* qt4 moves out of oe-core - to meta-qt4, or to meta-oe?
@ 2015-11-12 16:45 alexander.kanavin
From: alexander.kanavin @ 2015-11-12 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core, openembedded-devel

Hello,

now that 2.0 is out, it's time to move the Qt4 recipes out of oe-core.
This has been discussed previously here:
http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2015-June/106355.html

I'm not sure where the recipes should land, and want to ask your opinion.
The options are:
1) Make a new layer, meta-qt4, under meta-openembedded tree. Move also
everything in meta-oe/recipes-qt (and possibly other spots) to that layer.
This is somewhat more disruptive to people's layer configurations, but
would clearly separate qt4, and slim down meta-oe.

2) Simply move the qt4 recipes from oe-core to meta-oe/recipes-qt, so they
will be next to all the qt4-based software. This is less disruptive, but
adds bloat to meta-oe.

Preferences?

Alex

* Re: qt4 moves out of oe-core - to meta-qt4, or to meta-oe?
@ 2015-11-12 17:03   ` Andreas Müller
From: Andreas Müller @ 2015-11-12 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin
  Cc: openembedded-devel, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 5:45 PM,  <alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> now that 2.0 is out, it's time to move the Qt4 recipes out of oe-core.
> This has been discussed previously here:
> http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2015-June/106355.html
>
> I'm not sure where the recipes should land, and want to ask your opinion.
> The options are:
> 1) Make a new layer, meta-qt4, under meta-openembedded tree. Move also
> everything in meta-oe/recipes-qt (and possibly other spots) to that layer.
> This is somewhat more disruptive to people's layer configurations, but
> would clearly separate qt4, and slim down meta-oe.
>
> 2) Simply move the qt4 recipes from oe-core to meta-oe/recipes-qt, so they
> will be next to all the qt4-based software. This is less disruptive, but
> adds bloat to meta-oe.
>
> Preferences?

1) or even better in a separate repo

Andreas

* Re: [OE-core] qt4 moves out of oe-core - to meta-qt4, or to meta-oe?
@ 2015-11-12 17:03   ` Andreas Müller
From: Andreas Müller @ 2015-11-12 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin
  Cc: openembedded-devel, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

@ 2015-11-12 17:19   ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2015-11-12 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alexander.kanavin; +Cc: openembedded-devel, openembedded-core

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 06:45:34PM +0200, alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> now that 2.0 is out, it's time to move the Qt4 recipes out of oe-core.
> This has been discussed previously here:
> http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2015-June/106355.html
>
> I'm not sure where the recipes should land, and want to ask your opinion.
> The options are:
> 1) Make a new layer, meta-qt4, under meta-openembedded tree. Move also
> everything in meta-oe/recipes-qt (and possibly other spots) to that layer.
> This is somewhat more disruptive to people's layer configurations, but
> would clearly separate qt4, and slim down meta-oe.
>
> 2) Simply move the qt4 recipes from oe-core to meta-oe/recipes-qt, so they
> will be next to all the qt4-based software. This is less disruptive, but
> adds bloat to meta-oe.
>
> Preferences?

1)

There is already enough meta-oe bloat moved from oe-core:

http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2015-November/112665.html

WARN: qt-mobility-embedded: qt-mobility-embedded rdepends on glib-2.0, but it isn't a build dependency?
WARN: qt-mobility-embedded: qt-mobility-embedded rdepends on gstreamer, but it isn't a build dependency?
WARN: qt-mobility-embedded: qt-mobility-embedded rdepends on libasound, but it isn't a build dependency?
WARN: qt-mobility-embedded: qt-mobility-embedded rdepends on libgstapp-0.10, but it isn't a build dependency?
WARN: qt-mobility-embedded: qt-mobility-embedded rdepends on libgstvideo-0.10, but it isn't a build dependency?
WARN: qt-mobility-x11: qt-mobility-x11 rdepends on glib-2.0, but it isn't a build dependency?
WARN: qt-mobility-x11: qt-mobility-x11 rdepends on gstreamer, but it isn't a build dependency?
WARN: qt-mobility-x11: qt-mobility-x11 rdepends on libasound, but it isn't a build dependency?
WARN: qt-mobility-x11: qt-mobility-x11 rdepends on libgstapp-0.10, but it isn't a build dependency?
WARN: qt-mobility-x11: qt-mobility-x11 rdepends on libgstinterfaces-0.10, but it isn't a build dependency?
WARN: qt-mobility-x11: qt-mobility-x11 rdepends on libgstvideo-0.10, but it isn't a build dependency?
WARN: qt-mobility-x11: qt-mobility-x11 rdepends on libxext, but it isn't a build dependency?
WARN: qt-mobility-x11: qt-mobility-x11 rdepends on libxv, but it isn't a build dependency?

I'm still fixing gst-plugins-good and more gst-plugins-bad issues..

--
Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa@gmail.com

From: Martin Jansa @ 2015-11-12 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alexander.kanavin; +Cc: openembedded-devel, openembedded-core

@ 2015-11-12 17:38     ` alexander.kanavin
From: alexander.kanavin @ 2015-11-12 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jansa; +Cc: openembedded-devel, openembedded-core

> There is already enough meta-oe bloat moved from oe-core:
>
> http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2015-November/112665.html
>
> WARN: qt-mobility-embedded: qt-mobility-embedded rdepends on glib-2.0, but
> it isn't a build dependency?

If increasing bloat is a problem, why do recipes in meta-oe need to be
maintained indefinitely? Old cruft can be dropped from meta-oe, just as it
is dropped from oe-core. Just ask the public if it's ok, set a timeframe,
and do it.

qt-mobility in particular has been dead for several years, and doesn't
even have official upstream tarballs anymore. Why spend time fixing it?

Alex

From: alexander.kanavin @ 2015-11-12 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jansa; +Cc: openembedded-devel, openembedded-core

@ 2015-11-12 18:59       ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2015-11-12 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alexander.kanavin; +Cc: openembedded-devel, openembedded-core

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 07:38:58PM +0200, alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com wrote:
> > There is already enough meta-oe bloat moved from oe-core:
> >
> > http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2015-November/112665.html
> >
> > WARN: qt-mobility-embedded: qt-mobility-embedded rdepends on glib-2.0, but
> > it isn't a build dependency?
>
> If increasing bloat is a problem, why do recipes in meta-oe need to be
> maintained indefinitely? Old cruft can be dropped from meta-oe, just as it
> is dropped from oe-core. Just ask the public if it's ok, set a timeframe,
> and do it.
>
> qt-mobility in particular has been dead for several years, and doesn't
> even have official upstream tarballs anymore. Why spend time fixing it?

That's why there is increasing number of PNBLACKLISTs with each release.

From: Martin Jansa @ 2015-11-12 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alexander.kanavin; +Cc: openembedded-devel, openembedded-core

@ 2015-11-12 19:08     ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2015-11-12 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin; +Cc: openembedded-devel, openembedded-core

On Thursday 12 November 2015 18:03:27 Andreas Müller wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 5:45 PM,  <alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > now that 2.0 is out, it's time to move the Qt4 recipes out of oe-core.
> > This has been discussed previously here:
> > http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2015-June/106355
> > .html
> >
> > I'm not sure where the recipes should land, and want to ask your opinion.
> > The options are:
> > 1) Make a new layer, meta-qt4, under meta-openembedded tree. Move also
> > everything in meta-oe/recipes-qt (and possibly other spots) to that layer.
> > This is somewhat more disruptive to people's layer configurations, but
> > would clearly separate qt4, and slim down meta-oe.
> >
> > 2) Simply move the qt4 recipes from oe-core to meta-oe/recipes-qt, so they
> > will be next to all the qt4-based software. This is less disruptive, but
> > adds bloat to meta-oe.
> >
> > Preferences?
>
> 1) or even better in a separate repo

To be honest, I had anticipated this being a separate meta-qt4 repo myself. It
would be consistent with what has been done with Qt 5 and much earlier with
Qt 3.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

From: Paul Eggleton @ 2015-11-12 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin; +Cc: openembedded-devel, openembedded-core

On Thursday 12 November 2015 18:03:27 Andreas Müller wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 5:45 PM,  <alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > now that 2.0 is out, it's time to move the Qt4 recipes out of oe-core.
> > This has been discussed previously here:
> > http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2015-June/106355
> > .html
> >
> > I'm not sure where the recipes should land, and want to ask your opinion.
> > The options are:
> > 1) Make a new layer, meta-qt4, under meta-openembedded tree. Move also
> > everything in meta-oe/recipes-qt (and possibly other spots) to that layer.
> > This is somewhat more disruptive to people's layer configurations, but
> > would clearly separate qt4, and slim down meta-oe.
> >
> > 2) Simply move the qt4 recipes from oe-core to meta-oe/recipes-qt, so they
> > will be next to all the qt4-based software. This is less disruptive, but
> > adds bloat to meta-oe.
> >
> > Preferences?
>
> 1) or even better in a separate repo

To be honest, I had anticipated this being a separate meta-qt4 repo myself. It
would be consistent with what has been done with Qt 5 and much earlier with
Qt 3.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: [oe] qt4 moves out of oe-core - to meta-qt4, or to meta-oe?
@ 2015-11-13 11:39       ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2015-11-13 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenEmbedded Devel List; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 5:08 PM, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 12 November 2015 18:03:27 Andreas Müller wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 5:45 PM,  <alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > now that 2.0 is out, it's time to move the Qt4 recipes out of oe-core.
>> > This has been discussed previously here:
>> > http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2015-June/106355
>> > .html
>> >
>> > I'm not sure where the recipes should land, and want to ask your opinion.
>> > The options are:
>> > 1) Make a new layer, meta-qt4, under meta-openembedded tree. Move also
>> > everything in meta-oe/recipes-qt (and possibly other spots) to that layer.
>> > This is somewhat more disruptive to people's layer configurations, but
>> > would clearly separate qt4, and slim down meta-oe.
>> >
>> > 2) Simply move the qt4 recipes from oe-core to meta-oe/recipes-qt, so they
>> > will be next to all the qt4-based software. This is less disruptive, but
>> > adds bloat to meta-oe.
>> >
>> > Preferences?
>>
>> 1) or even better in a separate repo
>
> To be honest, I had anticipated this being a separate meta-qt4 repo myself. It
> would be consistent with what has been done with Qt 5 and much earlier with
> Qt 3.

Agreed.

From: Otavio Salvador @ 2015-11-13 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenEmbedded Devel List; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 5:08 PM, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 12 November 2015 18:03:27 Andreas Müller wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 5:45 PM,  <alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > now that 2.0 is out, it's time to move the Qt4 recipes out of oe-core.
>> > This has been discussed previously here:
>> > http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2015-June/106355
>> > .html
>> >
>> > I'm not sure where the recipes should land, and want to ask your opinion.
>> > The options are:
>> > 1) Make a new layer, meta-qt4, under meta-openembedded tree. Move also
>> > everything in meta-oe/recipes-qt (and possibly other spots) to that layer.
>> > This is somewhat more disruptive to people's layer configurations, but
>> > would clearly separate qt4, and slim down meta-oe.
>> >
>> > 2) Simply move the qt4 recipes from oe-core to meta-oe/recipes-qt, so they
>> > will be next to all the qt4-based software. This is less disruptive, but
>> > adds bloat to meta-oe.
>> >
>> > Preferences?
>>
>> 1) or even better in a separate repo
>
> To be honest, I had anticipated this being a separate meta-qt4 repo myself. It
> would be consistent with what has been done with Qt 5 and much earlier with
> Qt 3.

Agreed.

* Re: [oe] qt4 moves out of oe-core - to meta-qt4, or to meta-oe?
@ 2015-11-13 11:46         ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2015-11-13 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 09:39:15AM -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 5:08 PM, Paul Eggleton
> <paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> >> 1) or even better in a separate repo
> >
> > To be honest, I had anticipated this being a separate meta-qt4 repo myself. It
> > would be consistent with what has been done with Qt 5 and much earlier with
> > Qt 3.
>
> Agreed.

I'm also fine with separate layer.

Even better for me, I'll be less tempted to include it in my world
builds and to fix qt-mobility-* issues.

From: Martin Jansa @ 2015-11-13 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

@ 2015-11-16  9:43           ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2015-11-16  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 11/13/2015 01:46 PM, Martin Jansa wrote:

>>> To be honest, I had anticipated this being a separate meta-qt4 repo myself. It
>>> would be consistent with what has been done with Qt 5 and much earlier with
>>> Qt 3.
>>
>> Agreed.
>
> I'm also fine with separate layer.
>
> Even better for me, I'll be less tempted to include it in my world
> builds and to fix qt-mobility-* issues.

Making a separate repository with this layer is even more disruptive,
and complicates administration and maintenance. I'm not going to handle
those. So I'll make a meta-qt4 layer under meta-oe, and it's fine if
there is no official maintainer or ongoing build testing for it at least
until someone volunteers to pick it up.

Alex

From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2015-11-16  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

@ 2015-11-16 10:07             ` Andreas Oberritter
From: Andreas Oberritter @ 2015-11-16 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin, openembedded-devel,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 16.11.2015 10:43, Alexander Kanavin wrote:

>>> Agreed.
>>
>> I'm also fine with separate layer.
>>
>> Even better for me, I'll be less tempted to include it in my world
>> builds and to fix qt-mobility-* issues.
>
> Making a separate repository with this layer is even more disruptive,
> and complicates administration and maintenance. I'm not going to handle
> those. So I'll make a meta-qt4 layer under meta-oe, and it's fine if
> there is no official maintainer or ongoing build testing for it at least
> until someone volunteers to pick it up.

Basically everyone agreed on moving qt4 to its own repo. And your
conclusion is to ignore that and move qt4 to meta-openembedded, already
expecting bitrot?

Regards,

From: Andreas Oberritter @ 2015-11-16 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin, openembedded-devel,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

>>> Agreed.
>>
>> I'm also fine with separate layer.
>>
>> Even better for me, I'll be less tempted to include it in my world
>> builds and to fix qt-mobility-* issues.
>
> Making a separate repository with this layer is even more disruptive,
> and complicates administration and maintenance. I'm not going to handle
> those. So I'll make a meta-qt4 layer under meta-oe, and it's fine if
> there is no official maintainer or ongoing build testing for it at least
> until someone volunteers to pick it up.

Basically everyone agreed on moving qt4 to its own repo. And your
conclusion is to ignore that and move qt4 to meta-openembedded, already
expecting bitrot?

Regards,
Andreas

* volunteers for meta-qt4 repo maintenance?
  (?)
@ 2015-11-16 10:26             ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2015-11-16 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Oberritter, openembedded-devel,

On 11/16/2015 12:07 PM, Andreas Oberritter wrote:
>> Making a separate repository with this layer is even more disruptive,
>> and complicates administration and maintenance. I'm not going to handle
>> those. So I'll make a meta-qt4 layer under meta-oe, and it's fine if
>> there is no official maintainer or ongoing build testing for it at least
>> until someone volunteers to pick it up.
>
> Basically everyone agreed on moving qt4 to its own repo. And your
> conclusion is to ignore that and move qt4 to meta-openembedded, already
> expecting bitrot?

Are you willing to be the maintainer of that separate repo? So far no
one has stepped up for this job. In this situation, it's better to keep
the recipes under meta-openembedded tree and mark them as unmaintained.

I'll ask this explicitly - any volunteers for a separate meta-qt4
repository and layer maintenance?

Alex

* Re: [oe] qt4 moves out of oe-core - to meta-qt4, or to meta-oe?
@ 2015-11-16 10:37         ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2015-11-16 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenEmbedded Devel List; +Cc: OE-core

On 12 November 2015 at 18:59, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > There is already enough meta-oe bloat moved from oe-core:
> > >

> http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2015-November/112665.html
> > >
> > > WARN: qt-mobility-embedded: qt-mobility-embedded rdepends on glib-2.0,
> but
> > > it isn't a build dependency?
> >
> > If increasing bloat is a problem, why do recipes in meta-oe need to be
> > maintained indefinitely? Old cruft can be dropped from meta-oe, just as
> it
> > is dropped from oe-core. Just ask the public if it's ok, set a timeframe,
> > and do it.
> >
> > qt-mobility in particular has been dead for several years, and doesn't
> > even have official upstream tarballs anymore. Why spend time fixing it?
>
> That's why there is increasing number of PNBLACKLISTs with each release.

The recipes were removed from oe-core as they're dead upstream, and
basically as a courtesy moved to meta-oe so anyone still using dead
software can still build it.  If they're just bitrotting and literally
nobody is using the recipes then they should be removed: meta-oe isn't a
historical archive that you're expected to maintain for the next decade.

Ross

From: Burton, Ross @ 2015-11-16 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenEmbedded Devel List; +Cc: OE-core

@ 2015-11-16 11:20             ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2015-11-16 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin
  Cc: OpenEmbedded Devel List, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 7:43 AM, Alexander Kanavin
<alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com> wrote:

>>> Agreed.
>>

>> I'm also fine with separate layer.
>>
>> Even better for me, I'll be less tempted to include it in my world
>> builds and to fix qt-mobility-* issues.
>

> Making a separate repository with this layer is even more disruptive, and
> complicates administration and maintenance. I'm not going to handle those.
> So I'll make a meta-qt4 layer under meta-oe, and it's fine if there is no
> official maintainer or ongoing build testing for it at least until someone
> volunteers to pick it up.

I will nack the patch to include it onto meta-oe; I also guess that
Martin will also nack it.

Make it another layer as suggested, please.

From: Otavio Salvador @ 2015-11-16 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin
  Cc: OpenEmbedded Devel List, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

@ 2015-11-16 11:23               ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2015-11-16 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador
  Cc: OpenEmbedded Devel List, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 11/16/2015 01:20 PM, Otavio Salvador wrote:

>> Making a separate repository with this layer is even more disruptive, and
>> complicates administration and maintenance. I'm not going to handle those.
>> So I'll make a meta-qt4 layer under meta-oe, and it's fine if there is no
>> official maintainer or ongoing build testing for it at least until someone
>> volunteers to pick it up.
>
> I will nack the patch to include it onto meta-oe; I also guess that
> Martin will also nack it.
>
> Make it another layer as suggested, please.

A separate layer under meta-openembedded or a separate repository with
the layer? Please be clear.

Alex

From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2015-11-16 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador
  Cc: OpenEmbedded Devel List, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

@ 2015-11-16 11:24                 ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2015-11-16 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin
  Cc: OpenEmbedded Devel List, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Alexander Kanavin
<alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On 11/16/2015 01:20 PM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>
>>> Making a separate repository with this layer is even more disruptive, and
>>> complicates administration and maintenance. I'm not going to handle
>>> those.
>>> So I'll make a meta-qt4 layer under meta-oe, and it's fine if there is no
>>> official maintainer or ongoing build testing for it at least until
>>> someone
>>> volunteers to pick it up.
>>

>> I will nack the patch to include it onto meta-oe; I also guess that
>> Martin will also nack it.
>>
>> Make it another layer as suggested, please.
>

> A separate layer under meta-openembedded or a separate repository with the
> layer? Please be clear.

Another repository.

From: Otavio Salvador @ 2015-11-16 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin
  Cc: OpenEmbedded Devel List, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Alexander Kanavin
<alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On 11/16/2015 01:20 PM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>
>>> Making a separate repository with this layer is even more disruptive, and
>>> complicates administration and maintenance. I'm not going to handle
>>> those.
>>> So I'll make a meta-qt4 layer under meta-oe, and it's fine if there is no
>>> official maintainer or ongoing build testing for it at least until
>>> someone
>>> volunteers to pick it up.
>>

>> I will nack the patch to include it onto meta-oe; I also guess that
>> Martin will also nack it.
>>
>> Make it another layer as suggested, please.
>

> A separate layer under meta-openembedded or a separate repository with the
> layer? Please be clear.

Another repository.

* Re: [oe] qt4 moves out of oe-core - to meta-qt4, or to meta-oe?
@ 2015-11-16 17:10                   ` akuster808
From: akuster808 @ 2015-11-16 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel, Alexander Kanavin
  Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 11/16/2015 03:24 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Alexander Kanavin
> <alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com> wrote:

>>> I will nack the patch to include it onto meta-oe; I also guess that
>>> Martin will also nack it.
>>>
>>> Make it another layer as suggested, please.
>>

>> A separate layer under meta-openembedded or a separate repository with the
>> layer? Please be clear.
>
> Another repository.

Agree with a separate repo. It clarifies our intention and implies nothing.

From: akuster808 @ 2015-11-16 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel, Alexander Kanavin
  Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

@ 2015-11-16 17:39                     ` Mark Hatle
From: Mark Hatle @ 2015-11-16 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akuster808, openembedded-devel, Alexander Kanavin
  Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 11/16/15 11:10 AM, akuster808 wrote:

> On 11/16/2015 03:24 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Alexander Kanavin
>> <alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com> wrote:

>>> A separate layer under meta-openembedded or a separate repository with the
>>> layer? Please be clear.
>>
>> Another repository.
>
> Agree with a separate repo. It clarifies our intention and implies nothing.

I'm fine with a separate repo as well.  Then whomever still needs it can work
with it as necessary.

--Mark

From: Mark Hatle @ 2015-11-16 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akuster808, openembedded-devel, Alexander Kanavin
  Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 11/16/15 11:10 AM, akuster808 wrote:

> On 11/16/2015 03:24 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Alexander Kanavin
>> <alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com> wrote:

>>> A separate layer under meta-openembedded or a separate repository with the
>>> layer? Please be clear.
>>
>> Another repository.
>
> Agree with a separate repo. It clarifies our intention and implies nothing.

I'm fine with a separate repo as well.  Then whomever still needs it can work
with it as necessary.

--Mark

* Re: volunteers for meta-qt4 repo maintenance?
@ 2015-11-18 22:08                 ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2015-11-18 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core, Alexander Kanavin; +Cc: openembedded-devel

On Monday 16 November 2015 12:26:05 Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> On 11/16/2015 12:07 PM, Andreas Oberritter wrote:
> >> Making a separate repository with this layer is even more disruptive,
> >> and complicates administration and maintenance. I'm not going to handle
> >> those. So I'll make a meta-qt4 layer under meta-oe, and it's fine if
> >> there is no official maintainer or ongoing build testing for it at least
> >> until someone volunteers to pick it up.
> >
> > Basically everyone agreed on moving qt4 to its own repo. And your
> > conclusion is to ignore that and move qt4 to meta-openembedded, already
> > expecting bitrot?
>
> Are you willing to be the maintainer of that separate repo? So far no
> one has stepped up for this job. In this situation, it's better to keep
> the recipes under meta-openembedded tree and mark them as unmaintained.
>
> I'll ask this explicitly - any volunteers for a separate meta-qt4
> repository and layer maintenance?

Put my name against it if you need a name - no promises on how active I'll be
though. I will definitely volunteer to do the initial move-out and repo
creation so you wouldn't need to do anything.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: [OE-core] volunteers for meta-qt4 repo maintenance?
@ 2015-11-18 22:08                 ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2015-11-18 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core, Alexander Kanavin; +Cc: openembedded-devel