* What is the difference between Montavista Kernel Source and Kernel.Org Source
@ 2007-02-17 15:09 Mohammad Sadegh Sadri
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mohammad Sadegh Sadri @ 2007-02-17 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

Hi All,

Just a simple question

I'm Going to use linux on ML403.

I want to know, what is the difference between the linux kernel source, tha=
t we download from source.mvista.com ( using git ) and the original kernel =
source code that we download from kernel.org?

In other words, Suppose that I have generated the BSP in EDK ( version 8.2.=
02 ) , and now , I copy this BSP to the root folder of kernel source obtain=
ed from kernel.org instead of mvista. Can I do the same things as mvista so=
urce in this case?

Thanks.
Personalize your Live.com homepage with the news, weather, and photos you c=
are about.
http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx?icid=3DT001MSN30A0701=

* RE: What is the difference between Montavista Kernel Source andKernel.Org Source
@ 2007-02-17 17:51 ` Eric Nuckols
From: Eric Nuckols @ 2007-02-17 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mamsadegh, linuxppc-embedded

>From: Mohammad Sadegh Sadri <mamsadegh@hotmail.com>
>Subject: What is the difference between Montavista Kernel Source
>andKernel.Org Source
>Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 15:09:29 +0000
>
>I want to know, what is the difference between the linux kernel source,
>that we download from source.mvista.com ( using git ) and the original
>kernel source code that we download from kernel.org?
>
>In other words, Suppose that I have generated the BSP in EDK ( version
>8.2.02 ) , and now , I copy this BSP to the root folder of kernel source
>obtained from kernel.org instead of mvista. Can I do the same things as
>mvista source in this case?

I would recommend doing a diff across the two source trees.
Since there are so many different versions and patches available, it is the
only way to really know the true differences.  It's usually never as simple
as just knowing based on the version numbers alone.

Don’t miss your chance to WIN 10 hours of private jet travel from Microsoft®

* Re: What is the difference between Montavista Kernel Source and Kernel.Org Source
@ 2007-02-17 20:08 ` Dale Farnsworth
From: Dale Farnsworth @ 2007-02-17 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

> I'm Going to use linux on ML403.
>
> I want to know, what is the difference between the linux kernel source,
> that we download from source.mvista.com ( using git ) and the original
> kernel source code that we download from kernel.org?

The multiple git trees hosted at source.mvista.com/git are development
trees similar to the trees hosted at www.kernel.org/git.  Contact the
individual developers for details on each tree.

Dale Farnsworth

* RE: What is the difference between Montavista Kernel Source andKernel.Org Source
@ 2007-02-18 13:54 ` Ming Liu
From: Ming Liu @ 2007-02-18 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mamsadegh; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Hi all,

>I want to know, what is the difference between the linux kernel source,
that we download from source.mvista.com ( using git ) and the original
kernel source code that we download from kernel.org?

In fact, I have a same question. I also want to know what's the most
obvious difference between Mvista and the common kernel. In detail, is
there any different mechanism for Montavista to make sure a better
performance, like Ethernet? In my project, it generates a different
ethernet performance for my general kernel from Montavista 4.01. I want to
make sure if Montavista have something special to guarantee a higher
performance.

Another question. Because Montavista kernel is also based on the open
source linux kernel from the general tree, does this mean that the
Montavista one is also open source and could be free to be distributed
according to GPL. However as far as I know, that's not true. :)

BR
Ming

* RE: What is the difference between Montavista Kernel SourceandKernel.Org Source
@ 2007-02-18 15:49   ` Eric Nuckols
From: Eric Nuckols @ 2007-02-18 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eemingliu, mamsadegh; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

>From: "Ming Liu" <eemingliu@hotmail.com>
>To: mamsadegh@hotmail.com
>Subject: RE: What is the difference between Montavista Kernel
>SourceandKernel.Org Source
>Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 13:54:13 +0000
>
>In fact, I have a same question. I also want to know what's the most
>obvious difference between Mvista and the common kernel. In detail, is
>there any different mechanism for Montavista to make sure a better
>performance, like Ethernet? In my project, it generates a different
>ethernet performance for my general kernel from Montavista 4.01. I want to
>make sure if Montavista have something special to guarantee a higher
>performance.
>
>Another question. Because Montavista kernel is also based on the open
>source linux kernel from the general tree, does this mean that the
>Montavista one is also open source and could be free to be distributed
>according to GPL. However as far as I know, that's not true. :)
>
>BR
>Ming

I have worked with MontaVista Pro 3.1 (2.4.20 MontaVista Linux Kernel) and
the main (significant) differences that I saw between MontaVista and say the
ELDK 2.4.25 kernel were:

1.  PREEMPTION PATCH was included in MontaVista 3.1
2.  MontaVista's MMU, scheduling, and forking code was different than the
main stream.  It had some patches added in.
3.  There was quite a bit of difference between the asm-ppc trees  (i.e many
places with board specific #define differences )
4.  Between the 2.4.20 MontaVista and the 2.4.25 ELDK, obvious driver
improvements and kernel improvements had been added in, but I attribute that
mostly to the jump from 2.4.20 to 2.4.25.

I had problems with the MontaVista kernel where processes were randomly
crashing because of SIGSEGV or SIGFPEs.  I couldn't find any info on the
internet and didn't have time to debug the kernel.  I eventually switched to
the ELDK 2.4.25 kernel and all my random crashing problems disappeared...
and I don't really see huge performance differences (IN MY SPECIFIC
APPLICATION) without the kernel PREEMPTION.

Play Flexicon: the crossword game that feeds your brain. PLAY now for FREE.
  http://zone.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmtagline

* RE: What is the difference between Montavista Kernel SourceandKernel.Org Source
@ 2007-02-18 16:25     ` Ming Liu
From: Ming Liu @ 2007-02-18 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jrocnuck; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Dear Eric,
Thanks for your reply first.

>>Another question. Because Montavista kernel is also based on the
>>open
>>source linux kernel from the general tree, does this mean that the
>>Montavista one is also open source and could be free to be
>>distributed
>>according to GPL. However as far as I know, that's not true. :)

Because you have worked for Montavista Linux, so could you please answer me
this question? I know that anyone can distribute and modify GPL source code
and then the modified code also obey GPL. So how about Montavista Linux? :)
I am just a little confused with this rule.

BR
Ming

免费下载 MSN Explorer:   http://explorer.msn.com/lccn/

* RE: What is the difference between Montavista Kernel SourceandKernel.Org Source
@ 2007-02-18 20:55       ` Eric Nuckols
From: Eric Nuckols @ 2007-02-18 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eemingliu; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

>From: "Ming Liu" <eemingliu@hotmail.com>
>To: jrocnuck@hotmail.com
>CC: linuxppc-embedded@ozlabs.org
>Subject: RE: What is the difference between Montavista Kernel
>SourceandKernel.Org Source
>Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 16:25:55 +0000
>
>Dear Eric,
>Thanks for your reply first.
>
>>>Another question. Because Montavista kernel is also based on the open
>>>source linux kernel from the general tree, does this mean that the
>>>Montavista one is also open source and could be free to be distributed
>>>according to GPL. However as far as I know, that's not true. :)
>
>Because you have worked for Montavista Linux, so could you please answer me
>this question? I know that anyone can distribute and modify GPL source code
>and then the modified code also obey GPL. So how about Montavista Linux? :)
>I am just a little confused with this rule.
>
>BR
>Ming

I only used their product (purchased a license of their tools/product).  I
am not in a position to answer legal/licensing questions about MontaVista
Linux.  You should contact their sales department for information regarding
this type of question.

Find what you need at prices you’ll love. Compare products and save at MSN®
Shopping.
http://shopping.msn.com/default/shp/?ptnrid=37,ptnrdata=24102&tcode=T001MSN20A0701