* New FCC requirements and Linux Wifi
@ 2014-12-01 22:27 Eric Schultz
From: Eric Schultz @ 2014-12-01 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

All,

I work for the prpl Foundation, an open source foundation organized by
a number of companies, most related to MIPS. One project we work with
externally is the OpenWrt project. Recently one of our members
mentioned a new FCC requirement (described in FCC publication 594280)
which requires wifi hardware devices to restrict modifications in ways
that were not previously required. Some of the suggestions the company
had internally for complying would be to use features like Secure Boot
and other types of DRM-like mechanisms to prevent routers from being
modified. This obviously would be quite bad for the OpenWrt community
(and the embedded Linux community as a whole) so we agreed as a group
to try to provide hardware companies with a way of complying without
harming the community.

I'm looking to find individuals (and other companies!) interested in
working with myself and the foundation, companies, the OpenWrt
community and eventually regulators to provide guidance to hardware
companies on how to best comply with these rules. If you're interested
in getting involved or just would like to know more, please get in
touch with me. We want to make sure that routers and related embedded
Linux hardware is hackable and we could use all the help we could get.

Thanks and I look forward to working with you,

Eric

--
Eric Schultz, Community Manager, prpl Foundation
http://www.prplfoundation.org

* Re: New FCC requirements and Linux Wifi
@ 2014-12-02  0:31 ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2014-12-02  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schultz; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Mon, Dec 01, 2014 at 04:27:25PM -0600, Eric Schultz wrote:
> All,
>
> I work for the prpl Foundation, an open source foundation organized by
> a number of companies, most related to MIPS. One project we work with
> externally is the OpenWrt project. Recently one of our members
> mentioned a new FCC requirement (described in FCC publication 594280)
> which requires wifi hardware devices to restrict modifications in ways
> that were not previously required. Some of the suggestions the company
> had internally for complying would be to use features like Secure Boot
> and other types of DRM-like mechanisms to prevent routers from being
> modified. This obviously would be quite bad for the OpenWrt community
> (and the embedded Linux community as a whole) so we agreed as a group
> to try to provide hardware companies with a way of complying without
> harming the community.
>
> I'm looking to find individuals (and other companies!) interested in
> working with myself and the foundation, companies, the OpenWrt
> community and eventually regulators to provide guidance to hardware
> companies on how to best comply with these rules. If you're interested
> in getting involved or just would like to know more, please get in
> touch with me. We want to make sure that routers and related embedded
> Linux hardware is hackable and we could use all the help we could get.
>
> Thanks and I look forward to working with you,
>
> Eric

Eric,

Obviously, I would be interested in hearing more.  I suspect there
are others on the list that will be interested as well...

John
linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.

* Re: New FCC requirements and Linux Wifi
@ 2014-12-02  6:23   ` Oleksij Rempel
From: Oleksij Rempel @ 2014-12-02  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville, Eric Schultz; +Cc: linux-wireless

Am 02.12.2014 um 01:31 schrieb John W. Linville:
> On Mon, Dec 01, 2014 at 04:27:25PM -0600, Eric Schultz wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I work for the prpl Foundation, an open source foundation organized by
>> a number of companies, most related to MIPS. One project we work with
>> externally is the OpenWrt project. Recently one of our members
>> mentioned a new FCC requirement (described in FCC publication 594280)
>> which requires wifi hardware devices to restrict modifications in ways
>> that were not previously required. Some of the suggestions the company
>> had internally for complying would be to use features like Secure Boot
>> and other types of DRM-like mechanisms to prevent routers from being
>> modified. This obviously would be quite bad for the OpenWrt community
>> (and the embedded Linux community as a whole) so we agreed as a group
>> to try to provide hardware companies with a way of complying without
>> harming the community.
>>
>> I'm looking to find individuals (and other companies!) interested in
>> working with myself and the foundation, companies, the OpenWrt
>> community and eventually regulators to provide guidance to hardware
>> companies on how to best comply with these rules. If you're interested
>> in getting involved or just would like to know more, please get in
>> touch with me. We want to make sure that routers and related embedded
>> Linux hardware is hackable and we could use all the help we could get.
>>
>> Thanks and I look forward to working with you,
>>
>> Eric
>
> Eric,
>
> Obviously, I would be interested in hearing more.  I suspect there
> are others on the list that will be interested as well...

I'm interested as well.

Oleksij

* Re: New FCC requirements and Linux Wifi
@ 2014-12-02 19:35   ` Arend van Spriel
From: Arend van Spriel @ 2014-12-02 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville; +Cc: Eric Schultz, linux-wireless

On 12/02/14 01:31, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 01, 2014 at 04:27:25PM -0600, Eric Schultz wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I work for the prpl Foundation, an open source foundation organized by
>> a number of companies, most related to MIPS. One project we work with
>> externally is the OpenWrt project. Recently one of our members
>> mentioned a new FCC requirement (described in FCC publication 594280)
>> which requires wifi hardware devices to restrict modifications in ways
>> that were not previously required. Some of the suggestions the company
>> had internally for complying would be to use features like Secure Boot
>> and other types of DRM-like mechanisms to prevent routers from being
>> modified. This obviously would be quite bad for the OpenWrt community
>> (and the embedded Linux community as a whole) so we agreed as a group
>> to try to provide hardware companies with a way of complying without
>> harming the community.
>>
>> I'm looking to find individuals (and other companies!) interested in
>> working with myself and the foundation, companies, the OpenWrt
>> community and eventually regulators to provide guidance to hardware
>> companies on how to best comply with these rules. If you're interested
>> in getting involved or just would like to know more, please get in
>> touch with me. We want to make sure that routers and related embedded
>> Linux hardware is hackable and we could use all the help we could get.
>>
>> Thanks and I look forward to working with you,
>>
>> Eric
>
> Eric,
>
> Obviously, I would be interested in hearing more.  I suspect there
> are others on the list that will be interested as well...

I think so too. Just not sure what "Linux hardware is hackable" really
means here. Well, I guess I mean to say: tell me more. I guess with
hardware companies you mean OEMs here, right?

Regards,
Arend

* Re: New FCC requirements and Linux Wifi
@ 2014-12-02 19:41     ` Eric Schultz
From: Eric Schultz @ 2014-12-02 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arend van Spriel; +Cc: John W. Linville, linux-wireless

Arend,

When I mean Linux hardware being hackable, I was referring to the
ability of users to modify and replace the operating system as
appropriate. As for hardware companies, it would be mostly OEMs. I'll
send details off list today probably about the exact issues related to
the the rule.

Thanks,

Eric

--

@ 2014-12-03  9:09     ` Arend van Spriel
From: Arend van Spriel @ 2014-12-03  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville; +Cc: Eric Schultz, linux-wireless, Luis R. Rodriguez

On 12/02/14 20:35, Arend van Spriel wrote:
> On 12/02/14 01:31, John W. Linville wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 01, 2014 at 04:27:25PM -0600, Eric Schultz wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I work for the prpl Foundation, an open source foundation organized by
>>> a number of companies, most related to MIPS. One project we work with
>>> externally is the OpenWrt project. Recently one of our members
>>> mentioned a new FCC requirement (described in FCC publication 594280)
>>> which requires wifi hardware devices to restrict modifications in ways
>>> that were not previously required. Some of the suggestions the company
>>> had internally for complying would be to use features like Secure Boot
>>> and other types of DRM-like mechanisms to prevent routers from being
>>> modified. This obviously would be quite bad for the OpenWrt community
>>> (and the embedded Linux community as a whole) so we agreed as a group
>>> to try to provide hardware companies with a way of complying without
>>> harming the community.

The FCC publication can be found here:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/kdb/forms/FTSSearchResultPage.cfm?switch=P&id=39498

I had issues downloading the guidance document itself.

Another fine read from 2010 is here:

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/presentations/files/oct10/FCC_Roundtable_General_Discussion_101910-Staff.pdf

At page 13 of this document are draft updates that Eric is probably
referring to.

Regards,
Arend

@ 2014-12-03 17:00       ` Eric Schultz
From: Eric Schultz @ 2014-12-03 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arend van Spriel; +Cc: John W. Linville, linux-wireless, Luis R. Rodriguez

Arend,

Thanks, that is the publication!

I've tried to summarize the topic at
http://wiki.prplfoundation.org/wiki/Complying_with_FCC_rules_on_5ghz_wifi.
I hope that provides folks with enough background to understand what's
going on and the issues with fixing it. If you think you can add
additional information to clarify anything, don't hesitate to do so.

We do most of our discussions on our list at
openwrt@lists.prplfoundation.org so feel free to join the list and
share your thoughts on this with other members of the community. I'd
like to organize an online meeting this month (or early next) of all
the interested parties to discuss suggestions on how to handle this.

Thanks,

Eric