* Is QEMU's vmxnet3 still being used?
@ 2021-08-18 13:42 Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2021-08-18 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: QEMU Developers, Dmitry Fleytman, Jason Wang
  Cc: Yuri Benditovich, Andrew Melnychenko, Leonid Bloch,
	Stefan Hajnoczi, Alexander Bulekov

  Hi all,

I recently noticed that we have quite a bunch of tickets against the vmxnet3
device in our bug trackers, which indicate that this device could be used to
crash QEMU in various ways:

  https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues?state=opened&search=vmxnet3

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu?field.searchtext=vmxnet3

Having hardly any knowledge about this device and its usage at all, I wonder
how much it is still used out there in the wild? If there are still many
users of this device, is there anybody interested here in helping to get
these crashes fixed in the near future? Otherwise, should we maybe rather
mark this device as deprecated and remove it in a couple of releases? What
do you think?

  Thomas

* Re: Is QEMU's vmxnet3 still being used?
@ 2021-08-19  8:21 ` Jason Wang
From: Jason Wang @ 2021-08-19  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth
  Cc: Andrew Melnychenko, Dmitry Fleytman, Alexander Bulekov,
	Leonid Bloch, QEMU Developers, Yuri Benditovich, Stefan Hajnoczi

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 9:42 PM Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:

>   Hi all,
>
> I recently noticed that we have quite a bunch of tickets against the vmxnet3
> device in our bug trackers, which indicate that this device could be used to
> crash QEMU in various ways:
>
>   https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues?state=opened&search=vmxnet3
>
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu?field.searchtext=vmxnet3
>
> Having hardly any knowledge about this device and its usage at all, I wonder
> how much it is still used out there in the wild?

I guess it might have been used for virt-v2v in the past.

But I'm not sure what's the status now.

Thanks

@ 2021-08-19  8:32   ` Yan Vugenfirer
From: Yan Vugenfirer @ 2021-08-19  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Wang
  Cc: Thomas Huth, Dmitry Fleytman, Yuri Benditovich, Leonid Bloch,
	Andrew Melnychenko, QEMU Developers, Alexander Bulekov,
	Stefan Hajnoczi

Hi All,

I know it is used to develop DPDK support on Windows right now.
Previously it was used for different nested virtualization scenarios as
well.

Best regards,
Yan.

@ 2021-08-19  8:53 ` Daniel P. Berrangé
From: Daniel P. Berrangé @ 2021-08-19  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth
  Cc: Andrew Melnychenko, Dmitry Fleytman, Alexander Bulekov,

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 03:42:23PM +0200, Thomas Huth wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
> I recently noticed that we have quite a bunch of tickets against the vmxnet3
> device in our bug trackers, which indicate that this device could be used to
> crash QEMU in various ways:
>
>  https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues?state=opened&search=vmxnet3
>
>  https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu?field.searchtext=vmxnet3

IIUC, all except 3 of those bugs, are issues from the device fuzzer.

It is nice that we find those, but if we don't consider this a device
targetted at virtualization use cases, I don't think they're a reason
to remove the device.

> Having hardly any knowledge about this device and its usage at all, I wonder
> how much it is still used out there in the wild? If there are still many
> users of this device, is there anybody interested here in helping to get
> these crashes fixed in the near future? Otherwise, should we maybe rather
> mark this device as deprecated and remove it in a couple of releases? What
> do you think?

We've got countless NIC models in QEMU most of which have minimal users,
are possibly buggy, not actively maintained, but exist to support
non-virtualization use cases. We've especially not had "how many users
are there" as a criteria for acceptance or removal of a device.

Regards,
Daniel

* Re: Is QEMU's vmxnet3 still being used?
@ 2021-08-19  9:37   ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2021-08-19  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel P. Berrangé
  Cc: Thomas Huth, Dmitry Fleytman, Yuri Benditovich, Jason Wang,
	Leonid Bloch, Andrew Melnychenko, QEMU Developers,

On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 at 09:54, Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:
> We've especially not had "how many users
> are there" as a criteria for acceptance or removal of a device.

...not least because we have no accurate way to determine
the answer to that question!

-- PMM

* Re: Is QEMU's vmxnet3 still being used?
@ 2021-08-24  6:14   ` Markus Armbruster
From: Markus Armbruster @ 2021-08-24  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel P. Berrangé
  Cc: Thomas Huth, Dmitry Fleytman, Yuri Benditovich, Jason Wang,

Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 03:42:23PM +0200, Thomas Huth wrote:
>>
>>  Hi all,
>>
>> I recently noticed that we have quite a bunch of tickets against the vmxnet3
>> device in our bug trackers, which indicate that this device could be used to
>> crash QEMU in various ways:
>>
>>  https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues?state=opened&search=vmxnet3
>>
>>  https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu?field.searchtext=vmxnet3
>
> IIUC, all except 3 of those bugs, are issues from the device fuzzer.
>
> It is nice that we find those, but if we don't consider this a device
> targetted at virtualization use cases, I don't think they're a reason
> to remove the device.
>
>> Having hardly any knowledge about this device and its usage at all, I wonder
>> how much it is still used out there in the wild? If there are still many
>> users of this device, is there anybody interested here in helping to get
>> these crashes fixed in the near future? Otherwise, should we maybe rather
>> mark this device as deprecated and remove it in a couple of releases? What
>> do you think?
>
> We've got countless NIC models in QEMU most of which have minimal users,
> are possibly buggy, not actively maintained, but exist to support
> non-virtualization use cases. We've especially not had "how many users
> are there" as a criteria for acceptance or removal of a device.

I accept "good enough for intended use", and that certain kinds of bugs
are much less serious in emulation use than in virtualization use.

Still, there's a difference between "possibly buggy" and "perennially
unmaintained / can't even be bothered to fix known bugs".  Why should we
carry code that isn't of sufficient interest to anyone to motivate basic
care?

Moreover, having drastically different code quality requirements in the
tree is problematic.  Compounded by them being less than obvious.  If
people knew nobody cared for bugs in hw/mumble/mutter.c, they could save
themselves the trouble of fuzzing or otherwise examining it.  They might
even be dissuaded from copying (quite possibly bad) code from it.

I do believe the way we operate promotes misallocation of (scarce)
resources.

From: Markus Armbruster @ 2021-08-24  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell
  Cc: Thomas Huth, Dmitry Fleytman, Daniel P. Berrangé,
	Alexander Bulekov, Jason Wang, Leonid Bloch, Andrew Melnychenko,

Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> writes:

> On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 at 09:54, Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com> wrote:
>> We've especially not had "how many users
>> are there" as a criteria for acceptance or removal of a device.
>
> ...not least because we have no accurate way to determine
> the answer to that question!

I'd like to posit an approximate answer: "enough" if somebody is willing
to provide basic care for the code, else "not enough".

"Basic care" includes taking care of known bugs.  CLOSED/WONTFIX because
$reasons is an option.  Not even looking is not.