* Re: [dm-crypt] TrueCrypt is discontinued - here are the alternatives
@ 2016-12-28 11:49 Sophie Hunt
From: Sophie Hunt @ 2016-12-28 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

I appreciate that you're probably busy so I just wanted to follow up on the email I sent you the other day; copy included below for reference:

		On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 10:13 AM, Sophie Hunt <sophie.hunt@ctechemail.com> wrote:

			 Hi,

I noticed you've shared TrueCrypt on this page https://unstable.nl/cgi-bin/man/man2html?8+cryptsetup, as you may be aware, development of TrueCrypt was discontinued back in 2014 and has subsequently not been maintained. A number of security flaws have been uncovered and as a result we are reaching out to people to highlight a list of alternatives.

Here's the list (along with further details about TrueCrypt no longer being maintained) - https://www.comparitech.com/blog/information-security/truecrypt-is-discoutinued-try-these-free-alternatives/, when you update your page it could be a useful resource to point your visitors to.

-Sophie

* Re: [dm-crypt] TrueCrypt is discontinued - here are the alternatives
@ 2016-12-28 16:20 ` Arno Wagner
From: Arno Wagner @ 2016-12-28 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Hi,

you are free to maintain your page yourself. I doubt
anybody here cares about it.

Regards,
Arno

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 12:49:19 CET, Sophie Hunt wrote:
>    Hi,
>    I appreciate that you're probably busy so I just wanted to follow up on
>    the email I sent you the other day; copy included below for reference:
>    On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 10:13 AM, Sophie Hunt
>    <sophie.hunt@ctechemail.com> wrote:
>
>      Hi,
>      I noticed you've shared TrueCrypt on this page
>      https://unstable.nl/cgi-bin/man/man2html?8+cryptsetup, as you may be
>      aware, development of TrueCrypt was discontinued back in 2014 and
>      has subsequently not been maintained. A number of security flaws
>      have been uncovered and as a result we are reaching out to people to
>      highlight a list of alternatives.
>      Here's the list (along with further details about TrueCrypt no
>      longer being maintained) -
>      https://www.comparitech.com/blog/information-security/truecrypt-is-d
>      iscoutinued-try-these-free-alternatives/, when you update your page
>      it could be a useful resource to point your visitors to.
>      Please let me know if you have any questions.
>      -Sophie

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@wagner.name
----

* Re: [dm-crypt] TrueCrypt is discontinued - here are the alternatives
@ 2016-12-28 16:41   ` Sven Eschenberg
From: Sven Eschenberg @ 2016-12-28 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Hi Arno,

I think this is simple UBE for clickbaiting. It's probably best to
blacklist the whole domain and the sending host on the server handling
the mailinglist.

Regards

-Sven

@ 2016-12-28 19:55     ` Arno Wagner
From: Arno Wagner @ 2016-12-28 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

I had a look at it now and I agree. They apparently list LUKS
as a TrueCrypt alternative on Windows, which is just clueless.

Regards,
Arno

@ 2017-01-03 20:49       ` Laurence Darby
From: Laurence Darby @ 2017-01-03 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

I'm not sure if that was true before but it's not now.

The original point of this thread is that cryptsetup's man page is
still linking http://www.truecrypt.org as if that was still useful,
it's not spam at all.

Laurence

@ 2017-01-04  7:08         ` Milan Broz
From: Milan Broz @ 2017-01-04  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurence Darby; +Cc: dm-crypt

On 01/03/2017 09:49 PM, Laurence Darby wrote:

> I'm not sure if that was true before but it's not now.
>
> The original point of this thread is that cryptsetup's man page is
> still linking http://www.truecrypt.org as if that was still useful,
> it's not spam at all.

Yes, this one reference was missed. I changed it so it points to wikipedia
now, there are links to other projects derived from TrueCrypt.

Thanks,
Milan

* Re: [dm-crypt] TrueCrypt is discontinued - here are the alternatives
@ 2017-01-04 15:31         ` Sven Eschenberg
From: Sven Eschenberg @ 2017-01-04 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

The original post referenced an autogenerated htmlpage, derived from an
elderly man-page. The original post had no point, as man pages are not
hypertext and don't link anywhere.

The reference (to tcrypt) is outdated, since TC is dead and should be
removed. As simple as that.

Aside from that, the original post was (auto)generated as clickbait, it
just does not make sense at all. No human would write such a pile of
steaming bs.

Neither was TC 'shared' (claim) on the autogenerated page, nor is an
autogenerated html on some arbitrary host under cryptsetup project's
control (claim). Further there's no alternative to cryptsetups TC legacy
mode, as claimed by the mail. It is just part of cryptsetup and limited
to using the container. On top of that, the link to the blog post by
some mischievous company with the intention to get known better is
clickbaiting, no matter how you look at it.

And that certainly qualifies as spam.

Regards

-Sven

@ 2017-01-05 21:53           ` Laurence Darby
From: Laurence Darby @ 2017-01-05 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Eschenberg; +Cc: dm-crypt

eh?  It'd have to be a pretty advanced AI that can point out where
cryptsetup's documentation is outdated.

Yes, it's spammy, and they used slightly confusing language, but at
the same time it was doing cryptsetup a favour so I really don't get
what your problem is.

@ 2017-01-03 11:20 Sophie Hunt
From: Sophie Hunt @ 2017-01-03 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

You've had a couple of emails from me over the last few weeks but I haven't heard back.   Perhaps there is someone else I should reach out to instead?

You can see my previous email below -

			 Hi,

@ 2016-12-22 10:13 Sophie Hunt
From: Sophie Hunt @ 2016-12-22 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)