* Re: [MPTCP] [Weekly meetings] MoM - 25th of April 2019
@ 2019-04-30 14:29 Paolo Abeni
From: Paolo Abeni @ 2019-04-30 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

On Mon, 2019-04-29 at 11:02 -0700, Mat Martineau wrote:
> If we can merge the beginning of the patch set in our repo, I think it
> will be much easier to coordinate our work by appending commits rather
> than constantly revising the whole series. I think we're getting close to
> that point, and after the pushing RFCv10 we may be in a good position to
> merge the earlier patches and then focus on new commits (or commits that
> can be easily squashed).

I agree with this kind of approach. I would take it to the extent of
accepting the patchset as is, and than handle whatever is needed with
incremental patches.

WDYT?

Thanks,

Paolo

* Re: [MPTCP] [Weekly meetings] MoM - 25th of April 2019
@ 2019-05-02 16:58 Matthieu Baerts
From: Matthieu Baerts @ 2019-05-02 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

Hi Florian,

On 02/05/2019 17:53, Florian Westphal wrote:
> Paolo Abeni <pabeni(a)redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2019-04-29 at 11:02 -0700, Mat Martineau wrote:
>>> If we can merge the beginning of the patch set in our repo, I think it
>>> will be much easier to coordinate our work by appending commits rather
>>> than constantly revising the whole series. I think we're getting close to
>>> that point, and after the pushing RFCv10 we may be in a good position to
>>> merge the earlier patches and then focus on new commits (or commits that
>>> can be easily squashed).
>>
>> I agree with this kind of approach. I would take it to the extent of
>> accepting the patchset as is, and than handle whatever is needed with
>> incremental patches.
>
> Also agree.  Squashing simple changes (test case improvements, spelling
> fixes and so on) is fine but for everything else I would prefer new commits.
>
> There can be one larger rebase/squash effort once its decided that a
> netdev rfc submission is to be made.
>
> Until then, constant rebasing is just a waste of time imo.
>
> New commits-on-top would make it easier to track development too.

Sorry, I just saw your email now and understood what Paolo and Mat were
saying about incremental patches: we can focus on new commits and rebase
later.

Anyway I guess it is easier if one person does that to avoid working on
a different base.
As I use to work with TopGit, I think it is not an issue for me to
maintain the code with this tool. If one fix is linked to one commit, I
can cherry-pick/apply the fix in the right topic. If not, I can also add
a new topic at the end. Except if you think using TopGit will create
more issues for you guys than it will solve?

Thanks,
Matt
--
Matthieu Baerts | R&D Engineer
matthieu.baerts(a)tessares.net

* Re: [MPTCP] [Weekly meetings] MoM - 25th of April 2019
@ 2019-05-02 15:53 Florian Westphal
From: Florian Westphal @ 2019-05-02 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

@ 2019-04-30 23:18 Mat Martineau
From: Mat Martineau @ 2019-04-30 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019, Paolo Abeni wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2019-04-29 at 11:02 -0700, Mat Martineau wrote:
>> If we can merge the beginning of the patch set in our repo, I think it
>> will be much easier to coordinate our work by appending commits rather
>> than constantly revising the whole series. I think we're getting close to
>> that point, and after the pushing RFCv10 we may be in a good position to
>> merge the earlier patches and then focus on new commits (or commits that
>> can be easily squashed).
>
> I agree with this kind of approach. I would take it to the extent of
> accepting the patchset as is, and than handle whatever is needed with
> incremental patches.
>
> WDYT?

I'd like to know what others think too. Now that we have more people
modifying the kernel code, we need a process that gives more visibility
and doesn't leave people waiting between RFC revisions. I agree that
incremental patches would let us move forward better, even if we have to
do some squashing and rearranging later.

--
Mat Martineau
Intel

* Re: [MPTCP] [Weekly meetings] MoM - 25th of April 2019
@ 2019-04-29 18:02 Mat Martineau
From: Mat Martineau @ 2019-04-29 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019, Matthieu Baerts wrote:

> Hi Paolo,
>
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 3:29 PM Paolo Abeni <pabeni(a)redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, 2019-04-25 at 18:28 +0200, Matthieu Baerts wrote:
>>> Initial architecture:
>>>     - Paolo will do a new iteration of his fixes/improvement we
>>> discussed last week
>>
>> I think I'll wait for Mat's rework to post next iteration, to avoid
>> conflicts - unless others have different opinions.
>>
>> Apropos: keeping track of the pending patches is quite difficult for
>> me. Do others have similar issues?

This is an issue with the way we're doing things currently.

We've been making changes based on gerrit feedback across the patch set.
This creates a couple of challenges:

1: The information about what's getting fixed is spread across different
reviews in gerrit

2: Changing things early in the series involves the extra work of
resolving conflicts and testing throughout the series

It's definitely important to improve what we're doing to keep everyone
informed about what is going on, and to make it easier to coordinate now
that we have more contributors.

@ 2019-04-29 14:00 Matthieu Baerts
From: Matthieu Baerts @ 2019-04-29 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

Hi Paolo,

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 3:29 PM Paolo Abeni <pabeni(a)redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2019-04-25 at 18:28 +0200, Matthieu Baerts wrote:
> > Initial architecture:
> >     - Paolo will do a new iteration of his fixes/improvement we
> > discussed last week
>
> I think I'll wait for Mat's rework to post next iteration, to avoid
> conflicts - unless others have different opinions.
>
> Apropos: keeping track of the pending patches is quite difficult for
> me. Do others have similar issues?
>
> I think/hope that a more incremental approach (merge the patches
> eariler - especially bug-fixes - and ev. do follow-up if needed) could
> simplify the situation. WDYT?

I understand it is not easy to keep track.
The original idea was to merge Mat & Peter's patch-set in our repo
once they are accepted (+2) in Gerrit
https://review.gerrithub.io/c/multipath-tcp/mptcp_net-next/+/448886/2

Then we hope it will be easier and quicker to maintain these patches.

Do you think we could go for this approach? Or do you think it will
still be hard to keep track and maintain everything?

Best regards,
Matthieu

--

@ 2019-04-29 13:29 Paolo Abeni
From: Paolo Abeni @ 2019-04-29 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

@ 2019-04-27  0:29 Mat Martineau
From: Mat Martineau @ 2019-04-27  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019, Matthieu Baerts wrote:

>    - Mat & Peter hope to push to Gerrit soon!

Unfortunately I couldn't get this pushed out this week, we got bogged down
resolving some conflicts and I'd like to squash some recent changes from
the mailing list. But like the above says, soon!

--
Mat Martineau
Intel

* [MPTCP] [Weekly meetings] MoM - 25th of April 2019
@ 2019-04-25 16:28 Matthieu Baerts
From: Matthieu Baerts @ 2019-04-25 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp