* b4: shazam and ty flag changes
@ 2021-10-20 15:10 Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2021-10-20 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tools

Hi, all:

Based on feedback, the latest master branch implements the following important
changes to the ty and shazam subcommands:

b4 ty:

  - there's initial implementation to send out thanks-mail directly instead of
    simply writing out .thanks files. It will look at any existing [sendemail]
    git configuration already used by git-send-email, but only currently
    supports the more popular subset of possible configuration parameters,
    specifically:

        sendemail.smtpServer
        sendemail.smtpServerPort
        sendemail.smtpEncryption
        sendemail.smtpUser
        sendemail.smtpPass
        sendemail.from

    This is only lightly tested with the two mail servers to which I have
    access, but should work for kernel.org and linux.dev accounts.

  - if you have multiple sendemail identities and you want b4 to use a
    specific one, you can set the b4.sendemail-identity configuration
    parameter to tell b4 which identity to use.

  - there's an important flag change: the -s,--send option used in versions
    0.8 and prior to select a subset of tracked patches/pull requests is now
    called -t,--thank-for in order to reduce possible confusion with the new
    -S,--send-email flag used to invoke automatic mail sending. Since "ty" is
    still marked as "EXPERIMENTAL", I don't feel too bad about this change.
    Attempting to use -s will just give "no such option" error, so there
    shouldn't be any unintended side-effects other than potential annoyance.
    Sorry about that in any case.

  - there's also a --dry-run flag now to preview emails before sending them
    out. This will not mark tracked patches/pull requests as sent.

b4 shazam:

  - Based on feedback, I changed the default behaviour to apply patches to the
    currently active tree instead of simulating a pull request and fetching
    into FETCH_HEAD. So, running "b4 shazam <msgid>" will now run "git am".

  - You can still simulate a pull request and fetch a patch/series into
    FETCH_HEAD -- use the -H,--make-fetch-head flag for that purpose, e.g.:
    b4 shazam -H <msgid>

Best regards,
-K

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: b4: shazam and ty flag changes
@ 2021-10-25 19:37 ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2021-10-25 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev; +Cc: tools

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 11:10:43AM -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:

>   - there's initial implementation to send out thanks-mail directly instead of
>     simply writing out .thanks files. It will look at any existing [sendemail]
>     git configuration already used by git-send-email, but only currently
>     supports the more popular subset of possible configuration parameters,
>     specifically:

>         sendemail.smtpServer
>         sendemail.smtpServerPort
>         sendemail.smtpEncryption
>         sendemail.smtpUser
>         sendemail.smtpPass
>         sendemail.from

git send-email also takes smtp. versions of all those parameters which
was what I was using, presumably it's renamed at some point.  If I
replicate them with sendemail I'm getting

	(535, b'5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: authentication failure')

when trying to send via mail.kernel.org as I usually do.

@ 2021-10-25 19:58   ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2021-10-25 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev; +Cc: tools

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 08:37:38PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> git send-email also takes smtp. versions of all those parameters which
> was what I was using, presumably it's renamed at some point.  If I
> replicate them with sendemail I'm getting

> 	(535, b'5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: authentication failure')

> when trying to send via mail.kernel.org as I usually do.

Ah, now I try again after setting up a [smtp] block I'm seeing the same
error with git send-email, though not with the same parameters specified
in a [smtp] block instead which is confusing me no end.  Both programs
connect to port 587 and does STARTTLS as I'd expect before reporting an
authentication failure.  I'll have another poke later, I can't spot
any reason why the configuration that works with [smtp] won't work with
[sendemail] - the parameter names appear to match.

@ 2021-10-25 21:09     ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2021-10-25 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown; +Cc: tools

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 08:58:25PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> Ah, now I try again after setting up a [smtp] block I'm seeing the same
> error with git send-email, though not with the same parameters specified
> in a [smtp] block instead which is confusing me no end.  Both programs
> connect to port 587 and does STARTTLS as I'd expect before reporting an
> authentication failure.  I'll have another poke later, I can't spot
> any reason why the configuration that works with [smtp] won't work with
> [sendemail] - the parameter names appear to match.

I'm happy to test it out if you send me your [sendemail] and [smtp] blocks
with your credentials replaced by X's.

-K

* Re: b4: shazam and ty flag changes
@ 2021-10-25 21:35       ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2021-10-25 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev; +Cc: tools

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 05:09:14PM -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 08:58:25PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> > Ah, now I try again after setting up a [smtp] block I'm seeing the same
> > error with git send-email, though not with the same parameters specified
> > in a [smtp] block instead which is confusing me no end.  Both programs
> > connect to port 587 and does STARTTLS as I'd expect before reporting an
> > authentication failure.  I'll have another poke later, I can't spot
> > any reason why the configuration that works with [smtp] won't work with
> > [sendemail] - the parameter names appear to match.

> I'm happy to test it out if you send me your [sendemail] and [smtp] blocks
> with your credentials replaced by X's.

OK, so I tested again and the [smtp] block is a red herring - it's being
ignored and things are falling back to msmtp instead these days.  The
configuration block is:

	[sendemail]
        smtpServer = mail.kernel.org
        smtpServerPort = 587
        smtpEncryption = tls
        smtpUser = = broonie
        smtpPass = XXXXXXXXXXXXX
        from = broonie@kernel.org

which seems to match both the manpage and

	https://korg.docs.kernel.org/mail.html

AFAICT (I've used both smtpuser and smtpUser type LHSs).

@ 2021-10-25 21:40         ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2021-10-25 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev; +Cc: tools

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 10:35:22PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> OK, so I tested again and the [smtp] block is a red herring - it's being
> ignored and things are falling back to msmtp instead these days.  The
> configuration block is:

> 	[sendemail]
>         smtpServer = mail.kernel.org
>         smtpServerPort = 587
>         smtpEncryption = tls
>         smtpUser = = broonie

And now I put this into e-mail I see the double = there which is what's
breaking it *sigh*.  Sorry for the noise here :(

@ 2021-10-25 21:50           ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2021-10-25 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown; +Cc: tools