* NVMe-CLI issue on Ubuntu 18.04 Kernel
@ 2020-03-31 14:21 Jeffrey Lien
From: Jeffrey Lien @ 2020-03-31 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nvme, Keith Busch; +Cc: Kenneth Burgener, Randy Bates

We are seeing the following error message when executing the "nvme list" command on Ubuntu 18.04 with the 4.15.0 kernel:
root@lmt-store-17:~/.src/nvme-cli-old# nvme list
Failed to open /sys/class/nvme-subsystem/nvme-subsys0/nvme0/address: No such file or directory

It does not seem to effect the completion of the command; it's just extra noise back from the command.  I'm not sure why the address is not present with the 4.15.0 kernel, but also not sure what it's used for by the nvme cli code.  It's referenced in the scan_ctrl function in nvme-topology.c part but I don't think it's used by any other functions.   Is it ok to just remove the reference to the address attribute in the the nvme cli code?  Or is there a better fix for this issue?

Jeff Lien
Linux Device Driver Development
Device Host Apps and Drivers
jeff.lien@wdc.com
o: 507-322-2416 (ext. 23-2416)
m: 507-273-9124

* Re: NVMe-CLI issue on Ubuntu 18.04 Kernel
@ 2020-03-31 14:32 ` Keith Busch
From: Keith Busch @ 2020-03-31 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey Lien; +Cc: Kenneth Burgener, Randy Bates, linux-nvme

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 02:21:01PM +0000, Jeffrey Lien wrote:
> We are seeing the following error message when executing the "nvme list" command on Ubuntu 18.04 with the 4.15.0 kernel:
> root@lmt-store-17:~/.src/nvme-cli-old# nvme list
> Failed to open /sys/class/nvme-subsystem/nvme-subsys0/nvme0/address: No such file or directory
>
> It does not seem to effect the completion of the command; it's just extra noise back from the command.  I'm not sure why the address is not present with the 4.15.0 kernel, but also not sure what it's used for by the nvme cli code.  It's referenced in the scan_ctrl function in nvme-topology.c part but I don't think it's used by any other functions.   Is it ok to just remove the reference to the address attribute in the the nvme cli code?  Or is there a better fix for this issue?

I think we should suppress the output in this case. We don't need the
'address' attribute, though it's nice to have.

* RE: NVMe-CLI issue on Ubuntu 18.04 Kernel
@ 2020-03-31 16:09   ` Jeffrey Lien
From: Jeffrey Lien @ 2020-03-31 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Busch; +Cc: Kenneth Burgener, Randy Bates, linux-nvme

Sounds good Keith.   We'll make the change to the nvme cli code and submit a pull req.

Jeff Lien

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of Western Digital. Do not click on links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know that the content is safe.