* Is test_offload.py supposed to work?
@ 2020-11-20 15:46 Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen @ 2020-11-20 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Kicinski, Jiri Pirko; +Cc: bpf, netdev

Hi Jakub and Jiri

I am investigating an error with XDP offload mode, and figured I'd run
'test_offload.py' from selftests. However, I'm unable to get it to run
successfully; am I missing some config options, or has it simply
bit-rotted to the point where it no longer works?

[root@(none) bpf]# ./test_offload.py
Test destruction of generic XDP...
Test TC non-offloaded...
Test TC non-offloaded isn't getting bound...
Test TC offloads are off by default...
FAIL: Missing or incorrect netlink extack message
  File "./test_offload.py", line 836, in <module>
    check_extack(err, "TC offload is disabled on net device.", args)
  File "./test_offload.py", line 657, in check_extack
    fail(not comp, "Missing or incorrect netlink extack message")
  File "./test_offload.py", line 86, in fail
    tb = "".join(traceback.extract_stack().format())

Commenting out that line gets me a bit further:

[root@(none) bpf]# ./test_offload.py
Test destruction of generic XDP...
Test TC non-offloaded...
Test TC non-offloaded isn't getting bound...
Test TC offloads are off by default...
Test TC offload by default...
Test TC cBPF bytcode tries offload by default...
Test TC cBPF unbound bytecode doesn't offload...
Test non-0 chain offload...
FAIL: Missing or incorrect netlink extack message
  File "./test_offload.py", line 876, in <module>
    check_extack(err, "Driver supports only offload of chain 0.", args)
  File "./test_offload.py", line 657, in check_extack
    fail(not comp, "Missing or incorrect netlink extack message")
  File "./test_offload.py", line 86, in fail
    tb = "".join(traceback.extract_stack().format())

And again, after which I gave up:

[root@(none) bpf]# ./test_offload.py
Test destruction of generic XDP...
Test TC non-offloaded...
Test TC non-offloaded isn't getting bound...
Test TC offloads are off by default...
Test TC offload by default...
Test TC cBPF bytcode tries offload by default...
Test TC cBPF unbound bytecode doesn't offload...
Test non-0 chain offload...
Test TC replace...
Test TC replace bad flags...
Test spurious extack from the driver...
Test TC offloads work...
FAIL: Missing or incorrect message from netdevsim in verifier log
  File "./test_offload.py", line 920, in <module>
    check_verifier_log(err, "[netdevsim] Hello from netdevsim!")
  File "./test_offload.py", line 671, in check_verifier_log
    fail(True, "Missing or incorrect message from netdevsim in verifier log")
  File "./test_offload.py", line 86, in fail
    tb = "".join(traceback.extract_stack().format())

-Toke

* Re: Is test_offload.py supposed to work?
@ 2020-11-20 16:48 ` Jakub Kicinski
From: Jakub Kicinski @ 2020-11-20 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen; +Cc: Jiri Pirko, bpf, netdev

On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 16:46:51 +0100 Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> Hi Jakub and Jiri
>
> I am investigating an error with XDP offload mode, and figured I'd run
> 'test_offload.py' from selftests. However, I'm unable to get it to run
> successfully; am I missing some config options, or has it simply
> bit-rotted to the point where it no longer works?

Yeah it must have bit rotted, there are no config options to get
wrong there AFAIK.

It shouldn't be too hard to fix tho, it's just a python script...

* Re: Is test_offload.py supposed to work?
@ 2020-11-20 20:02 ` Andrii Nakryiko
From: Andrii Nakryiko @ 2020-11-20 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
  Cc: Jakub Kicinski, Jiri Pirko, bpf, Networking

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 7:49 AM Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Jakub and Jiri
>
> I am investigating an error with XDP offload mode, and figured I'd run
> 'test_offload.py' from selftests. However, I'm unable to get it to run
> successfully; am I missing some config options, or has it simply
> bit-rotted to the point where it no longer works?

See also discussion in [0]

  [0] https://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg697523.html

@ 2020-11-23 10:31   ` Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen @ 2020-11-23 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Kicinski; +Cc: Jiri Pirko, bpf, netdev

Jakub Kicinski <kuba@kernel.org> writes:

> On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 16:46:51 +0100 Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>> Hi Jakub and Jiri
>>
>> I am investigating an error with XDP offload mode, and figured I'd run
>> 'test_offload.py' from selftests. However, I'm unable to get it to run
>> successfully; am I missing some config options, or has it simply
>> bit-rotted to the point where it no longer works?
>
> Yeah it must have bit rotted, there are no config options to get
> wrong there AFAIK.
>
> It shouldn't be too hard to fix tho, it's just a python script...

Right, I'll take a stab at fixing it, just wanted to make sure I wasn't
missing something obvious; thanks!

From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen @ 2020-11-23 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrii Nakryiko; +Cc: Jakub Kicinski, Jiri Pirko, bpf, Networking

Andrii Nakryiko <andrii.nakryiko@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 7:49 AM Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jakub and Jiri
>>
>> I am investigating an error with XDP offload mode, and figured I'd run
>> 'test_offload.py' from selftests. However, I'm unable to get it to run
>> successfully; am I missing some config options, or has it simply
>> bit-rotted to the point where it no longer works?
>>

> See also discussion in [0]
>
>   [0] https://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg697523.html

Ah, right, thanks for the pointer :)

-Toke