* Man-pages Git repository
@ 2022-03-16 13:14 John Marshall
From: John Marshall @ 2022-03-16 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-man

I didn't find anything in the mailing list archives discussing this or mentioning a change in repository location. Is there something I'm missing about where to find an up-to-date Git repository for the Linux man pages?

Thanks,

    John

* Re: Man-pages Git repository
@ 2022-03-16 17:27 ` Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)
From: Alejandro Colomar (man-pages) @ 2022-03-16 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Marshall, linux-man

Hi John,

On 3/16/22 14:14, John Marshall wrote:

> I didn't find anything in the mailing list archives discussing this or mentioning a change in repository location. Is there something I'm missing about where to find an up-to-date Git repository for the Linux man pages?

I keep updating the repository on my own git server,
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/src/alx/linux/man-pages/man-pages.git/>.
That's where patches to the mailing list are being merged since half a
year ago.

However, we haven't released any new versions since then.
There's only the git repository,
which you can use to get the freshest manual pages,
or prepare new patches against them.

We (the maintainers) haven't had much time to prepare a release,
but the official (kernel.org) repository
will get updated some time in the future.

Thanks,

Alex

--
Alejandro Colomar
Linux man-pages comaintainer; https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/

@ 2022-03-21 21:14   ` Mike Frysinger
From: Mike Frysinger @ 2022-03-21 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alejandro Colomar (man-pages); +Cc: John Marshall, linux-man

On 16 Mar 2022 18:27, Alejandro Colomar (man-pages) wrote:
> On 3/16/22 14:14, John Marshall wrote:
> >
> > I didn't find anything in the mailing list archives discussing this or mentioning a change in repository location. Is there something I'm missing about where to find an up-to-date Git repository for the Linux man pages?
>
> I keep updating the repository on my own git server,
> <http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/src/alx/linux/man-pages/man-pages.git/>.
> That's where patches to the mailing list are being merged since half a
> year ago.
>
> However, we haven't released any new versions since then.
> There's only the git repository,
> which you can use to get the freshest manual pages,
> or prepare new patches against them.
>
> We (the maintainers) haven't had much time to prepare a release,
> but the official (kernel.org) repository
> will get updated some time in the future.

please keep the canonical git repo up-to-date.  it's what everyone is using,
and it shouldn't be updated only when releases are pushed.  no one is going
to find your personal server, and if they did, i don't see why anyone would
trust it as the canonical source.
-mike

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Man-pages Git repository
@ 2022-03-21 22:55     ` Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)
From: Alejandro Colomar (man-pages) @ 2022-03-21 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Frysinger; +Cc: linux-man, John Marshall

Hello Mike,

On 3/21/22 22:14, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On 16 Mar 2022 18:27, Alejandro Colomar (man-pages) wrote:
>> On 3/16/22 14:14, John Marshall wrote:
>>>
>>> I didn't find anything in the mailing list archives discussing this or mentioning a change in repository location. Is there something I'm missing about where to find an up-to-date Git repository for the Linux man pages?
>>
>> I keep updating the repository on my own git server,
>> <http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/src/alx/linux/man-pages/man-pages.git/>.
>> That's where patches to the mailing list are being merged since half a
>> year ago.
>>
>> However, we haven't released any new versions since then.
>> There's only the git repository,
>> which you can use to get the freshest manual pages,
>> or prepare new patches against them.
>>
>> We (the maintainers) haven't had much time to prepare a release,
>> but the official (kernel.org) repository
>> will get updated some time in the future.
>
> please keep the canonical git repo up-to-date.  it's what everyone is using,
> and it shouldn't be updated only when releases are pushed.

That's the idea.
But I don't have write access to kernel.org,
which means I can't push commits there, at all.
I didn't mean that we'll not push until release,
but rather that if someone wants the latest development pages
one can search my private repo,
but if someone only cares about the latest _release_
then kernel.org is the latest.
I also meant that since I don't have in mind releasing soon,
I also won't go through the process of getting a kernel.org account
with all the bureaucracy that it requires (signing gpg keys, ...),
which these days of avoiding physical meetings is even more cumbersome.

So, you can expect two things:

a) In a year or so, I've had time to polish the parts
    of the project I'm working on, and feel like releasing,
    and also, since a year has passed, the world gets better,
    we can all see each other, and I get a kernel account,
    with which I can push regularly to git.kernel.org.

b) Michael finds some time to push before (a) happens.
    He's the only maintainer with write access right now.

> no one is going
> to find your personal server, and if they did, i don't see why anyone would
> trust it as the canonical source.

I don't expect random people to trust random people (which includes me).
I just offer it as a possibility, not as a canonical source
(in fact, I'm not happy with it, since I don't want people complaining
about "your git server broke"; it's my personal repo, not a canonical
repo, and I may shut it down at any time; that should be clear, and I
try to remind it every time too).
It's useful at this moment, for the reasons above, and that's why I
offer it to people who ask.
Also, git(1) being decentralized means that canonical source is less of
an actual thing, but yes, distributions, and people not working on
significant patches to the man-pages, those can just rely on the
git.kernel.org repo.

Regards,

Alex

--
Alejandro Colomar
Linux man-pages comaintainer; http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/

@ 2022-03-22  9:49       ` Christian Aistleitner
From: Christian Aistleitner @ 2022-03-22  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alejandro Colomar (man-pages); +Cc: Mike Frysinger, linux-man, John Marshall

Hi Alejandro,

On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 11:55:55PM +0100, Alejandro Colomar (man-pages) wrote:
> [...]
> but rather that if someone wants the latest development pages
> one can search my private repo,

When preparing a patch a few days ago, I ran into the same situation
as OP, and I failed to find your private repo.

I did manage to find https://github.com/mkerrisk/man-pages but that
seemed to lag as well, when comparing to the patches marked as merged
on the mailing list. (Just as other forks on GitHub did)

While I also think that it would be nice to have the canonical repo
updated, I can of course also see the isseus of getting push access to
kernel.org.

So as a kind of stop-gap mitigation (?), I've set up
https://github.com/somechris/man-pages

It's a read-only clone of your repo.
This clone gets updated hourly from your private repo.
The description holds a reference to your repo and this thread.
And since it's on GitHub it'll hopefully help get picked up by search
engines and help to better expose the freshly merged commits from your
repo, and help people to create patches against your up-to-date repo.

Have fun,
Christian

P.S.: If you think that yet-another-linux-man-pages-repo-on-GitHub is
counter-productive or you object to have your server queried for new
commits every hour, please let me know and I'll tear that repo down
again.

--
---- quelltextlich e.U. ---- \\ ---- Christian Aistleitner ----
                           Companies' registry: 360296y in Linz

* Re: Man-pages Git repository
@ 2022-03-22 11:44         ` Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)
From: Alejandro Colomar (man-pages) @ 2022-03-22 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Aistleitner; +Cc: Mike Frysinger, linux-man, John Marshall

Hi Christian,

On 3/22/22 10:49, Christian Aistleitner wrote:
> Hi Alejandro,
>
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 11:55:55PM +0100, Alejandro Colomar (man-pages) wrote:
>> [...]
>> but rather that if someone wants the latest development pages
>> one can search my private repo,
>
> When preparing a patch a few days ago, I ran into the same situation
> as OP, and I failed to find your private repo.
>
> I did manage to find https://github.com/mkerrisk/man-pages but that
> seemed to lag as well, when comparing to the patches marked as merged
> on the mailing list. (Just as other forks on GitHub did)
>
> While I also think that it would be nice to have the canonical repo
> updated, I can of course also see the isseus of getting push access to
> kernel.org.
>
> So as a kind of stop-gap mitigation (?), I've set up
> https://github.com/somechris/man-pages
>
> It's a read-only clone of your repo.
> This clone gets updated hourly from your private repo.
> The description holds a reference to your repo and this thread.
> And since it's on GitHub it'll hopefully help get picked up by search
> engines and help to better expose the freshly merged commits from your
> repo, and help people to create patches against your up-to-date repo.

Thank you very much :)

I already had a github man-pages repo[1],
but don't like github policies very much[2],
and in general, I don't trust big corporations to keep my stuff,
so I decided to remove all of my personal repos from github[3],
and I kept the man-pages one just to help contributors.

[1]: <https://github.com/alejandro-colomar/man-pages>

[2]: <https://twitter.com/sgomez/status/1480148595059965956>

[3]: Incidentally, just a day before [2] happened,
      I removed all of my personal repos from github.
      Quite a coincidence.

> Have fun,
> Christian
>

> P.S.: If you think that yet-another-linux-man-pages-repo-on-GitHub is
> counter-productive or you object to have your server queried for new
> commits every hour, please let me know and I'll tear that repo down
> again.

a) Not really, and that's your decision.  But if you ask me, if I have
to choose between (too) many forks/mirrors, or just a single source of
truth, I prefer many.  When things go wrong, mirrors/forks save the world.

b) Nah, I don't mind that kind of traffic.  Go ahead.  What I don't
promise is that my server will respond always; I may turn it off for
maintenance without notice.

Cheers,

Alex

--

@ 2022-06-04  1:26           ` Alejandro Colomar
From: Alejandro Colomar @ 2022-06-04  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Aistleitner; +Cc: Mike Frysinger, linux-man, John Marshall

Hi Christian,

On 3/22/22 12:44, Alejandro Colomar (man-pages) wrote:
>> P.S.: If you think that yet-another-linux-man-pages-repo-on-GitHub is
>> counter-productive or you object to have your server queried for new
>> commits every hour, please let me know and I'll tear that repo down
>> again.
>
> a) Not really, and that's your decision.  But if you ask me, if I have
> to choose between (too) many forks/mirrors, or just a single source of
> truth, I prefer many.  When things go wrong, mirrors/forks save the world.
>
> b) Nah, I don't mind that kind of traffic.  Go ahead.  What I don't
> promise is that my server will respond always; I may turn it off for
> maintenance without notice.

I now have push access to kernel.org, and pushed all of my commits (for
now to a branch called alx/main, and soon to master).  To me it's fine
if you keep the github mirror of my personal server.  Just noticing you
that the reason it originated is fading and you way want to save a few
cents on electricity and/or maintenance, and stop that script :)

Cheers,

Alex

--
Alejandro Colomar