro Edge & Fog Computing Group
T: +33.67221.6485

* RE: [System-dt] System DT - thinking a sprint would help
       [not found]   ` <010001701b769f8f-8cbe493b-840f-4055-a955-e7b1bebe87f6-000000-p/GC64/jrecnJqMo6gzdpkEOCMrvLtNR@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-02-06 17:48     ` Nathalie Chan King Choy
       [not found]       ` <BYAPR02MB5621F0DA2DA2C69C318DE8C0A51D0-JPgLbEBPuzqwE48iOvlP/6nrV9Ap65cLvxpqHgZTriW3zl9H0oFU5g@public.gmane.org>
From: Nathalie Chan King Choy @ 2020-02-06 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francois Ozog, Steve McIntyre
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, dte-all-QSEj5FYQhm4dnm+yROfE0A,
	Bruce Ashfield, devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	Rob Herring, Mark Brown, Benjamin Gaignard, Olof Johansson,
	Arnd Bergmann

Hi Steve,

Additional folks who spoke during the last System DT call & not shown on the CC list were:
Loic from ST
Etsam & Dan from MGC
Tomas from Xilinx

@Loic, Etsam, Dan, Tomas: Are you guys interested?

Thanks & regards,
Nathalie

@ 2020-02-07 15:48         ` Loic PALLARDY
       [not found]           ` <d276b22b6e8249bc9eda9f92f9f52f5f-GGltqRL9kSEdIAuSVraBWEEOCMrvLtNR@public.gmane.org>
From: Loic PALLARDY @ 2020-02-07 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathalie Chan King Choy, Francois Ozog, Steve McIntyre
  Cc: Stefano Stabellini, dte-all-QSEj5FYQhm4dnm+yROfE0A,
	Bruce Ashfield, devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	Rob Herring, Mark Brown, Benjamin Gaignard, Olof Johansson,
	Arnd Bergmann

Hi Steve,

Sure, ST is interested to participate to a sprint on System Device tree definition.
I can propose ST Le Mans office to host this event in Europe (Direct train access from CDG airport, only 5min by walk from train station).

Regards,
Loic

@ 2020-02-07 19:08             ` Steve McIntyre
       [not found]               ` <20200207190841.GE32331-QSEj5FYQhm4dnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Steve McIntyre @ 2020-02-07 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic PALLARDY
  Cc: Nathalie Chan King Choy, Francois Ozog, Stefano Stabellini,
	dte-all-QSEj5FYQhm4dnm+yROfE0A, Bruce Ashfield,
	devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Rob Herring, Mark Brown,
	Benjamin Gaignard, Olof Johansson, Arnd Bergmann

Hey Loic,

Cool, that's very helpful thanks! :-)

I'm building a spreadsheet of possible dates now as people share their
availability. </hint>

Cheers,

Steve

Cheers,
--

@ 2020-02-08  1:39                 ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2020-02-08  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve McIntyre
  Cc: Loic PALLARDY, Nathalie Chan King Choy, Francois Ozog,
	Stefano Stabellini, dte-all-QSEj5FYQhm4dnm+yROfE0A,
	Bruce Ashfield, devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	Rob Herring, Mark Brown, Benjamin Gaignard, Olof Johansson,
	Arnd Bergmann, tomase-gjFFaj9aHVfQT0dZR+AlfA,
	nathalie-gjFFaj9aHVfQT0dZR+AlfA,
	system-dt-ZwoEplunGu1b+pB8xrm1Mtaxn9tAw+E3

Hi Steve,

A sprint sounds like a good idea. Xilinx would be very happy to host it
here in San Jose, both March 2-6 (preferred) or March 9-13 would work.

Otherwise, it would be challenging for Tomas and me to join a meeting in
Europe outside of Linaro Connect. I know you suggested to rule out
Linaro Connect, but I think we could make it work as a focused colocated
event in Budapest the same week. Could that be an option?

Cheers,

Stefano

@ 2020-02-08 17:37                   ` Steve McIntyre
From: Steve McIntyre @ 2020-02-08 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini
  Cc: Loic PALLARDY, Nathalie Chan King Choy, Francois Ozog,
	Stefano Stabellini, dte-all-QSEj5FYQhm4dnm+yROfE0A,
	Bruce Ashfield, devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	Rob Herring, Mark Brown, Benjamin Gaignard, Olof Johansson,
	Arnd Bergmann, tomase-gjFFaj9aHVfQT0dZR+AlfA,
	system-dt-ZwoEplunGu1b+pB8xrm1Mtaxn9tAw+E3

Hey Stefano!

On Fri, Feb 07, 2020 at 05:39:43PM -0800, Stefano Stabellini wrote:

>A sprint sounds like a good idea. Xilinx would be very happy to host it
>here in San Jose, both March 2-6 (preferred) or March 9-13 would work.
>
>Otherwise, it would be challenging for Tomas and me to join a meeting in
>Europe outside of Linaro Connect. I know you suggested to rule out
>Linaro Connect, but I think we could make it work as a focused colocated
>event in Budapest the same week. Could that be an option?

No, really not. Talking with people here on Wednesday, we all agreed
that Connect would be a bad plan. It's basically impossible for lots
of the people involved to avoid distractions and meetings that
week. You might manage a couple of hours, but not the focus week we
think we need.

--

@ 2020-02-10 11:17   ` Grant Likely
       [not found]     ` <3a06abe9-b8b7-0157-d881-f5e19176fc2f-5wv7dgnIgG8@public.gmane.org>
From: Grant Likely @ 2020-02-10 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve McIntyre, devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
  Cc: Arnd Bergmann, Olof Johansson, Frank Rowand, Rob Herring,

On 06/02/2020 15:59, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> [ tl;dr - we're trying to organise a sprint - see the end [...]
> > AFAICS we're geographically roughly split between US/Canada and
> Europe, so I'm thinking a week in either the US or Europe, some time
> in the next 2-3 months:
>
>   * Would a week before or after Connect work, in Europe (16th-20th
>     March, or 30th March to 3rd April)? I can look for options in the
>     UK easily, with maybe either Arm or Linaro hosting.

The week before isn't great, but the week after would work. I would want
to travel home over the weekend.

>   * Alternatively, a week's meeting in the US, deliberately avoiding
>     the Connect week so we don't wipe people out with travel: Maybe 2-6
>     or 9-13 March? Or push back into April if that's too short notice,
>     of course. Would Xilinx be able to host something for us, maybe? Or
>     another possibility might be the Linaro office in Nashua?

The 2nd-3rd could work for me. I may already be traveling to California
for this week to attend OCP Summit (4th-5th March) and the LF Member
Meeting 10th-12th.

g.

@ 2020-02-10 14:28       ` Steve McIntyre
       [not found]         ` <20200210142812.GA18978-QSEj5FYQhm4dnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Steve McIntyre @ 2020-02-10 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Likely
  Cc: devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	dte-all-QSEj5FYQhm4dnm+yROfE0A,
	system-dt-ZwoEplunGu1b+pB8xrm1Mtaxn9tAw+E3, Arnd Bergmann,
	Olof Johansson, Frank Rowand, Rob Herring, Mark Brown,

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 11:17:35AM +0000, Grant Likely wrote:
>On 06/02/2020 15:59, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> [ tl;dr - we're trying to organise a sprint - see the end [...]
>> > AFAICS we're geographically roughly split between US/Canada and
>> Europe, so I'm thinking a week in either the US or Europe, some time
>> in the next 2-3 months:
>>
>>   * Would a week before or after Connect work, in Europe (16th-20th
>>     March, or 30th March to 3rd April)? I can look for options in the
>>     UK easily, with maybe either Arm or Linaro hosting.
>
>The week before isn't great, but the week after would work. I would want
>to travel home over the weekend.
>
>>   * Alternatively, a week's meeting in the US, deliberately avoiding
>>     the Connect week so we don't wipe people out with travel: Maybe 2-6
>>     or 9-13 March? Or push back into April if that's too short notice,
>>     of course. Would Xilinx be able to host something for us, maybe? Or
>>     another possibility might be the Linaro office in Nashua?
>
>The 2nd-3rd could work for me. I may already be traveling to California
>for this week to attend OCP Summit (4th-5th March) and the LF Member
>Meeting 10th-12th.

Thanks Grant!

Any more dates please? Feel free to just mail me privately rather than
to the lists - I'm filling in the data provided into a spreadsheet to
help with planning.

Cheers,
--

@ 2020-02-10 15:52           ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2020-02-10 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve McIntyre
  Cc: devicetree-spec-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,

On 10/02/2020 14:28, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 11:17:35AM +0000, Grant Likely wrote:
>> On 06/02/2020 15:59, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> [ tl;dr - we're trying to organise a sprint - see the end [...]
>>> Europe, so I'm thinking a week in either the US or Europe, some time
>>> in the next 2-3 months:
>>>
>>>    * Would a week before or after Connect work, in Europe (16th-20th
>>>      March, or 30th March to 3rd April)? I can look for options in the
>>>      UK easily, with maybe either Arm or Linaro hosting.
>>
>> The week before isn't great, but the week after would work. I would want
>> to travel home over the weekend.
>>
>>>    * Alternatively, a week's meeting in the US, deliberately avoiding
>>>      the Connect week so we don't wipe people out with travel: Maybe 2-6
>>>      or 9-13 March? Or push back into April if that's too short notice,
>>>      of course. Would Xilinx be able to host something for us, maybe? Or
>>>      another possibility might be the Linaro office in Nashua?
>>
>> The 2nd-3rd could work for me. I may already be traveling to California
>> for this week to attend OCP Summit (4th-5th March) and the LF Member
>> Meeting 10th-12th.
>
> Thanks Grant!
>
> Any more dates please? Feel free to just mail me privately rather than
> to the lists - I'm filling in the data provided into a spreadsheet to
> help with planning.

The rest of March is pretty much out for me. April isn't looking much
better due to school term Easter break, but things start to open up at
the end of April. I may be traveling to the US for Arm ServerReady event
27th-29th April.

g.