* Statically linked libraries and license manifest
@ 2021-05-17 17:44 Jasper Orschulko
From: Jasper Orschulko @ 2021-05-17 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

* Re: [yocto] Statically linked libraries and license manifest
@ 2021-05-17 22:56 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2021-05-17 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jasper Orschulko, yocto

On 5/17/21 10:44 AM, Jasper Orschulko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my question more or less reiterates the following:
> https://www.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2018-July/041854.html
>
> I am trying to find a way to list statically linked libraries in the
> license manifest, but so far I am at a loss. To my understanding Yocto
> does not understand packages included using DEPENDS and not RDEPENDS as
> part of the resulting image, however technically source code from the
> dependee can (and will) end up on the image as part of the dependent
> package. This is a serious issue from a legal point of view, as the
> developer ultimately might end up with an incomplete list of licenses,
> when relying on the Yocto license manifest.
>
> Please, do correct me if I'm wrong :)

partly yes. there is a provision to disable static linking using
DISABLE_STATIC, so atleast some of packages can be cleared of. depends
are effective during build time and its the linking which decides on
static vs dynamic linking and bitbake does not have much control over
that but you can perhaps easily write a probe and extract this
information from linker cmdline perhaps by dumping linker map and post
processing it.

* Re: [yocto] Statically linked libraries and license manifest
@ 2021-05-20 16:00   ` Jasper Orschulko
From: Jasper Orschulko @ 2021-05-20 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, raj.khem

Hi Khem,

thanks for your reply. As far as I understand, the "proper" way is to
use dynamic linked libraries whenever possible? I have done some more
thinking on the matter, and at least in our case the packages in
question are empty (the base package that is, everything else is in
${PN}-src ${PN}-devstatic etc), so I believe the easiest way to include
these into the license manifest is to also add them to RDEPENDS and set
ALLOW_EMPTY_${PN} = "1". This should not change the output image, but
include the packages in the build, thus adding them to the license
manifest. What do you think?

- --
With best regards

Jasper Orschulko
DevOps Engineer

Tel. +49 30 58 58 14 265
Fax +49 30 58 58 14 999
Jasper.Orschulko@iris-sensing.com

iris-GmbH
infrared & intelligent sensors
Ostendstraße 1-14 | 12459 Berlin

https://iris-sensing.com/

@ 2021-05-20 16:04     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2021-05-20 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jasper Orschulko; +Cc: yocto

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 9:00 AM Jasper Orschulko
<Jasper.Orschulko@iris-sensing.com> wrote:

> Hi Khem,
>
> thanks for your reply. As far as I understand, the "proper" way is to
> use dynamic linked libraries whenever possible? I have done some more
> thinking on the matter, and at least in our case the packages in
> question are empty (the base package that is, everything else is in
> ${PN}-src ${PN}-devstatic etc), so I believe the easiest way to include
> these into the license manifest is to also add them to RDEPENDS and set
> ALLOW_EMPTY_${PN} = "1". This should not change the output image, but
> include the packages in the build, thus adding them to the license
> manifest. What do you think?

I am not sure why you will include empty packages in your manifest

@ 2021-05-20 16:17       ` Jasper Orschulko
From: Jasper Orschulko @ 2021-05-20 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raj.khem; +Cc: yocto

OK, maybe I did not make the issue clear enough:

I have a package A which statically links package B at compile time
(using DEPENDS).
As a result the package A is "tainted" with source code from package B.
However, as package B is only in the DEPENDS, not in the RDEPENDS, it
is not included in the license.manifest. As a result, the output image
violates the license terms of package B.

Now my idea comes into play:
Add package B to the RDEPENDS (even though the ${PN} package is empty
after the packages-split), which should result in package B's inclusion
in the license.manifest. Or am I approaching this completely wrong?

- --

@ 2021-05-20 17:17         ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2021-05-20 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jasper Orschulko; +Cc: yocto

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 9:18 AM Jasper Orschulko
<Jasper.Orschulko@iris-sensing.com> wrote:

> OK, maybe I did not make the issue clear enough:
>
> I have a package A which statically links package B at compile time
> (using DEPENDS).
> As a result the package A is "tainted" with source code from package B.
> However, as package B is only in the DEPENDS, not in the RDEPENDS, it
> is not included in the license.manifest. As a result, the output image
> violates the license terms of package B.
>
> Now my idea comes into play:
> Add package B to the RDEPENDS (even though the ${PN} package is empty
> after the packages-split), which should result in package B's inclusion
> in the license.manifest. Or am I approaching this completely wrong?

I see, this is a workaround that will work in this case but may not
work in case where the PN is not empty
but static linking it happening. So I think in cases of static linking
the parent recipe has to reflect that chage