* Is using 802.11s with DFS possible?
@ 2017-06-29  1:54 Zach Sherin
From: Zach Sherin @ 2017-06-29  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath10k

Hi all,

I've been running some experiments in LEDE thanks to your help many
months ago, and I want to use DFS frequencies with my mesh network.
Does ath10k currently support this or am I up a creek? My tests show
that I can use DFS frequencies with AP mode but have always failed
when I use them in a mesh, such that the interface won't even start.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time,
Zach

PS: I'm using an Archer C7 v2, latest stable LEDE build with the
built-in ath10k firmware. Meshing on channel 36 is fine, but anything
that requires DFS fails.

* Re: Is using 802.11s with DFS possible?
@ 2017-06-29 17:53 ` Peter Oh
From: Peter Oh @ 2017-06-29 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zach Sherin, ath10k

On 06/28/2017 06:54 PM, Zach Sherin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been running some experiments in LEDE thanks to your help many
> months ago, and I want to use DFS frequencies with my mesh network.
> Does ath10k currently support this or am I up a creek? My tests show
> that I can use DFS frequencies with AP mode but have always failed
> when I use them in a mesh, such that the interface won't even start.
>
> Any suggestions?
As far as I know, no DFS channels enabled in mesh mode at this moment.
To support DFS channels in mesh mode, wpa_supplicant and mac80211
changes are required.

@ 2017-06-30  4:08   ` Chun-Yeow Yeoh
From: Chun-Yeow Yeoh @ 2017-06-30  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Oh; +Cc: Zach Sherin, benjamin, ath10k, Simon Wunderlich

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 1:53 AM, Peter Oh <peter.oh@bowerswilkins.com> wrote:

> On 06/28/2017 06:54 PM, Zach Sherin wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been running some experiments in LEDE thanks to your help many
>> months ago, and I want to use DFS frequencies with my mesh network.
>> Does ath10k currently support this or am I up a creek? My tests show
>> that I can use DFS frequencies with AP mode but have always failed
>> when I use them in a mesh, such that the interface won't even start.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> As far as I know, no DFS channels enabled in mesh mode at this moment.
> To support DFS channels in mesh mode, wpa_supplicant and mac80211 changes
> are required.

https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg162307.html
Simon and Benjamin have submitted the above patches and some of them
has upstream to mac80211-next.

Perhaps, Simon and Benjamin can comment on this.

----
Chun-Yeow

@ 2017-06-30  9:48     ` Simon Wunderlich
From: Simon Wunderlich @ 2017-06-30  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chun-Yeow Yeoh; +Cc: Zach Sherin, benjamin, ath10k, Peter Oh

On Friday, June 30, 2017 12:08:51 PM CEST Chun-Yeow Yeoh wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 1:53 AM, Peter Oh <peter.oh@bowerswilkins.com>
wrote:
> > On 06/28/2017 06:54 PM, Zach Sherin wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I've been running some experiments in LEDE thanks to your help many
> >> months ago, and I want to use DFS frequencies with my mesh network.
> >> Does ath10k currently support this or am I up a creek? My tests show
> >> that I can use DFS frequencies with AP mode but have always failed
> >> when I use them in a mesh, such that the interface won't even start.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?
> >
> > As far as I know, no DFS channels enabled in mesh mode at this moment.
> > To support DFS channels in mesh mode, wpa_supplicant and mac80211 changes
> > are required.
>
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg162307.html
> Simon and Benjamin have submitted the above patches and some of them
> has upstream to mac80211-next.
>
> Perhaps, Simon and Benjamin can comment on this.

Our mac80211 patches have been upstreamed. However, the (experimental)
wpa_supplicant patches have not been adopted and I've reworked them a little
but they are not in a state to resubmit yet. So I don't expect the
wpa_supplicant portion to work yet, and you also may need to think of a good
way to have the mesh peers on a channel succession order.

Cheers,
     Simon

[-- Attachment #1.2: This is a digitally signed message part. --]

* Re: Is using 802.11s with DFS possible?
@ 2017-06-30 11:23       ` Benjamin Berg
From: Benjamin Berg @ 2017-06-30 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Wunderlich, Chun-Yeow Yeoh; +Cc: Zach Sherin, ath10k, Peter Oh