* [linux-dvb] Some tests on Avermedia A700
@ 2008-02-09 15:34 Eduard Huguet
From: Eduard Huguet @ 2008-02-09 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-dvb, Matthias Schwarzott

Hi, Matthias
    I've been performing some tests using your patch for this card.
Right now neither dvbscan nor kaffeine are able to find any channel on
Astra (the sat. my dish points to).

However, Kaffeine has been giving me some interesting results: with your
driver "as is" it's getting me a 13-14% signal level and ~52% SNR when
scanning. Then, thinking that the problem is related to the low signal I
have I've changed the gain levels used to program the tuner: you were
using default values of 0 for all (in zl1003x_set_gain_params()
function, variables "rfg", "ba" and "bg"), and I've changed them top the
maximum (according to the documentation: rfg=1, ba=bg=3). With that, I'm
getting a 18% signal level, which is higher but still too low apparently
to get a lock.

I've stopped here, because I really don't have the necessary background
to keep tweaking the driver. I just wanted to share it with you, as
maybe you have some idea on how to continue or what else could be done.

Best regards,
  Eduard

PD: the satelite dish is on the top of the building and it's shared
(this is a 15-floor building). This is probably the reason I get a
signal that low. Anyway, I think I still should be able to use the card,
but maybe I'm wrong and I need to pre-amplify the signal.

* Re: [linux-dvb] Some tests on Avermedia A700
@ 2008-02-09 21:14 ` Matthias Schwarzott
From: Matthias Schwarzott @ 2008-02-09 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduard Huguet; +Cc: linux-dvb

On Samstag, 9. Februar 2008, Eduard Huguet wrote:
> Hi, Matthias
Hi Eduard!

>     I've been performing some tests using your patch for this card.
> Right now neither dvbscan nor kaffeine are able to find any channel on
> Astra (the sat. my dish points to).
>
> However, Kaffeine has been giving me some interesting results: with your
> driver "as is" it's getting me a 13-14% signal level and ~52% SNR when
> scanning. Then, thinking that the problem is related to the low signal I
> have I've changed the gain levels used to program the tuner: you were
> using default values of 0 for all (in zl1003x_set_gain_params()
> function, variables "rfg", "ba" and "bg"), and I've changed them top the
> maximum (according to the documentation: rfg=1, ba=bg=3). With that, I'm
> getting a 18% signal level, which is higher but still too low apparently
> to get a lock.
>
> I've stopped here, because I really don't have the necessary background
> to keep tweaking the driver. I just wanted to share it with you, as
> maybe you have some idea on how to continue or what else could be done.

So I can do only this guess:
I changed demod driver to invert the Polarization voltage for a700 card.
This is controlled by member-variable voltage_inverted.

static struct mt312_config avertv_a700_mt312 = {
        .demod_address = 0x0e,
        .voltage_inverted = 1,
};

Can you try to comment the voltage_inverted line here (saa7134-dvb.c: line
865).

BUT: If this helps we need to find out how to detect which card needs this
enabled/disabled.

Regards
Matthias

--
Matthias Schwarzott (zzam)

* Re: [linux-dvb] Some tests on Avermedia A700
@ 2008-02-10 10:20   ` Eduard Huguet
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Eduard Huguet @ 2008-02-10 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Schwarzott; +Cc: linux-dvb

En/na Matthias Schwarzott ha escrit:
> On Samstag, 9. Februar 2008, Eduard Huguet wrote:
>
>> Hi, Matthias
>>
> Hi Eduard!
>

>>     I've been performing some tests using your patch for this card.
>> Right now neither dvbscan nor kaffeine are able to find any channel on
>> Astra (the sat. my dish points to).
>>
>> However, Kaffeine has been giving me some interesting results: with your
>> driver "as is" it's getting me a 13-14% signal level and ~52% SNR when
>> scanning. Then, thinking that the problem is related to the low signal I
>> have I've changed the gain levels used to program the tuner: you were
>> using default values of 0 for all (in zl1003x_set_gain_params()
>> function, variables "rfg", "ba" and "bg"), and I've changed them top the
>> maximum (according to the documentation: rfg=1, ba=bg=3). With that, I'm
>> getting a 18% signal level, which is higher but still too low apparently
>> to get a lock.
>>
>> I've stopped here, because I really don't have the necessary background
>> to keep tweaking the driver. I just wanted to share it with you, as
>> maybe you have some idea on how to continue or what else could be done.
>>

> So I can do only this guess:
> I changed demod driver to invert the Polarization voltage for a700 card.
> This is controlled by member-variable voltage_inverted.
>
> static struct mt312_config avertv_a700_mt312 = {
>         .demod_address = 0x0e,
>         .voltage_inverted = 1,
> };
>
> Can you try to comment the voltage_inverted line here (saa7134-dvb.c: line
> 865).
>
> BUT: If this helps we need to find out how to detect which card needs this
> enabled/disabled.
>
> Regards
> Matthias

Hi,
  Nothing :(. Removing (or setting it to 0) the voltage_inverted member
doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm starting to suspect that there
is something wrong with my antennae setup, so I'll test it later using
an standalone STB or by plugging the card into a Windows computer and
using the supplied drivers.

Regards,
  Eduard

* Re: [linux-dvb] Some tests on Avermedia A700
@ 2008-02-11  9:18     ` Eduard Huguet
From: Eduard Huguet @ 2008-02-11  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Schwarzott; +Cc: linux-dvb

En/na Eduard Huguet ha escrit:
> En/na Matthias Schwarzott ha escrit:
>> On Samstag, 9. Februar 2008, Eduard Huguet wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Matthias
>>>
>> Hi Eduard!
>>

>>>     I've been performing some tests using your patch for this card.
>>> Right now neither dvbscan nor kaffeine are able to find any channel on
>>> Astra (the sat. my dish points to).
>>>
>>> However, Kaffeine has been giving me some interesting results: with your
>>> driver "as is" it's getting me a 13-14% signal level and ~52% SNR when
>>> scanning. Then, thinking that the problem is related to the low signal I
>>> have I've changed the gain levels used to program the tuner: you were
>>> using default values of 0 for all (in zl1003x_set_gain_params()
>>> function, variables "rfg", "ba" and "bg"), and I've changed them top the
>>> maximum (according to the documentation: rfg=1, ba=bg=3). With that, I'm
>>> getting a 18% signal level, which is higher but still too low apparently
>>> to get a lock.
>>>
>>> I've stopped here, because I really don't have the necessary background
>>> to keep tweaking the driver. I just wanted to share it with you, as
>>> maybe you have some idea on how to continue or what else could be done.
>>>

>> So I can do only this guess:
>> I changed demod driver to invert the Polarization voltage for a700 card.
>> This is controlled by member-variable voltage_inverted.
>>
>> static struct mt312_config avertv_a700_mt312 = {
>>         .demod_address = 0x0e,
>>         .voltage_inverted = 1,
>> };
>>
>> Can you try to comment the voltage_inverted line here (saa7134-dvb.c: line
>> 865).
>>
>> BUT: If this helps we need to find out how to detect which card needs this
>> enabled/disabled.
>>
>> Regards
>> Matthias
>>

> Hi,
>   Nothing :(. Removing (or setting it to 0) the voltage_inverted
> member doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm starting to suspect
> that there is something wrong with my antennae setup, so I'll test it
> later using an standalone STB or by plugging the card into a Windows
> computer and using the supplied drivers.
>
> Regards,
>   Eduard

Hi again...
    Just some more feedback: I've unplugged the card and put it onto a
different PC running both Windows and Gentoo. In Windows the card runs
perfectly, I can see all the (free) channels, so I can be sure there's
no problem with my antennae setup.

In Linux it doesn't work, neither in this PC (P4 running Gentoo 32) nor
in the mediacenter PC (AMD AthlonXP running Gentoo 64). It seems we are
missing something fundamental here... :(

Best regards,
  Eduard

* Re: [linux-dvb] Some tests on Avermedia A700
@ 2008-02-11  9:20     ` Eduard Huguet
From: Eduard Huguet @ 2008-02-11  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Schwarzott; +Cc: linux-dvb

En/na Eduard Huguet ha escrit:
> En/na Matthias Schwarzott ha escrit:
>> On Samstag, 9. Februar 2008, Eduard Huguet wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Matthias
>>>
>> Hi Eduard!
>>

>>>     I've been performing some tests using your patch for this card.
>>> Right now neither dvbscan nor kaffeine are able to find any channel on
>>> Astra (the sat. my dish points to).
>>>
>>> However, Kaffeine has been giving me some interesting results: with your
>>> driver "as is" it's getting me a 13-14% signal level and ~52% SNR when
>>> scanning. Then, thinking that the problem is related to the low signal I
>>> have I've changed the gain levels used to program the tuner: you were
>>> using default values of 0 for all (in zl1003x_set_gain_params()
>>> function, variables "rfg", "ba" and "bg"), and I've changed them top the
>>> maximum (according to the documentation: rfg=1, ba=bg=3). With that, I'm
>>> getting a 18% signal level, which is higher but still too low apparently
>>> to get a lock.
>>>
>>> I've stopped here, because I really don't have the necessary background
>>> to keep tweaking the driver. I just wanted to share it with you, as
>>> maybe you have some idea on how to continue or what else could be done.
>>>

>> So I can do only this guess:
>> I changed demod driver to invert the Polarization voltage for a700 card.
>> This is controlled by member-variable voltage_inverted.
>>
>> static struct mt312_config avertv_a700_mt312 = {
>>         .demod_address = 0x0e,
>>         .voltage_inverted = 1,
>> };
>>
>> Can you try to comment the voltage_inverted line here (saa7134-dvb.c: line
>> 865).
>>
>> BUT: If this helps we need to find out how to detect which card needs this
>> enabled/disabled.
>>
>> Regards
>> Matthias
>>

> Hi,
>   Nothing :(. Removing (or setting it to 0) the voltage_inverted
> member doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm starting to suspect
> that there is something wrong with my antennae setup, so I'll test it
> later using an standalone STB or by plugging the card into a Windows
> computer and using the supplied drivers.
>
> Regards,
>   Eduard

By the way (sorry if I'm being molest...): I will leave the card in this
PC for now, as it's easier fo me to test and develop. As I have also
Windows here ¿is there any way we could do any reverse enginnering from
Windows driver, etc...?

Regards,
  Eduard

* Re: [linux-dvb] Some tests on Avermedia A700
@ 2008-02-12 21:08       ` Matthias Schwarzott
From: Matthias Schwarzott @ 2008-02-12 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduard Huguet; +Cc: linux-dvb

On Monday 11 February 2008, you wrote:
> En/na Eduard Huguet ha escrit:
> >>
> >> Hi Eduard!

> >> So I can do only this guess:
> >> I changed demod driver to invert the Polarization voltage for a700 card.
> >> This is controlled by member-variable voltage_inverted.
> >>
> >> static struct mt312_config avertv_a700_mt312 = {
> >>         .demod_address = 0x0e,
> >>         .voltage_inverted = 1,
> >> };
> >>
> >> Can you try to comment the voltage_inverted line here (saa7134-dvb.c:
> >> line 865).
> >>
> >> BUT: If this helps we need to find out how to detect which card needs
> >> this enabled/disabled.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Matthias
> >
> > Hi,
> >   Nothing :(. Removing (or setting it to 0) the voltage_inverted
> > member doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm starting to suspect
> > that there is something wrong with my antennae setup, so I'll test it
> > later using an standalone STB or by plugging the card into a Windows
> > computer and using the supplied drivers.
> >
> > Regards,
> >   Eduard
>
> By the way (sorry if I'm being molest...): I will leave the card in this
> PC for now, as it's easier fo me to test and develop. As I have also
> Windows here ¿is there any way we could do any reverse enginnering from
> Windows driver, etc...?

I already asked you to compare eeprom output in dmesg. But did you also
compare GPIO messages - like init-values read after startup (to detect
different wiring)?
This is from my dmesg output: "saa7133[0]: board init: gpio is a600"

Or just attach dmesg output after a cold boot and loading saa7134 driver (with
i2c_scan=1).

Maybe I create a patch where you can select the other existing zl10313 driver.
So we can compare the logs / functionality.

Matthias

--
Matthias Schwarzott (zzam)

* Re: [linux-dvb] Some tests on Avermedia A700
@ 2008-02-13 12:23         ` Eduard Huguet
From: Eduard Huguet @ 2008-02-13 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Schwarzott; +Cc: linux-dvb

En/na Matthias Schwarzott ha escrit:
> On Monday 11 February 2008, you wrote:
>
>> En/na Eduard Huguet ha escrit:
>>
>>> En/na Matthias Schwarzott ha escrit:

>>> Hi,
>>>   Nothing :(. Removing (or setting it to 0) the voltage_inverted
>>> member doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm starting to suspect
>>> that there is something wrong with my antennae setup, so I'll test it
>>> later using an standalone STB or by plugging the card into a Windows
>>> computer and using the supplied drivers.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>   Eduard
>>>
>> By the way (sorry if I'm being molest...): I will leave the card in this
>> PC for now, as it's easier fo me to test and develop. As I have also
>> Windows here ¿is there any way we could do any reverse enginnering from
>> Windows driver, etc...?
>>

> I already asked you to compare eeprom output in dmesg. But did you also
> compare GPIO messages - like init-values read after startup (to detect
> different wiring)?
> This is from my dmesg output: "saa7133[0]: board init: gpio is a600"
>
> Or just attach dmesg output after a cold boot and loading saa7134 driver (with
> i2c_scan=1).
>
> Maybe I create a patch where you can select the other existing zl10313 driver.
> So we can compare the logs / functionality.
>
> Matthias

Hi,
    Here you have the dmesg output of "modprobe saa7134 i2c_scan=1":

[  773.619247] saa7133[0]: found at 0000:00:09.0, rev: 209, irq: 23,
latency: 64, mmio: 0xf7ffa800
[  773.619258] saa7133[0]: subsystem: 1461:a7a1, board: Avermedia A700
[card=132,autodetected]
[  773.619273] saa7133[0]: board init: gpio is 2f200
[  773.865218] saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 00: 61 14 a1 a7 ff ff ff ff ff ff
ff ff ff ff ff ff
[  773.865270] saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 10: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
ff ff ff ff ff ff
[  773.865312] saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 20: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
ff ff ff ff ff ff
[  773.865351] saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 30: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
ff ff ff ff ff ff
[  773.865393] saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 40: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
ff ff ff ff ff ff
[  773.865433] saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 50: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
ff ff ff ff ff ff
[  773.865459] saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 60: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
ff ff ff ff ff ff
[  773.865702] saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 70: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
ff ff ff ff ff ff
[  773.865727] saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 80: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
ff ff ff ff ff ff
[  773.865753] saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom 90: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
ff ff ff ff ff ff
[  773.865780] saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom a0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
ff ff ff ff ff ff
[  773.865810] saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom b0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
ff ff ff ff ff ff
[  773.865840] saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom c0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
ff ff ff ff ff ff
[  773.865868] saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom d0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
ff ff ff ff ff ff
[  773.865897] saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom e0: 00 01 81 af ea b5 ff ff ff ff
ff ff ff ff ff ff
[  773.865923] saa7133[0]: i2c eeprom f0: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
ff ff ff ff ff ff
[  773.870157] saa7133[0]: i2c scan: found device @ 0x1c  [???]
[  773.883118] saa7133[0]: i2c scan: found device @ 0xa0  [eeprom]
[  773.891907] saa7133[0]: registered device video0 [v4l2]
[  773.892250] saa7133[0]: registered device vbi0
[  774.011780] zl1003x_attach: tuner initialization (Zarlink ZL10036
addr=0x60) ok
[  774.011805] DVB: registering new adapter (saa7133[0])
[  774.011819] DVB: registering frontend 0 (Zarlink ZL10313 DVB-S)...

These are the results of "lspci -vvnn" (after loading the driver):

00:09.0 Multimedia controller [0480]: Philips Semiconductors
SAA7133/SAA7135 Video Broadcast Decoder [1131:7133] (rev d1)
        Subsystem: Avermedia Technologies Inc Unknown device [1461:a7a1]
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Kernel driver in use: saa7134
        Kernel modules: saa7134

If you need anything else just let me know.
Regards,
  Eduard

* Re: [linux-dvb] Some tests on Avermedia A700
@ 2008-02-13 13:29           ` Matthias Schwarzott
From: Matthias Schwarzott @ 2008-02-13 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduard Huguet; +Cc: linux-dvb

On Mittwoch, 13. Februar 2008, Eduard Huguet wrote:
> [...]
> ff ff ff ff ff ff
> [  773.870157] saa7133[0]: i2c scan: found device @ 0x1c  [???]
> [  773.883118] saa7133[0]: i2c scan: found device @ 0xa0  [eeprom]
> [  773.891907] saa7133[0]: registered device video0 [v4l2]
> [  773.892250] saa7133[0]: registered device vbi0
> [  774.011780] zl1003x_attach: tuner initialization (Zarlink ZL10036
> addr=0x60) ok
> [  774.011805] DVB: registering new adapter (saa7133[0])
> [  774.011819] DVB: registering frontend 0 (Zarlink ZL10313 DVB-S)...
>

> These are the results of "lspci -vvnn" (after loading the driver):
>
> 00:09.0 Multimedia controller [0480]: Philips Semiconductors
> SAA7133/SAA7135 Video Broadcast Decoder [1131:7133] (rev d1)
>         Subsystem: Avermedia Technologies Inc Unknown device [1461:a7a1]
>         Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
> ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-

added note about different gpio values and eeprom content to wiki.

Regards
Matthias
--
Matthias Schwarzott (zzam)

* Re: [linux-dvb] Some tests on Avermedia A700
@ 2008-02-13 13:33     ` Matthias Schwarzott
From: Matthias Schwarzott @ 2008-02-13 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduard Huguet; +Cc: linux-dvb

On Sonntag, 10. Februar 2008, Eduard Huguet wrote:
> En/na Matthias Schwarzott ha escrit:
> > On Samstag, 9. Februar 2008, Eduard Huguet wrote:
> >> Hi, Matthias
> >
> > Hi Eduard!
> >
> >>     I've been performing some tests using your patch for this card.
> >> Right now neither dvbscan nor kaffeine are able to find any channel on
> >> Astra (the sat. my dish points to).
> >>
> >> However, Kaffeine has been giving me some interesting results: with your
> >> driver "as is" it's getting me a 13-14% signal level and ~52% SNR when
> >> scanning. Then, thinking that the problem is related to the low signal I
> >> have I've changed the gain levels used to program the tuner: you were
> >> using default values of 0 for all (in zl1003x_set_gain_params()
> >> function, variables "rfg", "ba" and "bg"), and I've changed them top the
> >> maximum (according to the documentation: rfg=1, ba=bg=3). With that, I'm
> >> getting a 18% signal level, which is higher but still too low apparently
> >> to get a lock.
> >>
> >> I've stopped here, because I really don't have the necessary background
> >> to keep tweaking the driver. I just wanted to share it with you, as
> >> maybe you have some idea on how to continue or what else could be done.
> >
> > So I can do only this guess:
> > I changed demod driver to invert the Polarization voltage for a700 card.
> > This is controlled by member-variable voltage_inverted.
> >
> > static struct mt312_config avertv_a700_mt312 = {
> >         .demod_address = 0x0e,
> >         .voltage_inverted = 1,
> > };
> >
> > Can you try to comment the voltage_inverted line here (saa7134-dvb.c:
> > line 865).
> >
> > BUT: If this helps we need to find out how to detect which card needs
> > this enabled/disabled.
> >
> > Regards
> > Matthias
>
> Hi,
>   Nothing :(. Removing (or setting it to 0) the voltage_inverted member
> doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm starting to suspect that there
> is something wrong with my antennae setup, so I'll test it later using
> an standalone STB or by plugging the card into a Windows computer and
> using the supplied drivers.

Even better: Tune to a channel and measure the voltage the card outputs on LNB
connector.

Regards
Matthias

--
Matthias Schwarzott (zzam)

* Re: [linux-dvb] Some tests on Avermedia A700
@ 2008-02-13 15:37       ` Eduard Huguet
From: Eduard Huguet @ 2008-02-13 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Schwarzott; +Cc: linux-dvb

En/na Matthias Schwarzott ha escrit:
> On Sonntag, 10. Februar 2008, Eduard Huguet wrote:

>>> Hi Eduard!

>>> So I can do only this guess:
>>> I changed demod driver to invert the Polarization voltage for a700 card.
>>> This is controlled by member-variable voltage_inverted.
>>>
>>> static struct mt312_config avertv_a700_mt312 = {
>>>         .demod_address = 0x0e,
>>>         .voltage_inverted = 1,
>>> };
>>>
>>> Can you try to comment the voltage_inverted line here (saa7134-dvb.c:
>>> line 865).
>>>
>>> BUT: If this helps we need to find out how to detect which card needs
>>> this enabled/disabled.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Matthias
>>>
>> Hi,
>>   Nothing :(. Removing (or setting it to 0) the voltage_inverted member
>> doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm starting to suspect that there
>> is something wrong with my antennae setup, so I'll test it later using
>> an standalone STB or by plugging the card into a Windows computer and
>> using the supplied drivers.
>>

> Even better: Tune to a channel and measure the voltage the card outputs on LNB
> connector.
>
> Regards
> Matthias

Oops :D. Could you please elaborate a bit on this? I don't know what is
the LNB connector you are referring to. Plus, I don't have right now any
voltimeter, but if needed I'll grab one from work tomorrow.

Regards,
  Eduard

* Re: [linux-dvb] Some tests on Avermedia A700
@ 2008-02-13 15:51         ` Matthias Schwarzott
From: Matthias Schwarzott @ 2008-02-13 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduard Huguet; +Cc: linux-dvb

On Mittwoch, 13. Februar 2008, Eduard Huguet wrote:
> En/na Matthias Schwarzott ha escrit:
> > On Sonntag, 10. Februar 2008, Eduard Huguet wrote:
> >> En/na Matthias Schwarzott ha escrit:

> >> Hi,
> >>   Nothing :(. Removing (or setting it to 0) the voltage_inverted member
> >> doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm starting to suspect that there
> >> is something wrong with my antennae setup, so I'll test it later using
> >> an standalone STB or by plugging the card into a Windows computer and
> >> using the supplied drivers.
> >
> > Even better: Tune to a channel and measure the voltage the card outputs
> > on LNB connector.
> >
> > Regards
> > Matthias
>
> Oops :D. Could you please elaborate a bit on this? I don't know what is
> the LNB connector you are referring to. Plus, I don't have right now any
> voltimeter, but if needed I'll grab one from work tomorrow.

So, as I started playing with my A700 card, I discovered that the
input-connector on the card, where one attaches the coax-cable to the
lnb/dish, sent out wrong voltage.

13V / 18V was swapped. So I patched mt312 driver and added the setting
voltage_inverted to reverse it.
Instead of just guessing what happens it is interesting to just call the
dvb-apps example app set_voltage and measure what voltage the hw outputs.

Regards
Matthias

--
Matthias Schwarzott (zzam)

* Re: [linux-dvb] Some tests on Avermedia A700
@ 2008-02-13 16:03           ` Eduard Huguet
From: Eduard Huguet @ 2008-02-13 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Schwarzott; +Cc: linux-dvb

(remove previous for clarity...)

Oops :D. Could you please elaborate a bit on this? I don't know what is
>> the LNB connector you are referring to. Plus, I don't have right now any
>> voltimeter, but if needed I'll grab one from work tomorrow.
>>

> So, as I started playing with my A700 card, I discovered that the
> input-connector on the card, where one attaches the coax-cable to the
> lnb/dish, sent out wrong voltage.
>
> 13V / 18V was swapped. So I patched mt312 driver and added the setting
> voltage_inverted to reverse it.
> Instead of just guessing what happens it is interesting to just call the
> dvb-apps example app set_voltage and measure what voltage the hw outputs.
>
> Regards
> Matthias

OK, I don't know exactly what you mean, but I'll try to measure the
output voltage of the input connector. I think you mean this, don't you?

BTW, ¿where is the set_voltage app? I have media-tv/linuxtv-dvb-apps
package installed and there is nothing with that name...

Regards,
  Eduard

* Re: [linux-dvb] Some tests on Avermedia A700
@ 2008-02-17 19:40             ` Matthias Schwarzott
From: Matthias Schwarzott @ 2008-02-17 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduard Huguet; +Cc: linux-dvb

On Mittwoch, 13. Februar 2008, Eduard Huguet wrote:

> OK, I don't know exactly what you mean, but I'll try to measure the
> output voltage of the input connector. I think you mean this, don't you?
>
> BTW, ¿where is the set_voltage app? I have media-tv/linuxtv-dvb-apps
> package installed and there is nothing with that name...

Another thing you can try is:
Boot windows and look at the GPIO values. (See v4l wiki for how to do this
using regspy).

Use my latest diff, and try loading saa7134 with use_frontend=1 to use the
alternative zl10313 driver.

Regards
Matthias

--
Matthias Schwarzott (zzam)

* Re: [linux-dvb] Some tests on Avermedia A700
@ 2008-02-18 11:28               ` Eduard Huguet
From: Eduard Huguet @ 2008-02-18 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Schwarzott; +Cc: linux-dvb