* Recipe to Copy JAR files, not extract it
@ 2014-06-18 13:32 Laurent d'Havé
From: Laurent d'Havé @ 2014-06-18 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello
In a recipe i'm writing, i need to simply copy a .jar file.
Since it's specified in SRC_URI , bitbake extracts it, making WORKDIR a
complete mess, and makes it impossible to copy the .jar file to destination.

How would i go about simply copying it ? Anyway to tell bitbake NOT to
extract content of it ?

* Re: Recipe to Copy JAR files, not extract it
@ 2014-06-18 16:06 ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2014-06-18 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent d'Havé; +Cc: yocto

Hi Laurent,

On Wednesday 18 June 2014 15:32:17 Laurent d'Havé wrote:
> Hello
> In a recipe i'm writing, i need to simply copy a .jar file.
> Since it's specified in SRC_URI , bitbake extracts it, making WORKDIR a
> complete mess, and makes it impossible to copy the .jar file to destination.
>

> How would i go about simply copying it ? Anyway to tell bitbake NOT to
> extract content of it ?

if you add ;unpack=0 to the end of the entry for the jar file within SRC_URI,
it should prevent it from being unpacked.

(I see we don't have this documented anywhere, I will add it to the
documentation todo list.)

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: Recipe to Copy JAR files, not extract it
@ 2014-06-18 16:09   ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2014-06-18 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent d'Havé; +Cc: yocto

On Wednesday 18 June 2014 17:06:31 Paul Eggleton wrote:
> Hi Laurent,
>
> On Wednesday 18 June 2014 15:32:17 Laurent d'Havé wrote:
> > Hello
> > In a recipe i'm writing, i need to simply copy a .jar file.
> > Since it's specified in SRC_URI , bitbake extracts it, making WORKDIR a
> > complete mess, and makes it impossible to copy the .jar file to
> > destination.
> >

> > How would i go about simply copying it ? Anyway to tell bitbake NOT to
> > extract content of it ?
>
> if you add ;unpack=0 to the end of the entry for the jar file within
> SRC_URI, it should prevent it from being unpacked.
>
> (I see we don't have this documented anywhere, I will add it to the
> documentation todo list.)

Actually, I was mistaken - it is mentioned in the reference manual:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#var-SRC_URI

(FWIW, I'm happy to answer questions even if they are covered by
the manual, this is just an aside ;)

Cheers,
Paul

--

@ 2014-06-18 16:10   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2014-06-18 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: Laurent d'Havé, yocto

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014, Paul Eggleton wrote:

> Hi Laurent,
>
> On Wednesday 18 June 2014 15:32:17 Laurent d'Havé wrote:
> > Hello
> > In a recipe i'm writing, i need to simply copy a .jar file.
> > Since it's specified in SRC_URI , bitbake extracts it, making WORKDIR a
> > complete mess, and makes it impossible to copy the .jar file to destination.
> >

> > How would i go about simply copying it ? Anyway to tell bitbake NOT to
> > extract content of it ?
>
> if you add ;unpack=0 to the end of the entry for the jar file within SRC_URI,
> it should prevent it from being unpacked.
>
> (I see we don't have this documented anywhere, I will add it to the
> documentation todo list.)

  it's mentioned in Section 4.2 of the bitbake user manual.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: Recipe to Copy JAR files, not extract it
@ 2014-06-18 16:19     ` Laurent d'Havé
From: Laurent d'Havé @ 2014-06-18 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: yocto

Damn , i did RTFM, but that's not the version i was reading.
That'll teach me !

Thanks for quick response, really sorry , for not reading the latest
version of the manual.

Take care
Laurent

> Paul Eggleton <mailto:paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com>
> 18 June 2014 18:09
>
> Actually, I was mistaken - it is mentioned in the reference manual:
>
> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#var-SRC_URI
>
> (FWIW, I'm happy to answer questions even if they are covered by
> the manual, this is just an aside ;)
>
> Cheers,
> Paul
>
> Paul Eggleton <mailto:paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com>
> 18 June 2014 18:06
> Hi Laurent,
>
> if you add ;unpack=0 to the end of the entry for the jar file within
> SRC_URI,
> it should prevent it from being unpacked.
>
> (I see we don't have this documented anywhere, I will add it to the
> documentation todo list.)
>
> Cheers,
> Paul
>
> Laurent d'Havé <mailto:ldhave@gmail.com>
> 18 June 2014 15:32
> Hello
> In a recipe i'm writing, i need to simply copy a .jar file.
> Since it's specified in SRC_URI , bitbake extracts it, making WORKDIR
> a complete mess, and makes it impossible to copy the .jar file to
> destination.
>

> How would i go about simply copying it ? Anyway to tell bitbake NOT to
> extract content of it ?

[-- Attachment #2.2: compose-unknown-contact.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 801 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.3: postbox-contact.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 954 bytes --]

* Re: Recipe to Copy JAR files, not extract it
@ 2014-06-18 16:31       ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2014-06-18 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent d'Havé; +Cc: yocto

On Wednesday 18 June 2014 18:19:23 Laurent d'Havé wrote:
> Damn , i did RTFM, but that's not the version i was reading.
> That'll teach me !
>
> Thanks for quick response, really sorry , for not reading the latest
> version of the manual.

No problem; please feel free to ask any questions you have. I never tell
people to RTFM, although I may point to sections of the manual if they exist
to save me some typing :)

Cheers,
Paul

--

@ 2014-06-19 13:40         ` Laurent d'Havé
From: Laurent d'Havé @ 2014-06-19 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: yocto

That worked great.

Except i'm now having a strange issue, been pulling hair's out for a
couple of hours ...

WARNING: QA Issue: taxi: Files/directories were installed but not shipped
   /usr/share
   /usr/share/java
   /usr/share/java/headless.jar

And indeed, my jar file will not be bundled in the rootfs !!

Some copy-paste from my recipe :

SRC_URI = " \
file://headless .jar;unpack=0 \
"
do_install() {
install -m 0755 -d ${D}/usr/share/java
  install -m 0755 ${WORKDIR}/headless .jar ${D}/usr/share/java
  }

Any clues ? If i change the path  /usr/bin  it works.
Is it because i'm putting it in /usr/share/java ?
But that's where all the other JAR's go ...

h e l p

@ 2014-06-19 13:47           ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2014-06-19 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent d'Havé; +Cc: yocto

On Thursday 19 June 2014 15:40:59 Laurent d'Havé wrote:
> That worked great.
>
> Except i'm now having a strange issue, been pulling hair's out for a
> couple of hours ...
>
> WARNING: QA Issue: taxi: Files/directories were installed but not shipped
>    /usr/share
>    /usr/share/java
>    /usr/share/java/headless.jar
>

> And indeed, my jar file will not be bundled in the rootfs !!
>
> Some copy-paste from my recipe :
>
> SRC_URI = " \
> file://headless .jar;unpack=0 \
> "
> do_install() {
> install -m 0755 -d ${D}/usr/share/java
>   install -m 0755 ${WORKDIR}/headless .jar ${D}/usr/share/java
>   }
>

> Any clues ? If i change the path  /usr/bin  it works.
> Is it because i'm putting it in /usr/share/java ?
> But that's where all the other JAR's go ...

The key is "installed but not shipped" - you've installed the files, but they
aren't being shipped in any package. The files in each package are specified
using FILES, and /usr/share is ${datadir}, so I'd suggest something like the
following:

FILES_${PN} += "${datadir}/java"

(Moving the files to /usr/bin works because that is already in the default
value of FILES_${PN}, whereas /usr/share/java isn't).

Cheers,
Paul