* Is QEMU's vmxnet3 still being used?
@ 2021-08-18 13:42 Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2021-08-18 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: QEMU Developers, Dmitry Fleytman, Jason Wang
  Cc: Yuri Benditovich, Andrew Melnychenko, Leonid Bloch,
	Stefan Hajnoczi, Alexander Bulekov

  Hi all,

I recently noticed that we have quite a bunch of tickets against the vmxnet3
device in our bug trackers, which indicate that this device could be used to
crash QEMU in various ways:

  https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues?state=opened&search=vmxnet3

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu?field.searchtext=vmxnet3

Having hardly any knowledge about this device and its usage at all, I wonder
how much it is still used out there in the wild? If there are still many
users of this device, is there anybody interested here in helping to get
these crashes fixed in the near future? Otherwise, should we maybe rather
mark this device as deprecated and remove it in a couple of releases? What
do you think?

  Thomas