* GRUB Faq
@ 2010-01-05  6:08 Bruce Dubbs
From: Bruce Dubbs @ 2010-01-05  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

I've been working on grub.texi and I notice a reference to
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.html.  I will change that to
grub-2-faq.en.html before I submit it.

I think we should come up with a new list of FAQs here and agree on the
answers.  I'll be glad to format it.

The current questions are:

Why do you need to rewrite GRUB?
What is the status of GRUB 2?

I would remove both of these and and start with:

I have questions about GRUB2!
What operating systems does GRUB2 support?
What hardware platforms does GRUB2 support?
How does GRUB2 differ from GRUB Legacy (GRUB1)?
How do I create a GRUB2 boot floppy?
How do I create a GRUB2 boot CD-ROM?

How are partitions specified? That seems to be very different from the
notation in my operating system...

How do I uninstall GRUB2 from my hard disk drive?
I installed GRUB, but it just hangs up. What now?
-----------

What others would you suggest?

By the way, validator.w3.org says grub-2-faq.en.html has 24 errors, but
that cascades errors.  I only see 5 errors.  I imagine the page is
formatted by a standard header + body + standard footer, but there is
one html error in the header too:

alt="image of the Head of a GNU" width="129" height"122" />

height is missing an = sign.

   -- Bruce

* Re: GRUB Faq
@ 2010-01-05 16:12 ` Lapohos Tibor
From: Lapohos Tibor @ 2010-01-05 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

Inspired by my own problems, in a seIfish way, I would suggest "Grub2 and RAID" + section 3.8.

Also, I think sections 2.2.5 and 2.2.6 could take a bit of a touch-up, or extension, if you will. Especially the last sentence of 2.2.6. IMHO, the real thing is to be able to do everything from scratch. If the how-tos are explained  a bit more, a better understanding of other related subjects becomes  possible.

Regards,
Tibor

[...]

* GRUB update problems
@ 2010-01-05 18:07   ` Henry W. Peters
From: Henry W. Peters @ 2010-01-05 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

I run Debian Lenny sid/squeeze, the updater this morning just "updated"
my GRUB2 version... (not sure of the version).

Anyway, I have a Dell S1909 WX monitor at resolution 1440 x 900
(analogue) at 60 Hz. (the recommended resolution). I do dual boot with
Windows XP (sp3) & besides a GNOME desktop, I have xfce installed. So I
use GRUB bootloader.

Since I got this monitor (I previously used Ubuntu distro), I have had a
problem with it & Linux... (i.e., not in Windows). I discovered that I
needed to change the display resolution via the 'Startup-Manager.' This
apparently changes the resolution in GRUB. With the last two versions of
GRUB, this worked fairly well, the  vertical lines (like a double
shifted image) almost completely disappeared. This "newest" version of
GRUB, the lines are back full force, & no parameter that I set in the
'Startup-Manager' helps... (though, as a side note...  when set to so
work with working monitor res. the text in the startup routine was too
tiny for words (to be read)). It appears to be two display drivers
conflicting... (????)

I probably need to get the display resolution in GRUB to correspond to
my ACTUAL desktop resolution... I'm guessing; so, until GRUB  works out
what appears to me, to be a 'bug' (?), or I can know what to do to
remedy... perhaps there is a workaround someone can suggest?

& one more note, I also had a problem with GRUB (or what ever...) when I
hit the restart/shut down routine... it would sometimes only do a log
off, & then I would have to do a restart from the log on screen, well...
it's back with this recent version of GRUB.

Any helpful help appreciated.

Henry

* Re: GRUB update problems
@ 2010-01-05 18:16     ` Felix Zielcke
From: Felix Zielcke @ 2010-01-05 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

Am Dienstag, den 05.01.2010, 13:07 -0500 schrieb Henry W. Peters:
> I run Debian Lenny sid/squeeze, the updater this morning just
> "updated"
> my GRUB2 version... (not sure of the version).

normally it doestn't make sense to have stable (lenny), testing
(squeeze) and unstable (sid) in /etc/apt/sources.list
Usually you only use one of them.

> I probably need to get the display resolution in GRUB to correspond to
>
> my ACTUAL desktop resolution... I'm guessing; so, until GRUB  works
> out
> what appears to me, to be a 'bug' (?), or I can know what to do to
> remedy... perhaps there is a workaround someone can suggest?

I think you didn't set a device in the debconf prompt which asked for
one.
You need to run grub-install to update it. Else the graphical terminal
won't get anymore enabled by update-grub/grub-mkconfig.

And also check GRUB_GFXMODE in /etc/default/grub, which is the
resolution for GRUB if the graphical terminal is enabled.

> & one more note, I also had a problem with GRUB (or what ever...) when
> hit the restart/shut down routine... it would sometimes only do a log
> off, & then I would have to do a restart from the log on screen,
> well...
> it's back with this recent version of GRUB.

This has nothing to do with GRUB.
> Any helpful help appreciated.
>
> Henry

Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer

* Re: GRUB update problems
@ 2010-01-05 18:58       ` Henry W. Peters
From: Henry W. Peters @ 2010-01-05 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

Felix Zielcke wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 05.01.2010, 13:07 -0500 schrieb Henry W. Peters:
>
>> I run Debian Lenny sid/squeeze, the updater this morning just
>> "updated"
>> my GRUB2 version... (not sure of the version).
>>

> normally it doestn't make sense to have stable (lenny), testing
> (squeeze) and unstable (sid) in /etc/apt/sources.list
> Usually you only use one of them.
>

>> I probably need to get the display resolution in GRUB to correspond to
>>
>> my ACTUAL desktop resolution... I'm guessing; so, until GRUB  works
>> out
>> what appears to me, to be a 'bug' (?), or I can know what to do to
>> remedy... perhaps there is a workaround someone can suggest?
>>

> I think you didn't set a device in the debconf prompt which asked for
> one.
> You need to run grub-install to update it. Else the graphical terminal
> won't get anymore enabled by update-grub/grub-mkconfig.
>
> And also check GRUB_GFXMODE in /etc/default/grub, which is the
> resolution for GRUB if the graphical terminal is enabled.

Not to seem ungrateful, but grubspeak is not too helpful at the moment,
but nonetheless, I did try several of your suggestions (perhaps not
correctly, because of maybe not understanding too well?)"

# grub-install
install_device not specified.
Usage: grub-install [OPTION] install_device
Install GRUB on your drive.

  -h, --help              print this message and exit
  -v, --version           print the version information and exit
  --modules=MODULES       pre-load specified modules MODULES
  --root-directory=DIR    install GRUB images under the directory DIR
                          instead of the root directory
  --grub-setup=FILE       use FILE as grub-setup
  --grub-mkimage=FILE     use FILE as grub-mkimage
  --grub-mkdevicemap=FILE use FILE as grub-mkdevicemap
  --grub-probe=FILE       use FILE as grub-probe
  --no-floppy             do not probe any floppy drive
  --recheck               probe a device map even if it already exists
  --force                 install even if problems are detected
  --disk-module=MODULE    disk module to use

INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename.

grub-install copies GRUB images into the DIR/boot directory specified by
--root-directory, and uses grub-setup to install grub into the boot
sector.

Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>.

This was the message I got... I have no clue as to what "grub-install
[OPTION] install_device" means... this is to say, what is the option?

Then I did check the /etc/default/grub file, & this is what I got (I
took out the '# at the GRUB_GFXMODE=1440x900' & changed the
resolution... I tried doing an '#update-grub' both in the terminal while
booted & at startup in the recovery mode. Nothing seems to change...
maybe it's the 'install_device not specified.' problem??

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=30
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="splash vga=795"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
GRUB_GFXMODE=1440x900

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to
Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY="true"
>> & one more note, I also had a problem with GRUB (or what ever...) when
>> hit the restart/shut down routine... it would sometimes only do a log
>> off, & then I would have to do a restart from the log on screen,
>> well...
>> it's back with this recent version of GRUB.
>>

> This has nothing to do with GRUB.
>
>> Any helpful help appreciated.
>>
>> Henry

* Re: GRUB Faq
@ 2010-01-05 19:16   ` Lapohos Tibor
From: Lapohos Tibor @ 2010-01-05 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

Sorry for the former silly lines. I've just realized, I wrote based on a document made of what you, developers, are saying, with my formatting on top.

To clarify, I was talking about the headings:

Building / Installation from Source
Build Prerequisites
Example grub.cfg for RAID (and I see you have already done most of what I was thinking of)

respectively.

Regards,
Tibor

Inspired by my own problems, in a seIfish way, I would suggest "Grub2 and RAID" + section 3.8.

Also, I think sections 2.2.5 and 2.2.6 could take a bit of a touch-up, or extension, if you will. Especially the last sentence of 2.2.6. IMHO, the real thing is to be able to do everything from scratch. If the how-tos are explained  a bit more, a better understanding of other related subjects becomes  possible.

Regards,
Tibor

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

* Re: GRUB update problems
@ 2010-01-05 20:50         ` Felix Zielcke
From: Felix Zielcke @ 2010-01-05 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

Am Dienstag, den 05.01.2010, 13:58 -0500 schrieb Henry W. Peters:

> Felix Zielcke wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, den 05.01.2010, 13:07 -0500 schrieb Henry W. Peters:
> >
> >> I run Debian Lenny sid/squeeze, the updater this morning just
> >> "updated"
> >> my GRUB2 version... (not sure of the version).
> >>

> > normally it doestn't make sense to have stable (lenny), testing
> > (squeeze) and unstable (sid) in /etc/apt/sources.list
> > Usually you only use one of them.
> >

> >> I probably need to get the display resolution in GRUB to correspond
> >>
> >> my ACTUAL desktop resolution... I'm guessing; so, until GRUB  works
> >> out
> >> what appears to me, to be a 'bug' (?), or I can know what to do to
> >> remedy... perhaps there is a workaround someone can suggest?
> >>

> > I think you didn't set a device in the debconf prompt which asked
> for
> > one.
> > You need to run grub-install to update it. Else the graphical
> terminal
> > won't get anymore enabled by update-grub/grub-mkconfig.
> >
> > And also check GRUB_GFXMODE in /etc/default/grub, which is the
> > resolution for GRUB if the graphical terminal is enabled.
> >

> Not to seem ungrateful, but grubspeak is not too helpful at the
> moment,
> but nonetheless, I did try several of your suggestions (perhaps not
> correctly, because of maybe not understanding too well?)"
>
> # grub-install
>
> This was the message I got... I have no clue as to what "grub-install
> [OPTION] install_device" means... this is to say, what is the option?

The device where you want to have GRUB in MBR/bootsector.
I.e. /dev/sda or /dev/sdb etc. Choose the disk your BIOS boots from.
Or if you don't know just install to all you have.

> Then I did check the /etc/default/grub file, & this is what I got (I
> took out the '# at the GRUB_GFXMODE=1440x900' & changed the
> resolution... I tried doing an '#update-grub' both in the terminal
> while
> booted & at startup in the recovery mode. Nothing seems to change...
> maybe it's the 'install_device not specified.' problem??

Well if running update-grub shows an error about video.lst, then you
must run grub-install first.

Else check the generated /boot/grub/grub.cfg
It should contain something like that:

if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
  set gfxmode=1440x900
  insmod gfxterm
  insmod vbe
  if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
    # For backward compatibility with versions of terminal.mod that don't
    # understand terminal_output
    terminal gfxterm
  fi
fi

--

@ 2010-01-06  0:23           ` Henry W. Peters
From: Henry W. Peters @ 2010-01-06  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

Felix Zielcke wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 05.01.2010, 13:58 -0500 schrieb Henry W. Peters:
>
>> Then I did check the /etc/default/grub file, & this is what I got (I
>> took out the '# at the GRUB_GFXMODE=1440x900' & changed the
>> resolution... I tried doing an '#update-grub' both in the terminal
>> while
>> booted & at startup in the recovery mode. Nothing seems to change...
>> maybe it's the 'install_device not specified.' problem??
>>

> Well if running update-grub shows an error about video.lst, then you
> must run grub-install first.
>
> Else check the generated /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> It should contain something like that:
>
> if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
>   set gfxmode=1440x900
>   insmod gfxterm
>   insmod vbe
>   if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
>     # For backward compatibility with versions of terminal.mod that don't
>     # understand terminal_output
>     terminal gfxterm
>   fi
> fi

Felix,

Thanks very much, I will try this.

Henry

* Re: GRUB Faq
@ 2010-01-06  2:50     ` Bruce Dubbs
From: Bruce Dubbs @ 2010-01-06  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

Lapohos Tibor wrote:

> To clarify, I was talking about the headings:
>
> Building / Installation from Source Build Prerequisites Example

This is covered in the INSTALL file.  I've submitted a new one, but it
hasn't been committed.

In the meantime you can get most of what you need from:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter06/grub.html
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter08/grub.html

It covers the basics, but many distros add a lot of customization and
automation that is not in the above links.

   -- Bruce

* Re: GRUB update problems
@ 2010-01-06 21:50             ` Henry W. Peters
From: Henry W. Peters @ 2010-01-06 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

Henry W. Peters wrote:
> Felix Zielcke wrote:
>> Am Dienstag, den 05.01.2010, 13:58 -0500 schrieb Henry W. Peters:
>>
>>> Then I did check the /etc/default/grub file, & this is what I got (I
>>> took out the '# at the GRUB_GFXMODE=1440x900' & changed the
>>> resolution... I tried doing an '#update-grub' both in the terminal
>>> while booted & at startup in the recovery mode. Nothing seems to
>>> change... maybe it's the 'install_device not specified.' problem??
>>>

>> Well if running update-grub shows an error about video.lst, then you
>> must run grub-install first.
>>
>> Else check the generated /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>> It should contain something like that:
>>
>> if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
>>   set gfxmode=1440x900
>>   insmod gfxterm
>>   insmod vbe
>>   if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
>>     # For backward compatibility with versions of terminal.mod that
>> don't
>>     # understand terminal_output
>>     terminal gfxterm
>>   fi
>> fi
>>

> Felix,
>
> Thanks very much, I will try this.
>
> Henry

Well now I'm in deep ...., fortunately, I had some trouble installing
Debian Lenny, & someone recommended 'PMagic' CD & it allowed me to boot
in to my Linux OS.

In booting up this afternoon, I first got:

"Grub loading
error the symbol 'grub_puts' not found
grub rescue>_" (the under score here was a blinking cursor)

Then I made some changes in the BIOS to set another hd to boot... & got:

"GRUB loading please wait...
Error 15" (& right here, all stop as far as loading went).

When I got back on line via the PMagic disk, I tried reinstalling GRUB
via the synaptic package manager... that didn't work either

Previously, I looked at the file Felix suggested (/boot/grub/grub.cfg),
& there was no such parameters as he indicated there might be.

I tried to follow the grub_install suggestions, to no avail (& probably
messed something up).

What is recommended fix... & can I go back to the previous version of
grub some how...? It, at least connected with my startup manager (i.e.,
changed the given, but limited resolutions of the GRUB & start up,
making my 1440 x 900 monitor useable at that res.).

Thanks,
Henry

* Re: GRUB Faq
@ 2010-01-07 19:40 ` Robert Millan
From: Robert Millan @ 2010-01-07 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 12:08:28AM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I've been working on grub.texi and I notice a reference to
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.html.  I will change that to
> grub-2-faq.en.html before I submit it.

Actually, I'd rather ditch the old FAQ and replace it completely.

In general, references to "GRUB 2" need to disappear from the website, wiki
and documentation.  Now that GRUB Legacy is completely obsolete it's not
necessary to make the distinction in most contexts.

Would you be interested in adapting the website?

--
Robert Millan

  "Be the change you want to see in the world" -- Gandhi

* Re: GRUB Faq
@ 2010-01-07 19:52   ` Bruce Dubbs
From: Bruce Dubbs @ 2010-01-07 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

Robert Millan wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 12:08:28AM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> I've been working on grub.texi and I notice a reference to
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.html.  I will change that to
>> grub-2-faq.en.html before I submit it.
>
> Actually, I'd rather ditch the old FAQ and replace it completely.
>
> In general, references to "GRUB 2" need to disappear from the website, wiki
> and documentation.  Now that GRUB Legacy is completely obsolete it's not
> necessary to make the distinction in most contexts.
>
> Would you be interested in adapting the website?

I can do that if I have permissions.

   -- Bruce

* Re: GRUB update problems
@ 2010-01-08 15:39               ` Henry W. Peters
From: Henry W. Peters @ 2010-01-08 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

Ok, not getting any response here, probably means either:

1.) This is not the correct forum for someone NOT knowledgeable in the
inner workings of GRUB2,

2.) & or no one give a flying fig if someone has a serious problem
involving GRUB (1 or 2).

Would someone be so kind as to explain... & perhaps, if necessary,
direct me to a forum that might actually be able to help me problem
solve here?

Thank you.

Henry

* Re: GRUB update problems
@ 2010-01-08 16:13                 ` Robert Millan
From: Robert Millan @ 2010-01-08 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 10:39:38AM -0500, Henry W. Peters wrote:
> Ok, not getting any response here, probably means either:
>
> 1.) This is not the correct forum for someone NOT knowledgeable in the
> inner workings of GRUB2,
>
> 2.) & or no one give a flying fig if someone has a serious problem
> involving GRUB (1 or 2).
>
> Would someone be so kind as to explain... & perhaps, if necessary,
> direct me to a forum that might actually be able to help me problem
> solve here?

In principle, the right list for obtaining help with GRUB would be
help-grub.

But in practice, I'm not sure if there will be people there who can
provide user assistance.  Therefore user questions are tollerated in
grub-devel.

I'd really like to make help-grub the user support forum, but since I don't
have more time to volunteer myself, I'm not sure how to make this happen.

FWIW, if anyone who reads this is willing to help the GRUB project by
watching help-grub and helping with user requests there, he/she's more
than welcome to do that.

--

@ 2010-01-08 17:01                   ` Henry W. Peters
From: Henry W. Peters @ 2010-01-08 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

Robert Millan wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 10:39:38AM -0500, Henry W. Peters wrote:
>
>> Ok, not getting any response here, probably means either:
>>
>> 1.) This is not the correct forum for someone NOT knowledgeable in the
>> inner workings of GRUB2,
>>
>> 2.) & or no one give a flying fig if someone has a serious problem
>> involving GRUB (1 or 2).
>>
>> Would someone be so kind as to explain... & perhaps, if necessary,
>> direct me to a forum that might actually be able to help me problem
>> solve here?
>>

> In principle, the right list for obtaining help with GRUB would be
> help-grub.
>
> But in practice, I'm not sure if there will be people there who can
> provide user assistance.  Therefore user questions are tollerated in
> grub-devel.
>
> I'd really like to make help-grub the user support forum, but since I don't
> have more time to volunteer myself, I'm not sure how to make this happen.
>
> FWIW, if anyone who reads this is willing to help the GRUB project by
> watching help-grub and helping with user requests there, he/she's more
> than welcome to do that.

Hi Robert (& any one willing & or able to try & help here, in some way),

I do appreciate your response. I did a search & found the grub-help
list, I signed up, & now know (at least) probably not much help there.

Perhaps the simplest request, since I tried reinstalling it, then
uninstalled grub2 (& grub), tried lilo, then installing (I think) legacy
grub (this thru synaptic p.m.), & I just read (a portion) of the grub
manual... & do believe I got, previously, some possibly dangerous advise
previously on grub-dev list (grub-install), but in any case, if I just
knew where to find relatively clear information on how to configure (or
whatever needs to be done to connect a fresh install of grub (or grub2)
with the kernel, & or whatever is necessary), considering I am booted
from a disk (pmagic), which uses grub2, v. 0.97-os.1, into my OS, Debian
Lenny, sid/squeeze, kernel 2.6.32, this might be of some help. In a
*cursory* look thru the grub manual, I couldn't find this.

& by the way, this version of grub allows my monitor to work in correct
resolution, with out problems (trying to fix this, was original cause of
my problem/s here, apparently, the startup-manager would not connect its
parameters with grub). I think the version of grub2 that got 'upgraded'
was v. 0.973-alpha (alas,not really sure of this, in any case, it was
the latest upgrade just several days ago).

Hoping this make enough sense to possibly advise a trail toward resolution.

Henry

* Re: GRUB update problems
@ 2010-01-08 19:26                     ` Henry W. Peters
From: Henry W. Peters @ 2010-01-08 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

*
Henry W. Peters wrote:
*
> Robert Millan wrote:
>> In principle, the right list for obtaining help with GRUB would be
>> help-grub.
>>
>> But in practice, I'm not sure if there will be people there who can
>> provide user assistance.  Therefore user questions are tollerated in
>> grub-devel.
>>
>> I'd really like to make help-grub the user support forum, but since I
>> don't
>> have more time to volunteer myself, I'm not sure how to make this
>> happen.
>>
>> FWIW, if anyone who reads this is willing to help the GRUB project by
>> watching help-grub and helping with user requests there, he/she's more
>> than welcome to do that.
>>

> Hi Robert (& any one willing & or able to try & help here, in some way),
>
> I do appreciate your response. I did a search & found the grub-help
> list, I signed up, & now know (at least) probably not much help there.
>
> Perhaps the simplest request, since I tried reinstalling it, then
> uninstalled grub2 (& grub), tried lilo, then installing (I think)
> legacy grub (this thru synaptic p.m.), & I just read (a portion) of
> the grub manual... & do believe I got, previously, some possibly
> dangerous advise previously on grub-dev list (grub-install), but in
> any case, if I just knew where to find relatively clear information on
> how to configure (or whatever needs to be done to connect a fresh
> install of grub (or grub2) with the kernel, & or whatever is
> necessary), considering I am booted from a disk (pmagic), which uses
> grub2, v. 0.97-os.1, into my OS, Debian Lenny, sid/squeeze, kernel
> 2.6.32, this might be of some help. In a *cursory* look thru the grub
> manual, I couldn't find this.
>
> & by the way, this version of grub allows my monitor to work in
> correct resolution, with out problems (trying to fix this, was
> original cause of my problem/s here, apparently, the startup-manager
> would not connect its parameters with grub). I think the version of
> grub2 that got 'upgraded' was v. 0.973-alpha (alas,not really sure of
> this, in any case, it was the latest upgrade just several days ago).
>
> Hoping this make enough sense to possibly advise a trail toward
> resolution.
>
> Henry

I found the below (though modified to fit my drive) in a linux forum,  I
figured (correctly!) since Ubuntu is Debian based, it might be relevant
to my problem & of  some help... I not only got GRUB2 back (v.
1.98~20100101-1), but my monitor is functioning properly as well. Thanks
for the PATIENCE on this list. Learning in the dark ain't always so neat
& clean.

Henry
P.s., though I incorrectly called it 'pmagic', it actually is called
'Parted Magic' http://partedmagic.com/download.html &  for any Debian
Lenny operators out there, I'm highly recommending!

http://ubuntulinuxhowtos.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-reinstall-grub-2-after.html

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

How to reinstall Grub 2 after reinstalling Windows XP/Vista/Win7
Now grub is updated to grub 2,after a long period of "no development" in
grub code.
The issue is grub 2 is totally different from its predecessor. menu.lst
doesnt even exist. It is replaced by grub.cfg which have little
resemblance with menu.lst which makes things a liitle difficult.

Now with the release of Windows 7,most people must be upgrading their
old windows.This results in loosing grub. The method to restore grub 2
is entirely different from reinstalling old grub,so dont attempt old
methods (even Auto Super Grub Disk software wont work)

Insert ubuntu 9.10 karmic live cd

Select "Try ubuntu without any change to current system" option

Open Accessories >terminal

Type:
sudo fdisk -l

This command will list all partions in hard disk
find the partion ,in my case it is sda3

sudo mount /dev/sda /mnt
sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
sudo chroot /mnt
update-grub
grub-install /dev/sda
grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
sudo umount /mnt/dev
sudo umount /mnt

Now reboot, you will find that grub only contain ubuntu
Dont panic!!! we are not yet done

Boot to ubuntu
Open Accessories >terminal
Type:

sudo update-grub

Now reboot
You will now have the update grub2!!!!!!!
Posted by mrcet007 at 7:09 AM

* Re: GRUB Faq
@ 2010-01-08 22:12   ` richardvoigt
From: richardvoigt @ 2010-01-08 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 12:08:28AM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> I've been working on grub.texi and I notice a reference to
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.html.  I will change that to
>> grub-2-faq.en.html before I submit it.
>
> Actually, I'd rather ditch the old FAQ and replace it completely.
>
> In general, references to "GRUB 2" need to disappear from the website, wiki
> and documentation.  Now that GRUB Legacy is completely obsolete it's not
> necessary to make the distinction in most contexts.

Development may have ended, but as long as there is a single boot
device supported by GRUB legacy and not GRUB 2 (whether certain RAID
flavors, floppies, filesystems with small embedding area, etc) legacy
isn't obsolete.  And given the number of users who still have it
installed, I suggest that removing documentation for legacy is a
mistake.

Consider either:
(1) Moving the old FAQ to a new URL, and putting a link on the top of
the new FAQ.
or
(2) Adding a link to the GRUB 2 FAQ prominently on top of the GRUB
Legacy FAQ, which stays where it is.

The second option is probably better since there are anchors in the
page, allowing links from outside to specific parts of the page.
Replacing the page will break all such links.