* BSP layers
@ 2015-09-25 18:47 Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2015-09-25 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

I have a couple new layer repositories:

https://github.com/bradbishop/meta-aspeed <https://github.com/bradbishop/meta-aspeed>
https://github.com/bradbishop/meta-openpower <https://github.com/bradbishop/meta-openpower>

Appreciate any feedback.

Thx! - brad

* Re: BSP layers
@ 2015-09-29 14:44 ` Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2015-09-29 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop; +Cc: openbmc

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 02:47:59PM -0400, Brad Bishop wrote:
> I have a couple new layer repositories:
>
> https://github.com/bradbishop/meta-aspeed <https://github.com/bradbishop/meta-aspeed>
> https://github.com/bradbishop/meta-openpower <https://github.com/bradbishop/meta-openpower>
>
> Appreciate any feedback.
>
> Thx! - brad

Brad,

I noticed in the layer.conf files we are manually assigning priority.
Do we want to allow the automatic assignment or is there some guidelines
on what the priority should be?

Seems that you have:
    * BMC Hardware Layer - 7
    * Host Machine Class - 8
    * Host Machine Specific - 9
    * OEM Machine Enhancment - 10 (not there, but imagined by me).

Based on the conference call we had last week, I think we should go
ahead and make github.com/openbmc repositories for these two you have.
I can create that if you want.

What is your proposal for where these repositories live in
openbmc/openbmc?  meta-openbmc-bsp for meta-aspeed?  I'm unsure if
meta-openpower belongs under a meta-openbmc-machines or
meta-phosphor/meta-machines?

--
Patrick Williams

* Re: BSP layers
@ 2015-09-29 17:42   ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2015-09-29 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams; +Cc: openbmc

Patrick

Automatic versioning seems fine for now.  I will update that.

For the openbmc hierarchy how about:

meta-openbmc-bsp/meta-aspeed -> meta-aspeed
meta-openbmc-machines/meta-openpower -> meta-openpower

thx - Brad

> On Sep 29, 2015, at 10:44 AM, Patrick Williams <patrick@stwcx.xyz> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 02:47:59PM -0400, Brad Bishop wrote:
>> I have a couple new layer repositories:
>>
>> https://github.com/bradbishop/meta-aspeed <https://github.com/bradbishop/meta-aspeed>
>> https://github.com/bradbishop/meta-openpower <https://github.com/bradbishop/meta-openpower>
>>
>> Appreciate any feedback.
>>
>> Thx! - brad
>>

> Brad,
>
> I noticed in the layer.conf files we are manually assigning priority.
> Do we want to allow the automatic assignment or is there some guidelines
> on what the priority should be?
>
> Seems that you have:
>    * BMC Hardware Layer - 7
>    * Host Machine Class - 8
>    * Host Machine Specific - 9
>    * OEM Machine Enhancment - 10 (not there, but imagined by me).
>
> Based on the conference call we had last week, I think we should go
> ahead and make github.com/openbmc repositories for these two you have.
> I can create that if you want.
>
> What is your proposal for where these repositories live in
> openbmc/openbmc?  meta-openbmc-bsp for meta-aspeed?  I'm unsure if
> meta-openpower belongs under a meta-openbmc-machines or
> meta-phosphor/meta-machines?
>
> --
> Patrick Williams

* Re: BSP layers
@ 2015-09-30  0:44 ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2015-09-30  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop; +Cc: openbmc

Hey Brad,

On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 4:47 AM, Brad Bishop <brad@bwbmail.net> wrote:
> https://github.com/bradbishop/meta-aspeed
> https://github.com/bradbishop/meta-openpower

Cool. I had a bit of a look.

Feel free to send me patches for the issues in the kernel tree that
you found. We don't want to be carrying patches to things where the
fix should be in the repository, and that's especially true for
components we own where the patch up-streaming is much easier.

How do we go about building these into something I can boot on a palmetto?

Cheers,

Joel

* Re: BSP layers
@ 2015-10-01  0:02   ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2015-10-01  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Stanley; +Cc: openbmc

Hi Joel

Thx for the review.  I’m trying to get to a point where we can boot a Palmetto with these in the next few days.  I will follow up with another note.

Thx - Brad

> On Sep 29, 2015, at 8:44 PM, Joel Stanley <joel@jms.id.au> wrote:
>
> Hey Brad,
>
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 4:47 AM, Brad Bishop <brad@bwbmail.net> wrote:
>> https://github.com/bradbishop/meta-aspeed
>> https://github.com/bradbishop/meta-openpower
>
> Cool. I had a bit of a look.
>
> Feel free to send me patches for the issues in the kernel tree that
> you found. We don't want to be carrying patches to things where the
> fix should be in the repository, and that's especially true for
> components we own where the patch up-streaming is much easier.
>
> How do we go about building these into something I can boot on a palmetto?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joel

* Re: BSP layers
@ 2015-10-15  5:58     ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2015-10-15  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

Hi Brad,

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 9:32 AM, Brad Bishop <brad@bwbmail.net> wrote:
> Thx for the review.  I’m trying to get to a point where we can boot a Palmetto with these in the next few days.  I will follow up with another note.

I've spent my afternoon trying to figure out how to get bitbake to
build me an image that includes uboot and our openbmc kernel, without
luck. Can you point out what changes I need to make?

I'm at "ca82111 Merge pull request #16 from bradbishop/master".

Cheers,

Joel

* Re: BSP layers
@ 2015-10-15  6:28       ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2015-10-15  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 4:28 PM, Joel Stanley <joel@jms.id.au> wrote:
> I've spent my afternoon trying to figure out how to get bitbake to
> build me an image that includes uboot and our openbmc kernel, without
> luck. Can you point out what changes I need to make?

Apologies. Your other email to the list mentioned how to do this:

rm -rf build/conf
TEMPLATECONF=meta-openbmc-machines/meta-openpower/meta-ibm/meta-palmetto/conf
. oe-init-build-env

I've added some basic instructions to the front page of our wiki for now.

 https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki

Cheers,

Joel